Favors

Inexpensive favors

Hi! I have 63 days left until my big day, and Im trying to think of favors that won't cost a lot of money. We are planning on 125-150 people at the reception. We are having an Irish/Celtic theme, and I was thinking about baking Irish soda bread and and wrapping a piece or two for each person, but that would take a lot of baking and it doesn't seem like a very good favor idea… Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Inexpensive favors

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    If cost is a factor, just don't have them.  Favors are not required and people won't miss them.

If you are absolutely set on them, buy some bulk wrapped chocolates - not everything has to fit a theme.  You can put them in box or bag decorated with your theme if you absolutely want it to tie in thematically.
  • Candy is the way to go.  We are in the same position except slightly closer to the wedding.

We are doing little gold boxes and putting mini packs of gummy bears inside.  Weirdly enough, gummy bears played a role in us getting together, so it's a little nod to something meaningful.  But even if not specifically meaningful, everybody loves candy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• We did jelly beans in little organza bags. They're my H's favorite candy, and it was easy to get colors that went with the decor so the bags looked nice at each place setting.

• The least expensive favor is to not do one. They are totally optional.

Anything edible tends to go over like gangbusters here. Cookies, candies, chocolates, all fair game!

• edited June 2015
  • Candy bar all the way. Over all we've probably only spent $120 on the whole thing.
    Look at Walmart and Party City for Candy...Dollar Tree for favor boxes or bags, and containers! :)
  • I had a friend who made (or maybe bought, I really don't know) cake pops as favors.  She also had little "to-go" bags at her candy bar 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm ordering honey sticks, and tying 2 together with ribbon and attaching little card/paper with name and table number on it as well. There are flavored honey sticks that come in different colors. See if you have a local honey maker in the area or get them online. I'm getting mine somewhat local (to CA) at http://www.marshallshoney.com/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Godiva sells truffles in bulk on their website for $150.  You get 300 pieces and they're a decent size.  I'm going to purchase these, and some inexpensive favor boxes, and put two candies in each box.    The total cost of each favor is about $1.25 for each person.  
  • Sliced bread is just going to go stale. Plus, I'd worry about food safety.

I love candy bars but lots of my friends have done them recently so we wanted different. We did small bags of regional candy. We're in Chicago so we did Fannie Mae chocolate bars, Red Hots, Lemon Heads, Tootsie Rolls, and Wrigley gum (something else too but I can't remember what). We made 150 bags for about $250. It took about 2 hours to bag everything with the help of my sister and mom.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • pennydlpennydl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Godiva sells truffles in bulk on their website for $150.  You get 300 pieces and they're a decent size.  I'm going to purchase these, and some inexpensive favor boxes, and put two candies in each box.    The total cost of each favor is about $1.25 for each person.  

I love this idea! 

• We are making tile coasters (2 per person) and putting pictures of flowers on them from around the garden where my fiance proposed. They are turning out to be way cheaper than I expected, although they do take the time of making them. I got the tiles for 12 cents a piece, the photos I got for free for signing up for Shutterfly and Snapfish for the first time, and then you just have the cost of the resin ($35 for 38 oz I think, but I used a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby). So really, like 50 cents per person. The instructions are below.

• We are making tile coasters (2 per person) and putting pictures of flowers on them from around the garden where my fiance proposed. They are turning out to be way cheaper than I expected, although they do take the time of making them. I got the tiles for 12 cents a piece, the photos I got for free for signing up for Shutterfly and Snapfish for the first time, and then you just have the cost of the resin ($35 for 38 oz I think, but I used a 40% coupon at Hobby Lobby). So really, like 50 cents per person. The instructions are below.

The problem with coasters is that 2 doesn't do anyone any good. If I get coasters, I need a set of at least 4, and preferably 6 or 8. I don't want a couple of random coasters any more than I want a random wine glass. And are these tiles absorbent? Because if not, it defeats the purpose of the coaster.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Not absorbent, they are actually standard bathroom tiles, tested tried and true :) I was just never a fan of candy, and neither my fiance nor I eat sweets, so it wouldn't really make sense for us to do that. 2 coaster does you plenty good! If you have a significant other, they will also get 2, which will give you a set of 4, and if you're single, you have 2 unique coasters to bring out when you have a guest.
  • Not absorbent, they are actually standard bathroom tiles, tested tried and true :) I was just never a fan of candy, and neither my fiance nor I eat sweets, so it wouldn't really make sense for us to do that. 2 coaster does you plenty good! If you have a significant other, they will also get 2, which will give you a set of 4, and if you're single, you have 2 unique coasters to bring out when you have a guest.
    What good does a non absorbent coaster do for anyone? 
  • My thoughts exactly, @justsie.  And there are other options besides candy or sweets. Additionally, the fact that you and your fiance don't eat sweets doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for you to give your guests sweets. That's strange reasoning.

Your coasters sound pretty, and I looked at the tutorial, and they look nice on there. But if they aren't absorbent, they aren't much use other than for decoration. I think you are putting a lot of time into a pretty tchotchke that will likely end up left behind or thrown away. Since I don't want random coasters that don't match, I would gladly pick up those that got left behind so I could have an actual set of them. But I would only do that if they actually worked as coasters. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards