Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Having to pay my photographers two hotel nights. (Closed discussion)

Re: Having to pay my photographers two hotel nights. (Closed discussion)

• I got married 7 years ago and spent $4k on photographer.  He was local though.

However, my officiant was OOT.  We had to pay for his accommodation in addition to his $650 fee.   We got married in a resort town and the hotel was almost $300 per night.   He only stayed one night (the night before).

Think if it this way, if you had to work OOT, wouldn't you expect your employer to pick up the travel costs?      This is the same.   His rates are set for local weddings, OOT wedding incur more costs.    You should cover those costs. If you think it's too high find another photographer.

I think 1 or 2 nights is reasonable depending on your time frame.   If you have an early start the night before seems reasonable.   If you have a late night, that seems reasonable also.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Our photographers only live 4 hours away. Obviously, that is a long drive, but we are paying $2,750 so I figured they could pay for at least one night on their own. They don't charge gas mileage, but being married my first time in 2015 where wedding photography is way different than 10 years ago I was surprised about this. 

I chose them because they costed under $3000 but now it's costing us roughly that much because of accommodation. Can any brides tell me how much they paid/are paying for their photographer and how many nights of accommodation they had to pay if they did? Is this reasonable? I just want to know because it was a huge point of stress and I might find comfort in knowing I'm not the only one. 

Thanks!

I don't know if you're going to get a lot of commiseration for this.  You're paying $2750 for your photographers - that's their fee.  You're not paying mileage, which means that gas money is coming out of their own pocket, which means they're taking home less of your fee than if your wedding was local. 

It's a four hour drive, which is a sizeable distance.  I don't know when you're starting pictures, but by paying their hotel the night before you're guaranteeing that a vendor will be there when they're supposed to be there - not caught up in traffic on the way there that morning.  Honestly, I'd see it as a peace of mind charge.

Our photographer was local, so we didn't have to worry about that - however, our officiants weren't.  One was four hours away, so we paid for both the night before and the night of the wedding.  However, one was TEN hours away.  I was in no way expecting them to drive the entire day and some how make it on time for our rehearsal, so they came up on the Thursday, instead.  We paid for all three nights of their accommodations, because we needed to have them there, and wanted them to be comfortable and well-rested.

My cousin is a photographer and has done destination weddings before.  Her flights and accommodations are additional costs in the package.  She would not be travelling to that place at that time if it weren't for the wedding - it's for work.  Why should she be expected to pay for part of the costs of getting there?  If my employer sent me on a business trip but said that they'd only pay for part of the necessary accommodations, I would decline the trip.   It would mean that my regular paycheque (that I use for my everyday life expenses) is being put towards something that is not in my budget.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • edited July 2015
    I was just wondering! I didn't know it was a common knowledge thing as I am new to this. I just wish they posted it on their website. Cuz some photographers only ask for one night. Some actually say they don't charge and those photographers were also the same distance away. I was just confused and wish this was something I was warned of or to look out for. I feel like it should be posted on the website or something. Thank you all for the input. - V
  • If you don't like the fact that you have to pay for two nights, then keep looking for a photog that meets your needs. If you already signed the contract and the hotel wasn't mentioned in it, than that another discussion.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I was talking about the latter. It wasn't mentioned until the last minute. 
  • If it is not in the contract then I would refuse to pay for the room.

• Guys, this is a closed discussion. You can't comment anymore.
  • edited July 2015

I was just wondering! I didn't know it was a common knowledge thing as I am new to this. I just wish they posted it on their website. Cuz some photographers only ask for one night. Some actually say they don't charge and those photographers were also the same distance away. I was just confused and wish this was something I was warned of or to look out for. I feel like it should be posted on the website or something. Thank you all for the input. - V

I was talking about the latter. It wasn't mentioned until the last minute. 

Jic

You seem so reasonable...this is guaranteed to end well... :unamused:

• hahaha, I saw this was closed and thought, what the hay?  Oh, you trickster, OP.
  • Posting just because I can.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards