Chit Chat
Options

Ashley Madison Hack - What are your feelings on this?

So on the way into work today, there was a discussion on how hackers are threatening to release information from Ashley Madison. I wasn't sure what the site was about until they explained, but it is a dating website for married people. And with the hackers' threats to release names, I would guess there are some nervous people out there

What are your feelings on this? Personally, I think its a bit funny and karma coming back to the people who use the site.

Re: Ashley Madison Hack - What are your feelings on this?

• Options
    On one hand no one should have their private information stolen.  That is wrong.

But on the other hand, the people who join this site, IMO, are scared asswipes too afraid to be honest with their spouse and instead would rather just cheat on them.  So yeah, I don't feel too badly that their information was hacked.
    Pretty much this.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I feel bad for the spouses of the stand up people on that site if names etc were released. As for the actual people on the site, I wish it was harder for me to believe that a site like this existed and there was a market for it, but sadly it's not.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I feel bad for the spouses of the stand up people on that site if names etc were released. As for the actual people on the site, I wish it was harder for me to believe that a site like this existed and there was a market for it, but sadly it's not.

This.
  • Options
    I'm torn between hahahahahahahahaha and deep unease at the ability to ruin lives over online conduct that may never have even translated into reality.
  • Options
    The worst part is, I mean besides the lying and cheating, Ashley Madison told people they (AM)deleted their (the clients) information when the client deleted their account and then did not do that. That is an asshole move.
  • Options
    I'm torn between hahahahahahahahaha and deep unease at the ability to ruin lives over online conduct that may never have even translated into reality.
    Pretty sure if I found out that my H had signed up for this website and conversed with people on it, and even if no physical contact ever happened, there would be some serious issues.  Just the fact that he even considered cheating would be a major problem for me.

• Options
    The worst part is, I mean besides the lying and cheating, Ashley Madison told people they (AM)deleted their (the clients) information when the client deleted their account and then did not do that. That is an asshole move.
    There was an 'extra' per month fee if you wanted this done. It wasn't standard on every account. The shitty thing from the website was that they didn't actually remove the content when the client requested it.
  • Options
    I think it's hilarious. Cosmic justice? 
  • Options

I feel similarly to Maggie.  H & I were discussing this last night and while we thought it was funny overall, the fact that those people may also have their financial info put out there for the world was not right.

The other thing to think about was even though the hackers have all this information, it doesn't mean that the potentially non-AM spouse will go looking for the information if it gets posted.   

• Options

Pretty sure if I found out that my H had signed up for this website and conversed with people on it, and even if no physical contact ever happened, there would be some serious issues.  Just the fact that he even considered cheating would be a major problem for me.

Yeah I totally get that. I tend to think though that considering something, and signing up, and not doing anything, and returning to your marriage is hard, but you did the right thing in the end. And I'd rather never find out about it myself.
  • Options
    I also feel bad for the spouses in the credit implication - so now not only are their spouses cheating (or thinking about cheating), but now it's potentially public AND there could be other financial implications?

Yeah, I'd clear out our wine rack after that. 
  • Options
    Yeah I totally get that. I tend to think though that considering something, and signing up, and not doing anything, and returning to your marriage is hard, but you did the right thing in the end. And I'd rather never find out about it myself.
    Yeah but that means that there is something wrong with your relationship and it needs to be talked about and hopefully fixed.  There is always a reason why someone cheats or thinks about cheating.  It is better to get to the bottom of the problem rather then pretend it never existed or be completely blind to it.

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I also feel bad for the spouses in the credit implication - so now not only are their spouses cheating (or thinking about cheating), but now it's potentially public AND there could be other financial implications?

Yeah, I'd clear out our wine rack after that. 
    I agree with this completely. I feel terrible for the spouses and I think this is kind of the wrong thing to do with a hackers time. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    As much as I believe that nobody deserves to have personal information stolen from them....

• Options
    melbenso said:
    Waiting to see how many politicians accounts are discovered because of the hack.... hehehehehehe.
    And stars of family shows
  • Options
    I don't feel bad for the people who are members at all. I do feel bad for their spouses though.

• Options
    While I am totally against any service the facilitates cheating, I honestly don't think the hackers truly had great intentions. Doxxing anyone, for any reason, is wrong. Plus, they already admitted that they are doing it because AM does not actually erase all info (like credit card info) even if members pay the $20 fee...it sounds to me like someone got burned and now just wants revenge.
  • Options
    falsarafalsara member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I feel bad that people have private information that they have no right to. 

I don't feel bad for those people that were using the site for cheating.

I do know couples who have open relationships, who use AM for finding partners,  I feel really bad for those people.  

ETA: Marriage does not automatically equal monogamy. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Yeah, I don't feel bad for people who are there to cheat.  Karma's a bitch.  But for their spouses, or people in open relationships, that's not cool.  

Though I don't think anything will come of it.  How do you decide which infer to release?  Where do you put it.  It's too big I think, unless they're looking to target specific people.  I think it was more against the website rather than against people cheating

• Options

OMG.

DEAD.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards