Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Indoor or outdoor reception?

My wedding is going to be a summer wedding (end of July), and I'm wondering if I should have an indoor or outdoor reception? 

I was thinking indoor so people don't get too hot and so there won't be any issues of inclement weather. 

My #1 spot that I'm thinking about for the reception has an indoor space that leads to outdoor space that can be utilized, so that's kind of the best of both worlds. What do you think?

Re: Indoor or outdoor reception?

• Options
    it's your call really.  Do what setting you like best.  Yes weather can be an issue so always good to find a place that in the event of a weather crisis you can easily have a plan B in place.  Our ceremony was outside in early June--we picked early June specifically because its usually not that hot; Weather was projected to be in the high 80s.  That week at 6pm weather was a cool 79/80...well the day of the wedding the weather spiked and it was 100 degrees when I walked down the aisle. But luckily there was a nice breeze and my venue staff was prepared with water, parasols and fans fans so guests were not uncomfortable.  They set up in a more shady area than what was originally planned and everything still looked beautiful.  We had a 10 minute ceremony planned so stuck with outside...But we had a plan B to have the ceremony indoors if needed. 

The cocktail hour was outside but on a shaded veranda and had mist fans (with an option to go indoors if they wanted) and the reception itself was indoors.  It worked out.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm in Upstate NY, and July/August are generally the hottest months. Now I don't mind heat (mid 80s is perfect in my opinion), but I know lots of people find that way too hot, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it got up there.
  • Options
    I would suggest an indoor wedding in July. I personally don't consider 79/80 to be cool by any means, and would definitely not want to spend an entire wedding sweating through my dress. The heat also makes me tired and takes my appetite away. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. In the summer, AC is the way to go.
  • Options
    I would suggest an indoor wedding in July. I personally don't consider 79/80 to be cool by any means, and would definitely not want to spend an entire wedding sweating through my dress. The heat also makes me tired and takes my appetite away. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. In the summer, AC is the way to go.

That's what I was thinking -- for the comfort of my guests. I personally think it's cold (not just cool, but actually cold) if it's under 65, and I don't think it's hot until it reaches above 90, but I know that's not the norm. In my perfect fantasy world, it would always be between 80 and 85 every day, year round.

• Options
    I think that option is great. It's great that you are thinking of your guests comfort, but you may be thankful for A/C too. If you have a big ball gown dress, and one with satin, it's going to get warm in that dress. And think of your groom (and the other guys in the wedding party) if you are having them wear suits or tuxes. You'll all be glad to have A/C because almost every where in July, you risk a very hot day.
  • Options

I had a great friend who had their wedding outdoors in the middle of July...  No one planned it was going to be 120 in the shade and HUMID in the middle of WI.  It was on the family's dairy farm so all the fans they'd planned to use for air movement needed to be used to keep the livestock comfortable/alive in those stressing temps (animals come first on a farm!)...  There were no bags of ice to be found anywhere in the area, and as such, all of the drinks were entirely warm.  Then there were the bugs!!!  And then there's the bathroom situation (Just as much as guests love AC, they love indoor plumbing!)...  After going through that experience and as much as I love my friend, I'd NEVER will an outdoor wedding on anyone.  Plus, you never know when it's going to rain. 

All too often we hear brides coming on here the week before their wedding and they didn't make a contingency plan.  If you choose to have an outdoor wedding, make sure you've got a backup indoor plan.  The option you've mentioned sounds great, just be sure to do your due diligence!

• Options
    Wedding in July? Indoor reception. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    Another thing to think about is bugs that are, obviously, outside.  I was at an outdoor wedding once and a beetle of some kind went down the front of my dress.  It was biting me and I tried to get it out without flashing anyone or making it look like I was touching myself or something.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards