Wedding Party

Dont have a Flower girl

I know having a flower girl isn't necessary but i would still like someone to walk with my tiny ring bearer. Suggestions?

Re: Dont have a Flower girl

• If your RB is "tiny," I suspect he is too young to be the RB.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • he will be 25 months at the time of the wedding but his mom is a bridesmaid. so if it comes down to it he can walk with her
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

he will be 25 months at the time of the wedding but his mom is a bridesmaid. so if it comes down to it he can walk with her

Twenty-five months is two years and one month old.

That's still really too young. If a kid can't get up and down the aisle on his or her own without someone taking him or her, doesn't understand what's being asked of him or her, doesn't understand what "being on your best behavior" means, and won't remember the occasion later, s/he is too young to be in a wedding party. Just take photos with him or her and let it go at that.
  • 25 months = about 2 years old. Don't make people do math.

2 is too young. 3 or 4 is about the youngest you'd want to go.
    *********************************************************************************

• Yeah, I'm sorry he's too young to really be a ring bearer. 

Get some pictures with him and call it a day.

Anniversary
  • You'll probably need to plan for him to walk down the isle with his mother then. Chances are too, She may need to carry him.

• FI and I are not having either because we aren't close to any children. The wedding will go on. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah... my aunt suggested that my 25 month old twin cousins should walk down the aisle with my FI's 5 year old niece to "share the spot light". 

This was an automatic no.  I'm still holding my breath for the 5 year old!!!  :)
  • Erikan73 said:

You'll probably need to plan for him to walk down the isle with his mother then. Chances are too, She may need to carry him.

If she needs to carry him, she may well put the kibosh on his participation...or her own. I know I wouldn't want to be a bridesmaid/MOH and carry a less-than-3 years old down the aisle too.
  • You don't *have* to have a flower girl. However I kind of disagree on the age being too young, but I agree that he walk down with or near an adult. Or have him walk down first, and the bridesmaids follow, and his mom be the first bridesmaid so she's right behind him. I've seen 2 year old flower girls and ring bearers at weddings and they were fine.
  • My son is going to be almost 4 by the time we get married. He will not be our ring bearer. We have lots of little girls who could be flower girls but we aren't having one. You don't HAVE to have one. I haven't been to one wedding in 10 years that has had either.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    augsum15 said:

You don't *have* to have a flower girl. However I kind of disagree on the age being too young, but I agree that he walk down with or near an adult. Or have him walk down first, and the bridesmaids follow, and his mom be the first bridesmaid so she's right behind him. I've seen 2 year old flower girls and ring bearers at weddings and they were fine.

Many of us have also seen 2 year olds doing this who were not fine. They were simply not developmentally ready for what was being asked of them, whether physically, mentally, psychologically, or whatever, and they had meltdowns or otherwise behaved in ways that were not "cute" or "adorable" to witness.

I reiterate: If he's younger than 3 and/or needs someone to carry him down the aisle and back, he's too young. (Note: this does not refer to an older person with physical and/or mobility limitations.) No one's "role" in the wedding should be "walk kid down aisle who's too young to go on his/her own."

Edited to add: just take photos with a kid that young. S/he'll still be cute and included in this way.
  • I had 2 flower girls in our wedding that were likely too young (18 months and 2.5). I knew there was a good chance when the time came if they weren't feeling it they weren't going down the aisle. With that said they both did great and walk down with their mothers (both moms were BMs) and held their hands. The older one stayed up front holding her moms hand the whole ceremony and the younger one went and sat with her aunt (as her dad was a GM).

Anniversary
  • I had 2 flower girls in our wedding that were likely too young (18 months and 2.5). I knew there was a good chance when the time came if they weren't feeling it they weren't going down the aisle. With that said they both did great and walk down with their mothers (both moms were BMs) and held their hands. The older one stayed up front holding her moms hand the whole ceremony and the younger one went and sat with her aunt (as her dad was a GM).

It's lovely that that worked out so well for you, but it's not something you (generic) can count on.
  • I was in my parents wedding when I was just under 3 years ago. I had a meltdown, kicking and screaming in the aisle.  I tore out my hair. I have a puss on my face in all the pictures.  My parents are not uptight, so it's a funny story they tell. 

• edited June 2015
  • Hell I worry about my 6 year told step-son being our ring bearer and him acting up. He knows how to work a crowd and he's in a "silly" mood lately when it comes to photos. I don't think he'll be 'act up' but he can have a mind of his own. 

On that note, we won't be having a flower girl. Actually besides my FI and I, there are only 3 others in the wedding party. My BM, his MoH, and our RB
    11/21/2012 - Chapter 1: The Text
    10/23/2014 - Chapter 2: The Proposal
    11/21/2015 - Chapter 3: The Wedding

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I have an extra flower girl apparenlty you can have mine. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • vinerievinerie member
    First Comment
    edited July 2015
  • I think two is way too young. I worry about my fi's nephew in our wedding. He's five and an absolute pain in the butt. I know for a fact he won't sit still. If you can't get a five year old (who will be seven when the wedding actually happens), then good luck getting a two year old to sit still at a wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards