Jewish Weddings

Ideas for how to involve family-friend-type people in the ceremony?

My fiancee and I are young, not especially high-income, and ethically nonmonogamous, and we're brainstorming ways to involve her boyfriend in our small ceremony. I'm thinking our ideal guest list would be, at its biggest, eleven people plus us and the rabbi (including FI's BF), out of whom five would largely be invited because they're our close friends' SOs and it'd be weird not to invite them, one has an unfortunate habit of trying to bring up Israel to FI as if she's responsible for whatever they've done now (FI's ethnically Jewish, I'm converting), and one more is deeply uncomfortable participating in any sort of religious ceremony. 

The obvious solution is to have FI's BF be one of the chuppah holders, but I'm not sure we'll have three other people who'll be up for filling out that group. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Re: Ideas for how to involve family-friend-type people in the ceremony?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Your FI has a boyfriend?  I assume this is a male friend but not closer than that. 

There aren't really any other "honor" roles at Jewish weddings besides regular wedding party members or chuppah holders.  I suppose if you're doing any readings, your FI's BF could do that.

Tell the SO who keeps bringing up Israel that your wedding is not the time or place for political discussions.

• There are tons of roles that her BF could play. The chuppah holder is one.  You also can have up to 7 people do the 7 blessings. If he can't read hebrew, have the rabbi do them in hebrew then the BF do them in english. If you are only having 11 people, have each of them read a blessing, if they are comfortable. 

I went to an interfaith wedding where they did 7 blessings but not THE seven blessings, they found 7 different people or groups to bless them. It was really nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards