Nevada-Las Vegas

Poll: How Many Drinks

edited July 2015 in Nevada-Las Vegas
How many alcoholic drinks would you likely drink at a restaurant style, dinner reception?

*Trying to decide open bar or host bar (i.e. We pick up the bar tab). We have a significant mix of drinkers and nondrinkers. I don't want to waste money paying for the nondrinkers. But I also don't want the drinkers to consume so much that I should have paid for the open bar. It's at 8:30, in case that matters.

Re: Poll: How Many Drinks

• I think about 3.
  • Outside of my personal preference (2-3), I've waited tables for a pretty long time. I'd guess most people will go around 2 drinks if they are moderate drinkers (one before the meal, one with the meal).  If they are heavier drinkers, guesstimate 3-4 (one before, one-two with, one after).  I've never worked a "meal" type event where people drank more than four drinks over a 2-2.5 hour meal.

On the other hand, if it's more of a hang around event - I'd plan a drink per 45 mins per drinker. Some will drink closer to one every 30 mins, some more like 1 an hour, so 1 per 45 mins is a good average guess.

• Omg! That was so helpful! So far it looks like 3 is an avg number.
  • I would say 3-4. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd do open bar; not worth the risk lol.  People get crazy in Vegas.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• xoedenxoeden member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'm with @vegasgroom. I normally don't drink that much, but when in Vegas, everything goes out the window.
  • Another thing to consider is that if you are paying per drink, you run the following risks:

I order a drink I've never had before, just to try it out. I don't like it. I order another drink. You've just paid for two drinks instead of one.

I set my drink down, mingle/dance, and forget where I set it. I order another one. You've just paid for two drinks instead of one.

My 21-year old cousin doesn't have a lot of experience with alcohol. We decide it will be fun to order several shots so he can try a bunch of stuff. He drinks two and says, "Screw this. I hate alcohol." You've just paid for seven shots instead of two.

Also, I'd really rather know exactly how much I'm paying for the bar tab instead of stressing about it all night. Every time someone ordered a drink, I'd think, "Ka-ching!" and then worry about them losing track of it, not liking it, etc. ;) It's so much easier to go with an open bar.
  • Another thing to consider is what people drink. Most of my friends / family will drink wine with a meal, which is a lot more expensive in Vegas than we're used to in Europe! So that made us choose an open bar, it will work out much cheaper than people ordering wine by the glass / bottle.
  • Ah man 3-4 drinks each my family are more like 3-4 bottles each. Plus I think when people know things are free they tend to go a little over the top, also weddings are generally somewhere where even the most conservative person goes a little wild. I think we are going to be doing unlimited drinks packages so there aren't any nasty surprises at the end of the night (nothing worse then a budget nightmare on your special day). Plus we need to meet the minimum for our room so we might as well include this if we have the spare budget which we do. Most of the guys in my group drink beer as well so they can easily sink 3 in half an hour. 
  • Agree with many of the above comments. We set up a $500 bar tab and felt comfortable with that, based on the amount of drinkers vs. non-drinkers, even though the "fancy" cocktails at Bahama Breeze are pretty pricey. I would say 3/4 of the non-drinkers ended up trying something, though...including my 75-year old mom, who had some concoction in a pineapple when I looked over! Eh, added another $150 (the servers were great about letting us know how close we were to the $500), and that covered the night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards