Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Spotlight Dances

I do not get along with my father so my brother is walking me down the aisle. I asked him to do a spotlight dance with me but he said no (he's a shy teenage boy) and I said that's fine. I am not dancing with my father. I want to remove the spotlight dances other than the bride/groom first dance. However, my fiances mom is insistent on having the special mother/son dance.

What should I do? Is it okay just to allow a mother/son dance even though there will be no special bride/other person dance?

Re: Spotlight Dances

• I do not get along with my father so my brother is walking me down the aisle. I asked him to do a spotlight dance with me but he said no (he's a shy teenage boy) and I said that's fine. I am not dancing with my father. I want to remove the spotlight dances other than the bride/groom first dance. However, my fiances mom is insistent on having the special mother/son dance.

What should I do? Is it okay just to allow a mother/son dance even though there will be no special bride/other person dance?
    It would be completely fine to have just a mother/son dance. A lot of people on this board state the less spotlight dances the better anyway.
  • Don't rob your fiancé and his mother of their dance (assuming your fiancé wants one) just because you aren't doing one.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • You don't have to dance with your father if you don't want, but it would be unfair to take that honor away from your FMIL and your fi.

• Just because you are not dancing with your father doesn't mean your FI shouldn't dance with his mother.
  • You should let him do the mother/son dance. If you really want to have your spotlight dance too, why not consider asking you FFIL to do a dance with you? That might be cute, like a welcome into their family.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I have posted this several times before, but it has been a while.
    This is what you should do:  After your first dance is over, you take your groom by the hand and walk with him over to his mother.  You put her hand in his, and stand, smiling with tears in your eyes and your hands clasped in delight, as they dance together.  Everybody will think that you are the bride of the year!  After this, you and your groom can return to seats, or everybody can join you on the dance floor.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    This is what you should do:  After your first dance is over, you take your groom by the hand and walk with him over to his mother.  You put her hand in his, and stand, smiling with tears in your eyes and your hands clasped in delight, as they dance together.  Everybody will think that you are the bride of the year!  After this, you and your groom can return to seats, or everybody can join you on the dance floor.
    You should do this, but only because I can picture it and am laughing right now at the adorableness.  "smiling with tears in your eyes and your hands clasped in delight."  Do it.  But only if you can bring tears to your eyes.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    CMGragain said:
    You should do this, but only because I can picture it and am laughing right now at the adorableness.  "smiling with tears in your eyes and your hands clasped in delight."  Do it.  But only if you can bring tears to your eyes.

I think expecting this from someone who posted here because they were close to their father who is now dead and whom they can't dance with is expecting way too much and it's over-the-top. 

OP, you should only do this if you want to-you shouldn't do it because someone else thinks you "should."

• Jen4948 said:
    CMGragain said:

I think expecting this from someone who posted here because they were close to their father who is now dead and whom they can't dance with is expecting way too much and it's over-the-top. 

OP, you should only do this if you want to-you shouldn't do it because someone else thinks you "should."

Should I have used the sarcasm font?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    adk19 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    CMGragain said:

Should I have used the sarcasm font?
    If you meant to be sarcastic.  Sorry if I misunderstood! ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards