Registry and Gift Forum

Lasting gift for my fiance

I want to give a gift to my fiance on our wedding day, but I'm having trouble deciding what. I know he is giving me a necklace that we saw when we picked out our wedding bands. Meanwhile, he is not a jewelry person, doesn't wear a watch, and dislikes wearing even a plain tie clasp when he's in a suit because it's "too flashy."

He will be wearing his antique pearl tie pin that was his late grandfather's at our wedding because they were very close and his mother asked him to. I suggested that I could look for a set of cufflinks that match it, but he didn't like that idea. (He did say he would wear them if I found a pair, but it would be because I ask him to.)

My next thought was getting him a really nice carving set. Snakeyguy does most of the cooking, and I think that's something he'd actually use.

Does anyone have any other ideas for gifts that aren't accessories and could last a long time?

(I know the usual tactic is to gift like it was his birthday or Christmas, but for those I usually ask him to pick out an upgrade to his (admittedly awesome) gaming computer. While he always likes them, they are items that will be obsolete in a few years. They're not something he will keep and say, "Oh, Snakeylady gave me this graphics card on our wedding day.")

Re: Lasting gift for my fiance

• I want to give a gift to my fiance on our wedding day, but I'm having trouble deciding what. I know he is giving me a necklace that we saw when we picked out our wedding bands. Meanwhile, he is not a jewelry person, doesn't wear a watch, and dislikes wearing even a plain tie clasp when he's in a suit because it's "too flashy."

He will be wearing his antique pearl tie pin that was his late grandfather's at our wedding because they were very close and his mother asked him to. I suggested that I could look for a set of cufflinks that match it, but he didn't like that idea. (He did say he would wear them if I found a pair, but it would be because I ask him to.)

My next thought was getting him a really nice carving set. Snakeyguy does most of the cooking, and I think that's something he'd actually use.

Does anyone have any other ideas for gifts that aren't accessories and could last a long time?

(I know the usual tactic is to gift like it was his birthday or Christmas, but for those I usually ask him to pick out an upgrade to his (admittedly awesome) gaming computer. While he always likes them, they are items that will be obsolete in a few years. They're not something he will keep and say, "Oh, Snakeylady gave me this graphics card on our wedding day.")
    If he does the cooking, I'd say that cast iron is long lasting.  I like the idea of a carving knife too (There's an episode of The West Wing where the president has his assistant out looking for carving knives.  "A carving knife is something you hand down, so you can say my father gave this to me, his father gave it to him, and now I'm giving it to you.")  Remembering this episode I now think you should get him a carving knife because President Josiah Bartlet is da bomb!
  • You can get him a pocket knife with your wedding date or a swiss army knife
  • I love the idea of something to pass on. Could you have your anniversary etched into the carving knife handle?

If the carving set doesn't work, does your FI also use a laptop? If so, what about a nice leather laptop bag/ messenger bag (maybe embossed with his initials or wedding date).  He could continue to use it for his technology, even as he updates his computer/tablet/whatevercomesnext. It will fit in with your usual gift, but it will last far longer, and if properly cared for, could last a lifetime.  My FI carries his grandpa's briefcase for work, and the latch code is his grandparents anniversary.

I'm giving my FI a watch, but also a white pocket square with both of our initials and wedding date embroidered on it.  My mom found a company online that can make customized cufflinks (you pick the metal, design etc.), and she actually had ironman cufflinks made (his dog is named tony stark) that she is giving him for the big day, and they ended up being under $40.  They won't match anything, but they say a lot about his personality.
  • I gave H a nice daily wear watch for our wedding - but he had also expressed interest in having one so I knew it would be a good gift.

I definitely second giving him some sort of nice carving knife or a set of knives as a gift. Unless he'd wear cufflinks frequently for work or wears a suit a lot, I just don't see the value in those.

You don't HAVE to give him a gift on your wedding day. A nice letter goes just as far and probably has more meaning. You could always do something later - like an experience (maybe a romantic weekend camping?) and call that your gift too.

• I love the idea of something to pass on. Could you have your anniversary etched into the carving knife handle?

If the carving set doesn't work, does your FI also use a laptop? If so, what about a nice leather laptop bag/ messenger bag (maybe embossed with his initials or wedding date).  He could continue to use it for his technology, even as he updates his computer/tablet/whatevercomesnext. It will fit in with your usual gift, but it will last far longer, and if properly cared for, could last a lifetime.  My FI carries his grandpa's briefcase for work, and the latch code is his grandparents anniversary.

I'm giving my FI a watch, but also a white pocket square with both of our initials and wedding date embroidered on it.  My mom found a company online that can make customized cufflinks (you pick the metal, design etc.), and she actually had ironman cufflinks made (his dog is named tony stark) that she is giving him for the big day, and they ended up being under $40.  They won't match anything, but they say a lot about his personality.
    Not everything needs to be embossed or engraved with a monogram, name, or date.  Maybe a knife can just be a knife without a wedding date engraved into the handle.  I'm perfectly capable of looking at a calendar, I don't need to look at my expensive ass carving knife to remember my wedding date.
  • I got DH a gorgeous Tiffany decanter with a fancy bottle of scotch.  He is a big scotch fan.  It's gorgeous, and well made. It"s on display on our liquor cabinet and he"ll have it forever, long after the original bottle of scotch is gone.  Is that something your fiance might like?
  • It's nice to see some support for the carving set. He very much likes practical things, and I really want to get him something heirloom-quality.

I probably wouldn't get anything engraved with our wedding date; we're not big on monograms and things like that. He also doesn't use a laptop or carry a bag frequently.

A decanter is also a good idea, as we were thinking about buying a liquor cabinet sometime after the wedding when we can start saving for other things again. I'll have to consider that too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards