Options

Tipping!

What do I tip:
The photog (owns her own business)
Hair and makeup artist (owns salon)
Dj (owns business)
Florist (owns business)
His driver (2.5 hrs of service)
Do I tip the hotel coordinator other than what's already included?
Am I missing anyone else?

Re: Tipping!

• Options
    Caterer, bartender,
  • Options
    Those are both included in the hotel where the reception is being held. Tips are included in the price. We will tip the bartenders (3 of them) extra, of course. And I know a lot of guests will too (although I'd never expect it.. I just see it done at every hosted bar wedding I've been to and always do it myself)
  • Options

You'll get mixed reactions to this, but here is my 2 cents

The photog (owns her own business) - Would you tip them if they were an employee?
    Hair and makeup artist (owns salon) - Do you tip them when you go for a regular hair appointment?
    Dj (owns business) - if you are happy with service, why not?
    Florist (owns business) - Did they charge you a delivery fee? Sometimes you won't even see them depending on when & where your flowers are dropped off. Also will the actual florist be dropping them off or a delivery person?
    His driver (2.5 hrs of service) - Yes

Here is my logic for tipping owners, by not tipping them, you are saying "hey because you took the risk to become a business owner, you don't deserve the extra nod for the great job you did." I'm all for not tipping the photographer until you see your photos to see if they did a good job. But really a good job is a good job, shouldn't matter if the person who did the job is an employee or an owner, they worked hard to make that part of your special day special. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but this is my opinion.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think you should tip anyone whom you think provided excellent service, whether they own the business or not.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the idea of not tipping an owner comes from someone who owns a business with employees where that owner is getting a percentage of whatever the employees make for the business.

I would still tip any service provider (if you are happy).
  • Options
    Erikan73 said:

You'll get mixed reactions to this, but here is my 2 cents

The photog (owns her own business) - Would you tip them if they were an employee?
    Hair and makeup artist (owns salon) - Do you tip them when you go for a regular hair appointment?
    Dj (owns business) - if you are happy with service, why not?
    Florist (owns business) - Did they charge you a delivery fee? Sometimes you won't even see them depending on when & where your flowers are dropped off. Also will the actual florist be dropping them off or a delivery person?
    His driver (2.5 hrs of service) - Yes

Here is my logic for tipping owners, by not tipping them, you are saying "hey because you took the risk to become a business owner, you don't deserve the extra nod for the great job you did." I'm all for not tipping the photographer until you see your photos to see if they did a good job. But really a good job is a good job, shouldn't matter if the person who did the job is an employee or an owner, they worked hard to make that part of your special day special. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but this is my opinion.

I am tipping them all my question is how much/ what percentage?
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ahhh... gotcha.

Might depend on your area but in Canada 15% is a pretty standard gratuity, of course you can always give more if you were more than pleased.

For the vendors we did tip, I think we went with around 20%. But we also considered the overall fee and how much time they spent on "us". For example, we met with our DJ twice prior to the wedding, he was there ALLL day (and he showed up quite early on his own), plus he did a good job, so we gave him a higher percentage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards