Connecticut

Catholic Wedding at Pequot Chapel?

Hi! We are looking into getting married at the Pequot Chapel in 2016. Hoping to find a catholic priest to marry us there. Are you familiar with the Pequot Chapel? Have you attended a catholic wedding there? Have you gotten married by a catholic priest there? Thank  you for ANY information at all!

Re: Catholic Wedding at Pequot Chapel?

• You're going to need to talk to the Diocese of Norwich to see if it is OK for a priest to perform a ceremony there.   I'd start by calling them first to see what is possible.

The reason being is that a Catholic wedding must take place in a house of worship.   And while this is a house of worship, it looks like it's Christian and not necessarily Catholic.   I'm guessing this situation has come up before so they should be able to tell you what is and is not OK. 
  •  Thanks. The Pequot Chapel itself requires only that you bring a minister - they only let you rent the chapel itself and use their organist. Just wondering if any other CT brides have had their wedding there or have attended a wedding there. 
  •  Thanks. The Pequot Chapel itself requires only that you bring a minister - they only let you rent the chapel itself and use their organist. Just wondering if any other CT brides have had their wedding there or have attended a wedding there. 
    Right.   This isn't about Pequot Chapel though.   And if you're a practicing Catholic and want your marriage to be recognized in the Catholic Church, you need to clear that with the diocese to see that they would be OK with a wedding that took place there since it looks like it's not a Catholic house of worship.

That's why I'd call the diocese to see what they know.  If they do not acknowledge the Pequot Chapel as a house of worship and will not grant dispensation to marry there then no Catholic priest can marry you in it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards