Honeymoon Discussions

Unique Honeymoon Ideas for May?

Hi there! I'm getting married on 5/7/16 and my fiance and I are trying to think of a unique (and somewhat affordable!) place to go for our honeymoon that has a good mix of adventure, relaxation, and great scenery. We've looked into places like Banff in Canada (which we're worried might be too cold in May), Lake Tahoe, and tropical places with all-inclusive resorts. Does anyone have any recommendations of anywhere with fun things to do, good weather in May, and reasonable pricing? We'll be traveling from Houston. Thanks in advance!!

Re: Unique Honeymoon Ideas for May?

• "Unique"?  What?
    Since you are in Houston, you might consider a cruise down to Belize.
    Grand Canyon?
    Vail, CO?
    Jackson Hole, WY?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks for the ideas!

We were originally going for something "unique" before we realized weather might be an issue. Of course I realize Lake Tahoe and Sandals resorts aren't unique, but I'm hoping we can find something with mountains/water/hiking somewhere that isn't chilly. We hadn't considered Jackson Hole so we'll look into that! Thanks!!
  • Maybe Southern California?  We did an awesome hike in Palm Springs in April to the top of San Jacinto Peak.  It's much cooler towards the base after you get off the Aerial Tramway, and when we got to the summit there were flurries.  It was one of our favorite hikes.  There is plenty to do in Southern California.  It would be nice to rent a car and drive the coastline, taking little adventures along the way.
  • One thing to keep in mind, Jackson Hole is beautiful and I love going there but it is in the mountains and who knows what the weather is going to look like that time of year so if you aren't wanting cooler weather (highs in the 60's possible snow/rain over night) I would rule that one out for May. For better weather I would stay out of the PNW, growing up here and still living here I can tell you that it will be very hit and miss for sunshine that time of year. 

CA was a great suggestion, AZ will be hot as well and if you like to golf that's a good option. If you are looking for mountains/water/hiking have you thought about pushing a honeymoon back by about a month? If you get into later June then the weather up by the mountains this way will be beautiful and you can get the best of all of what you are looking for.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Smokey Mountains/Asheville, NC/Gatlinburg, TN?  Lots to do from outdoor activities to historic attractions to amazing spas.  High temps tend to be in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s in May.

• Hi there! I'm getting married on 5/7/16 and my fiance and I are trying to think of a unique (and somewhat affordable!) place to go for our honeymoon that has a good mix of adventure, relaxation, and great scenery. We've looked into places like Banff in Canada (which we're worried might be too cold in May), Lake Tahoe, and tropical places with all-inclusive resorts. Does anyone have any recommendations of anywhere with fun things to do, good weather in May, and reasonable pricing? We'll be traveling from Houston. Thanks in advance!!

Banff won't be bad in May, unless you're planning on camping there.  It'll be cold at night until the last week or so of May, though if you have the gear to camp, it's doable.  Daytime will be  in the teens to low 20's Celsius, so if you have a light jacket you'll be fine.  I was there in the beginning of Ma and it was already that temp during the day.

You can also tie in with Jasper and hit up the Columbia Ice Fields, the Jasper Skywalk and lots of hiking and outdoor stuff.  

• Big Sur. Santa barbara. Laguna Beach. Redondo beach. All in ca.
  • Fiance and I pulled up the Kayak Explorer tool (it lets you see the cheapest flight to every major city from your airport during a specific month or the full year), entered our airport in and the month we wanted to honeymoon, and literally picked the least expensive overseas flight since we wanted to travel internationally.  
  •  I recommend going to a travel agent and tell them your wish list of preferred temps, what type of activities you would like, would you prefer cabin type stays, versus an all inclusive type place with side trips available and most importantly, what your budget it. Then they can provide you with information on different options on places that fit what you are looking for & what you can afford.
  • Ok, this is ridiculous. Stop spamming the boards - you're not allowed to advertise. @Jells2dot0 - can you please ban user and get rid of all these posts?
  • We're getting married a week after you! We're going to New Orleans and renting a house. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards