Not Engaged Yet
Options

WR: Transporation between ceremony and reception

Quick WR question for everyone. I have only been to 1 wedding where the ceremony and reception were at different venues, so I need some input from others on what is normal/acceptable. We are possibly having our ceremony at a church in Boston and reception at a hotel also in Boston. Do we need to provide transportation from church to hotel? It's about 5 miles between the 2 locations, but parking is limited at both (being in the city) and we also have a lot of OOT guests who may not have a car. There is of course public transport and Uber/taxi, but I'm just not sure what is proper etiquette. Any input is appreciated!

Re: WR: Transporation between ceremony and reception

• Options
    It's my understanding that it is not required but is definitely a nice gesture for your guests. I had always wanted to do it for my wedding and then we decided to definitely do it since it ended up being OOT for everyone and there was 20 mins between the hotel we blocked rooms at and the venue. 
    Some hotels have courtesy shuttles you can use. Have you checked into that?

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I've never actually been to a wedding where the ceremony and reception were at separate locations. I think considering the time of year, it would definitely be a nice gesture. Your hotel may provide some sort of guest transport too since it's so close? Or something might be available? I'd inquire with them and see what options you have. Especially since parking will be limited and there will be a lot of OOT people.

• Options
    I've been to a few weddings where the ceremony and reception were at different locations, and none provided a shuttle. If the reception isn't very far and there's ample parking at the reception, then I think you could get away with not having a shuttle. If parking is limited at the reception or you book a reception venue that is more than a few miles from the ceremony venue, then it would be a really nice gesture to offer a shuttle. I went to a wedding once where the reception was a good 30 minutes away from the ceremony, and I was REALLY annoyed I had to drive that far. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've been to a few weddings where the ceremony and reception were not in the same space and was never provided transportation.  One was over an hour away, which was way too far in my opinion.  I think in a major city like Boston with the ceremony and reception so close, most guests can get taxis if they do not want to drive.  
  • Options
    Like PPs said, it's a nice gesture but not required. I've never been to a wedding where any sort of transportation was provided for the guests but those were all in small towns and didn't have a lot of OOT guests. I think it'd be nice to look into if the hotel offers a free shuttle service since walking isn't an option and parking is limited.

• Options
    We didn't do a shuttle to and from the church. We did do a shuttles service before and after the reception with 2 shuttles running from an hour before cocktail hour until the end of cocktail and at the end 2 shuttles running running from 10-midnight when our reception ended at 11. 

Anniversary

• Options
    Nice gesture, but not required.  Every wedding that I have been to that the ceremony and reception were separate I had to provide my own transportation.

Since you know most your guests will not have transportation, it may be a nice gesture to provide a shuttle, but only if you have room in your budget. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, this is helpful! I will definitely look in to a free shuttle provided by hotel.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We thought about shuttles between the hotels with blocks and the venue (like I mentioned the other day, it did really suck that we didn't have on-site accommodations), but what made it prohibitively expensive was that we'd need to hire the shuttle for the entire time the wedding was going on. Hiring a shuttle for just the church to the reception will not be nearly as much of a problem, so it's probably worth looking into, especially if your hotel has shuttle service.

But if it is expensive, you can always just provide driving/MBTA directions, information about Uber, and a few local cab company numbers.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    So, our venue is about 15 minutes or so from the hotel, but its down a bunch of back country roads. Since we're hosting a full bar, and it will be dark when folks leave, we wanted to host a shuttle for guests. I found a great package with a local limo company that covers all our needs.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options
    Chiming in late, but I think it's worth the expense only if it would annoy you that people may arrive late or need extra help getting a taxi since sometimes you really can't find one in boston without calling and waiting a few minutes. All in all, it's not required but it's nice peace of mind to be able to have shuttles for guests. My hotel sucked and would only run one shuttle 2 hours before the ceremony so none of our guests used it, except for my wedding party and parents/immediate family. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards