Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Child added to RSVP

Received the first RSVP with a child's name added to the response today.The only children we are allowing are members of the wedding party (and a sibling to a wedding party member). This child is a toddler. I'm a little worried because this is a child of a wedding party member.  My daughter said her fiance will take care of it. What kind of reaction have y'all had when you've told WP they can't bring their kids? Ugh I was really hoping we wouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing.

Re: Child added to RSVP

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    From what I've seen, reactions are mixed. Sometimes WP members respect the adults-only aspect of the wedding; others don't and sometimes passive-aggressively try to force their children into the wedding by adding them to RSVPs or otherwise threatening not to participate in the wedding unless their children are invited.

Either way, you can either allow them to bring their children, or can reiterate, "I'm sorry, but it isn't possible for us to accommodate your children at the wedding. That means that there won't be seating, food, or drinks for them if you bring them." Or if your venue won't allow kids, you can say, "Our venue does not allow kids and requires that they be turned away at the door. We will have no choice but to turn away you and your kids if you bring them." And if they get pushy, you can add, "This is not open to negotiation, so please consider it a closed subject."
  • Options
    Received the first RSVP with a child's name added to the response today.The only children we are allowing are members of the wedding party (and a sibling to a wedding party member). This child is a toddler. I'm a little worried because this is a child of a wedding party member.  My daughter said her fiance will take care of it. What kind of reaction have y'all had when you've told WP they can't bring their kids? Ugh I was really hoping we wouldn't have to deal with this kind of thing.

Is this kid your daughter's child?  So your grandchild?

• Options
    I'm a little confused about who is who here....  

Also, are children of the wedding party invited or not?

Anyway, the canned line can be "I'm sorry for any confusion, but the invitation was only for you and your husband, we can't accommodate little Suzie."
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Is this kid your daughter's child?  So your grandchild?
    I'm going to guess that the daughter is the bride, so, the groom will be taking care of it.  Therefore my guess is that OP is the MOB and receiving the RSVPs as host.  Is my guess right?
  • Options
    Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm the MOB receiving responses. The child is the child of a WP member not a grandchild. The only children invited are the flower girl and ring bearer (and the flower girl's brother so as not to split families). My daughter is the bride. The WP member is a friend of FI.
  • Options
    Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm the MOB receiving responses. The child is the child of a WP member not a grandchild. The only children invited are the flower girl and ring bearer (and the flower girl's brother so as not to split families). My daughter is the bride. The WP member is a friend of FI.
    Yep.  The groom calls up his buddy and says, "Yo, I just heard you RSVP'd for your kid.  Sorry, but the invitation was only for you and your wife, we will not be able to accommodate the kid.  Hope you both can still make it."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards