Chit Chat

Going to a black tie gala! Help me pick a dress!

I am gearing up to go to a gala where the President and First Lady will be in attendance in September. I really want a nice dress thats classic, fancy, but appropriate for the event! I have actually been looking at bridesmaid dresses because they usually have classic understated cuts that I can dress up with jewelry. What do you think of these? Feel free to post pictures of other dresses in general you think would work well.

image imageimage  image 

Re: Going to a black tie gala! Help me pick a dress!

• I LOOOOOOOOVE the strapless navy blue one. 

all the others are pretty, but just ok for me. 

• Out of the four you posted I would go with the first one.  That one drew my eye immediately.

What is your budget?

• I absolutely love the first one!
  • I like the first and second ones. I think I would like the second more if it was a richer color, maybe like a deep teal or purple.

• I love the looks of the first one. Bonus, it's bra friendly.

• Personally, I wouldn't do a strapless dress. I think the first one is classic and elegant!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks ladies! @Maggie0829 my budget is $200. All of these dresses were in my price range on weddingtonway. I plan to try them on in a store before making a decision. Seems like everyone likes the 1st or 2nd which are my top 2! They both come in a multitude of colors so I can really pick whatever looks best!
  • I also vote for the first one. I think it's gorgeous 
  • Ooh that first one would look amazing in a deep purple jewel tone color.

• One or two; one is slightly hotter than two.

Have fun!

• I think between 1 and 2 it will come down to how the shapes look on my body. One is a more mermaid and the other is more ballgown. I do think dress one is the safer choice with the sleeves. 
  • First one 110%
  • Someone told me to check out rent the runway. What do you guys think about this dress? Do you like it better than the bridesmaid dresses?

• I don't like that dress.  I am still team "first dress you posted."

• But of course it all comes down to what you feel best in when you try things on.

• Thanks! @maggie0829 I agree with you! haha. I love to sparkly but I'm not sure I want to be in sequins head to toe at this event. 
  • Even with the sparkly dress posted I'd still go for the very first one, with the V-neck. With the president and first lady in attendance I'd go for conservative, personally. 

• Another vote for the first one.  The sparkly one is too much of a V in front to be appropriate, I think.  

I'd be worried about the pink one being a bit too "hello" in the chest region as well, but that'll depend on the actual fit on you.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Thanks! @thisismynickname.

I think this dress gives a jackie o feel. image
    I always liked this dress in the short version.  I think this is a nice combination of the first and second dress.  I just really like that neckline because your shoulders are covered but it is still a bit sexy, which is completely fine even with the POTUS in the building.

• Thanks! @thisismynickname.

I think this dress gives a jackie o feel. image

THIS is even more fantastic.  I like the modest shoulders for the event, but it has a much nicer/more appropriate shape for an event like you described as well.

I think this is the winner!!!!!

• I've worn that black sparkly Rent the Runway dress. It cut my arms up so bad from the sequins. Never again.
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I LOVE both the first dress you posted and the pink one.  I think the shape of both of them are really classic and classy.  The strapless ones just don't seem right for the occasion.  But of course, as others have said, it depends on how they look on your body.  I'd love for you to give us pics of you in it!  I'm so jealous!

SaveSave
  • The first one is a no-brainer for me. It's STUNNING. I also love the pink one you posted in the comments.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Out of the four you posted I would go with the first one.  That one drew my eye immediately.

What is your budget?
    That is the one I would pick for the Gala. Looks beautiful!

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• I would also vote for the first one. It is beautiful, yet appropriate. Stunning :)
  • I like the blue strapless or the pink one. The first blue one is similar to the pink one.  The only reason I don't pick that one is because I'm not a fan of trumpet/mermaid shapes.

As for the RtR dress, I wore that exact dress except in a the gold color.  I wanted it in black or navy but it wasn't available.  I loved it, got a million complements, and felt absolutely gorgeous. It was a bit scratchy under the arms, but not too bad. I liked it but I did feel a touch overdressed.  No one else wore a full-sequin dress.  Next time, I probably won't go full-sequin unless I know everyone else will be in something equally fancy.
  • Love the pink dress. I have to vote against dress #1. This appears to be an unpopular opinion, but I always think mermaid dresses look ridiculous.
  • Thanks ladies! I plan on trying on this Friday hopefully!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards