Chit Chat

NWR: Just Need to Vent

So, let me start off by saying I love my apartment.  It's spacious and perfectly priced for the area we live in.  We have more room than most of our friends for less money.  I am going to say that it is an apartment in a two family house that we rent.

Now my frustration, our landlord is very laid back and very nonchalant about a lot of things.  It can take her weeks to get things done that need to be taken care of by professionals and her idea of a professional is her jack of trades handyman who, when replacing our light switch in the kitchen, disabled the ceiling fan so it doesn't work at all.  This was during the winter and needless to say, she still hasn't gotten him back to fix it.

We need an exterminator to come into our apartment, as gross as it sounds, it appears DH picked up bed bugs on his last business trip (he read reviews on the hotel when we realized what was going on and they had a bed bug issue in April and he was there in June).  Its the only thing we can figure as to how we got them because our landlord doesn't.  Well, I know as a tenant, the landlord is supposed to cover that expense (my parents were landlords and they covered that expense every time a tenant needed it, amongst other things).  She wants to go half on it, fine whatever, I'm not going to argue because its a situation that needs to get taken care of ASAP.

Last night, while taking out the garbage, our neighbor called my husband over and walked him into their driveway, towards their backyard and showed him that either our or our landlords shower in leaking.  It is leaking where our shower head would be, but I know with leaky pipes, water is going to go wherever the hole is, even if its 20ft. away.  The neighbor wants to show our landlord what she sees, sometimes its just a trickle and others its like a waterfall.  I know a plumber needs to come in and look because now I'm worried about mold and exactly where the leak is because what if the bathrooms need to be torn apart and redone just to fix. Not exactly something I'm looking forward to, but if I know her, she will try to get her handyman jack of all trades guy in here.

Her heater was leaking during the winter and it was coming through our ceiling and it took her two weeks to get her handyman in and fix it.

We have a dead outlet that we need an electrician to come in and fix and make sure everything is ok because before we moved in (last February) there was a leak from under the windows that couldn't get fixed until the snow had melted and everything dried, again, need an electrician, not her handyman.  We rearranged the living room to make it flow better once baby gets here so the outlet is needed to plug the computer in.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just frustrated.  I vented to my parents about it earlier because they came over to help me with the laundry since we have to wash all the clothes before the exterminator gets here on Friday.  My dad suggested we look when the time closer to lease is up.  But moving with a newborn is going to interesting, trying to find a space like this for this price is going to fun.

But I must agree with my parents, our landlord is horrible at keeping up the house.  The rails on the stairs are so wobbly.  My sister had foot surgery and she stopped coming to visit because she needs the railings for support to walk up and down stairs and she almost fell the last time she was here.  The stairs are starting to fall apart.  UGH!

Again, sorry for the long post and rant!  I needed to get it out, especially since I want to talk to DH about it tonight.  But with his job still up in the air, I don't know what the future holds.
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: Just Need to Vent

• It sucks that your landlord is so crappy. It really sounds like you should move. Especially because you want to be in a good place when you have a baby. Do you want to live in a house with leaky pipes and possibly dangerous outlets? Maybe mold? Maybe applicances that don't work because your landlord doesn't fix anything. How long can you go without washer/dryer with a baby?

I know moving with a newborn will suck. You won't be able to lift stuff for awhile and you'd rather be settled. But it sounds like it would be less painful in the long run. A couple weeks of problems instead of another year.
  • In terms of the bed bugs, I can only go by what I know as far as from seeing my parents and family members owning a building (it was family owned until they decided to sell it).  Anytime one of the tenants needed an exterminator for specialized things, (one of the tenants actually did have bed bugs, which luckily didn't spread to any other apartment because like us, they caught it fairly early), my family, as landlords, always paid for the exterminator.  

We think that's how we got them, we really don't know.  Someone could have brought them in because they can latch to clothes.  DH is also an Indy Wrestler in his free time on the weekends and I said to him that his gym bag could have brought them in if it came into contact with another guys gym bag if they were in there.

We had issues before we moved in, and DH talked to her about everything and she put our fears to rest, but now I think I'm just over it.
    Anniversary

• anjemon said:
    It sucks that your landlord is so crappy. It really sounds like you should move. Especially because you want to be in a good place when you have a baby. Do you want to live in a house with leaky pipes and possibly dangerous outlets? Maybe mold? Maybe applicances that don't work because your landlord doesn't fix anything. How long can you go without washer/dryer with a baby?

I know moving with a newborn will suck. You won't be able to lift stuff for awhile and you'd rather be settled. But it sounds like it would be less painful in the long run. A couple weeks of problems instead of another year.
    I wish we had a washer/dryer.  She has one in the basement for herself.  She mentioned to DH one day that she was going to look into putting in a separate line for us to have a washer/dryer, but would need to figure it out in terms of the water bill and such.  She said it would be easier with a baby instead of going to my parents, his parents, or the laundry mat.  After that, she never mentioned it again.
    Anniversary

• Look into your state tenant rights, and put all your repairs in writing. Also, since you are having a baby, do you know if the house has been tested for lead paint (if it's older than 1978ish).

• The extermination responsibility depends on the terms of your lease. 

Still, I would move. More space isn't a great deal when you have to deal with broken things, leeks, etc. I wouldn't want to have a baby in an apartment where I never know what's going to break next. Since she's not fixing everything, you may have grounds to break your lease and move early, before the baby is born. Either way, I'd much rather move with an infant than a toddler. 
  • Thanks everyone.

The lease doesn't say anything regarding extermination, but I think I'm over that vent.  It is what it is and it needs to get done so I'll pay half if I have too.  At this point I would pay for the whole thing if I had to get it done.

I did talk to DH last night, and I felt bad because we are going through so much more than just household repairs (it looks like he is getting laid off on July 31st if he can't sign 2 new AV clients).  But I did mention that when its closer to our lease being up, maybe we should explore our options in terms of a new apartment and he was open to it.
    Anniversary

• I'm so sorry to hear about his layoff. I hope he can land new clients or that he can have another opportunity arise pretty quickly. I know that must be so stressful with the baby on the way, so try to keep your head and hopes up.

I would definitely look for a new place. Smaller is worth it to know that things will not be broken and will be addressed right away.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards