Chit Chat

Here's to Adulting!

After graduating college 6 years ago, I finally submitted an application for a Master's program that will get me out of an industry I despise working in!!! I'm excited but nervous because there's still the chance my application will get rejected. Either way, let's hope the next 3.5-4 years go by quickly and I can last long enough at this job to get me through to the one I actually want! 

Anyone else recently go back to school while working full-time and/or make a major career change?

Re: Here's to Adulting!

• I just started my Masters 2 weeks ago, though I have 2 Open Studies classes that I can transfer in.  I was worried about getting in too, but apparently, at least here, they're pretty short on Grad students, and we're pretty good money for them.  I think if you've got the GPA needed, and someone willing to be an advisor, you'll get in. 

I'm still working, but currently in 2 courses (shoot me) since it's summer vacation so I can get work done.  I'll take 1 class each of fall and winter semesters while I teach as well.  If I can find the right classes and get a little lucky, I'll be done my classes at the end of next summer, Christmas at the latest.  Then just my final project left to complete.  What are you taking??

• I'm in a similar situation. My bachelors isn't really working out so I am going for my MBA. I've taken two classes so far and am having a lot of fun. I'm hoping that moving into the business world will give me more options in the area we're living. I don't have any transferrable credits so I'm starting from scratch while working full time. I'm also hoping the next five years or so fly by!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I got my MBA last year (graduated last June). It was a 2-year program and I was working full time the entire time, and also planning a wedding and house hunting towards the end. It was definitely stressful, but I was extremely glad I did it. 

And it was actually really fun going back to school. I met some amazing people and obviously learned a lot, and it was great to feel like I was achieving something big. 

Best of luck! 
  • I majored in Advertising in college and took a job in the marketing dept of a general contractor in my home town. Loved my job and was making decent $$ but I wanted to go to school. For 2 years, I did a full-time program while working full time at the general contractor. It was tough, but I am happy I did it that way.

My MS is in Higher Education, which doesn't traditionally pay a ton. My classmates had tons of debt and I managed to keep my loans very low and pay them off in 3 years because I worked. It was super tough at the time, but I never regreted my decision.
  • I was working full time in Political PR for the town's mayor and had a hard time breaking into marketing and PR.  I went back to school for MA in Elementary Edu full time while working full time.  It wasn't easy, but I did it.  The downfall was that I did have to take out loans to help offset the cost.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just started an MBA program. I'm working and going part time in the evenings, but I've been able to cut back on some work things to give myself more flexibility. 

So far, I'm really enjoying being back in school. At my age, it's been quite the transition, but I'm really enjoying the work and the people. But 100 group projects when everyone works full time = nightmare. 
  • I just graduated with my MA, but I couldn't work full time during it. I worked part time because my degree required me to have a full time internship for at least the last year on top of 12 hours of coursework a semester. I basically worked for 20 hours, "interned" for 40 hours and then went to class for 16 hours every week. 

I loved my program though. Now that I'm working in the field I'm really greatful for everything it taught me. 
  • Not recently but I quit my full-time job at 30 and went into a full-time MBA program. I spent 9 months studying/applying/visiting schools and got into a fabulous program. I graduated 4 years ago.

Best decision of my life.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm doing an online program because my work schedule is so sporadic. Being a salaried manager, I have to be able to drop everything and come in, or stay as late as needed. You don't always have notice of when those things will come up. An online course will be difficult and require a lot of discipline but it's the only way to do it for now. I'm starting a program in Marriage and Family Therapy, which has been a passion of mine since I was little. I wasn't able to go to grad school after graduating undergrad because of family issues and I kept toying with going back but never did. Now I'm more determined and want to get out of food service sooooooooooooooo bad. 

I'm glad so many other people have been successful with their changes. It's very encouraging!
  • I have an UG in Finance and was working in healthcare finance for about 5 years before I went back and took all my pre-med science classes (part time) while working fulltime/volunteering/shadowing/all the other stuff needed for med school apps.  Currently #2 on a waitlist for my top school.  I also studied for my GMAT and got into a great fulltime MBA program as a backup for med school.  Having a really hard time deciding between the two - I ended up really like the MBA program and possibilities and the 2 year vs. 4 year is really tempting. 
  • I've resigned as a police officer (last day of work August 25), and we're moving back to my home province to be close to my family.

I've already been hired at a bank.  I can't believe how amazing it feels to know that in less than two months, I won't have to work nights, won't get called out at 4am, won't have to wear a gun to work, won't have to wear 25+lbs of extra gear every day, won't have to deal with drunks, won't have to put up with people swearing/spitting at me, won't have to worry about people trying to fight me...

Sorry, got carried away.  A little excited. 

And after all that, in three years the plan is to move to Vancouver so that my husband can get HIS Masters :)

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards