Snarky Brides

Wedding Party - Required Tanning

cj3561cj3561 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited July 2015 in Snarky Brides
I literally could not wait to get on here this morning to share this horror story my FI was telling me about last night. It's beyond absurd.

An old co-worker of his was getting married, and apparently herself and the rest of her family are very pale skinned. The bride hit the tanning beds and had gotten a decent tan going. Well, somewhere along the line, she decided she didn't want the rest of her wedding party (both male and female) looking like "ghosts" in her wedding photos. So, she went out and bought them each a 10 session tanning package. She then required them to submit to her receipts as proof that they completed the full 10 sessions prior to the wedding.

My jaw was on the freakin floor. If that doesn't take the cake for top 10 craziest WP requirements, I don't know what would. Sure, skin cancer is SO worth it for your wedding photos!

What a disgusting bridezilla. I didn't even believe it was a true story until FI started giving me all the details...

Thoughts?

Edited to include: HAPPY FRIDAY! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.

Re: Wedding Party - Required Tanning

• I would take that tanning package and tell her to stuff it up her butt. I am very pale, and I can't get even a slight tan without burning. There's no way that would fly with me. Plus, my hair is reddish, and I would look ridiculous with a tan. Not. Happening.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That 10 session tanning thing wouldn't work for me. It take months for me to get tan. I'm super pale and if I do get a tan, it isnt until the end of the season after a sunburn or 2. This year, surprisingly I never got burnt and I am about 2 shades darker, but thats because im the queen of SPF 30.
  • Holy shit. My jaw is on the floor as well.

At first as I was reading, I was thinking "oh well that's just ridiculous, but the wedding party could probably just not go and say they had."

And then I got to the receipts part.

What the actual fuck. No. Just no.

• I lived in Florida for 10 years and never got a tan. Then I got with my ex, who insisted I hit tanning beds to try before our trip to Jamaica. Lo and behold-- four months in a tanning bed regularly and I was maaaaayyyybe half a shade darker. And it faded after two weeks of not going.

Some people cannot tan. Some people don't want to be tan (I didn't-- controlling ex and I was weaker when younger). Trying to force people to change their skin tone is creepy.

• I'd be dropping out SO FAST before she even got to finish explaining this ridiculous "requirement".

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• WTF. Many members of my family, on both sides, have had some kind of skin cancer (major and minor).  So I'd tell that bride to shove it real quick if that became a "requirement".  
    Married 9.12.15
  • There is no way in hell I would do that, and it would be a friendship ending move to ask me that. I am blonde, blue-eyed, and pale as ice. Just got my friend's wedding photos and out of 8 women dressed in black, I'm the lightest-skinned. Who the fuck cares?

I'm not getting skin cancer for your fucking photos. 

• Show her this photo (edited to protect the innocent). I'm the second on the right, pale as a ghost. Tell the bride to fuck herself. 

• I'm a pale girl with dark hair, Snow White. I wear sunscreen year round and carry a bottle of it in my purse at all times. I'm the go-to girl for sunscreen when everyone forgets. 

I have been in several weddings and would laugh in the face of anyone who demanded that I "get some colour". Yeah, that ain't happening.

• Wow.. this is unreal! I can't believe people like this even exist! I tan easily, my mom used to say I could look at the sun and be tan, but there is no way in hell I'm going to go tanning and risk skin cancer for your wedding "vision". 

The receipts just took this to a while new level, I would love to see her wedding organizer, I bet it's freaking FANTASTIC!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Show her this photo (edited to protect the innocent). I'm the second on the right, pale as a ghost. Tell the bride to fuck herself. 
    OMG you like totes ruined that picture! Poor bride!
  • I would take that tanning package and tell her to stuff it up her butt. I am very pale, and I can't get even a slight tan without burning. There's no way that would fly with me. Plus, my hair is reddish, and I would look ridiculous with a tan. Not. Happening.
    ^ This. I am the same way. FI and I went to Mexico and I didn't tan. My freckles just come out and I'm sorry, as a 27yr old I don't want to be "cute" *glower* {i have zero against my freckles, but they make me look young and I already look young}
  • Yeah, I'd be dropping out of that wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    adk19 said:
    I tan really easily and find tanning beds to be super relaxing.  But when FH and I got serious, he asked to me to please never use a tanning bed again.  He loves me and doesn't want me to die of skin cancer.  I'd laugh in that bride's face if she demanded I tan.  Awful.

-------------------------------------------------

Awwww...he loves you!

• cj3561 said:

I literally could not wait to get on here this morning to share this horror story my FI was telling me about last night. It's beyond absurd.

An old co-worker of his was getting married, and apparently herself and the rest of her family are very pale skinned. The bride hit the tanning beds and had gotten a decent tan going. Well, somewhere along the line, she decided she didn't want the rest of her wedding party (both male and female) looking like "ghosts" in her wedding photos. So, she went out and bought them each a 10 session tanning package. She then required them to submit to her receipts as proof that they completed the full 10 sessions prior to the wedding.

My jaw was on the freakin floor. If that doesn't take the cake for top 10 craziest WP requirements, I don't know what would. Sure, skin cancer is SO worth it for your wedding photos!

What a disgusting bridezilla. I didn't even believe it was a true story until FI started giving me all the details...

Thoughts?

Yeah the bride is an idiot. And I usually don't say that about most people. Hope she doesn't get skin cancer because of her decision. But She has no right to demand that other people take that risk too.
  • My father almost died from melanoma. I would have to tell her no, as I don't use tanning beds because of my predisposition to skin cancer.

This is so incredibly rude I can't even fathom what on earth she was thinking when she asked this.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Bets on whether this requirement will also double as the bridal party "gift".
  • Not only is she too crazy for words, she's also stupid. Why not just ask them to spray tan if she's so desperate for them to tan instead of risking their health? Even then, they have every right to say no and drop out of her WP. It would actually be funny if they all dropped out together and she found her tan self at the altar with just her fiance.
  • Oh HELLLL fucking no.  Not only does skin cancer run in my family and I am the Queen of SPF 30, but I look terrible with a fake tan (when I used to be a stupid teenager and actually went tanning, *shudder*) so I would not be ok with forced spray tanning either.  It's the running joke among friends and family that I am the palest one in the room always and I embrace it.  I would be downright insulted if a bride told me I needed to be tan for her wedding... my natural skin color really isn't good enough for you?  Sorry, bye.

This bride deserves to be standing up there with her FI, alone.

• I'd have to ask if she preferred my glow in the dark pale skin or blistered lobster red skin if I have to get "sun" or Oompa-Loompa orange if I break out the spray tan. Because those are my options. Give me the SPF 50 and let me reapply hourly. I use Meow foundation and use 9 1/2 parts Snow Lynx to 1/4 part Chausie 0 and 1/4 part Bengal 0 if we feel like being particular.

Which is made all the better with blue-black hair and pale green/gray eyes. Never mind Snow White and her diamond miners. I'm going full on Maleficent. Which probably isn't helped by my love of purple eyeshadow.
  • LOL, she'd love having me in her wedding then!  I'm part Native American but I get asked all the time if I'm Greek, Lebanese, or Chaldean.  10 visits in a tanning booth and I'm looking like a Rachel Dolezal wannabe.

My sister is a bridesmaid in a wedding (her SIL's) that originally wanted everyone to spray tan.  She said if that's a deal breaker she won't stand up because a.  it's rude b. she lives in Florida and has a nice tan and c. spray tans are never the same color as our actual tanned skin.
  • I swear I read the title as "Required Training"

This is much worse. Submit receipts?!

Bitch, GTFO....
  • This is really high on the list for worst things I've read a bride asking for.  Wow.  I would drop out of that bridal party so fast.  I've never been to a tanning salon and I never will, for any reason.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • cj3561 said:

Thoughts?

Skin cancer is a requirement to be in the wedding?  Sounds like a fun event.
  • ejpentecostejpentecost member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2015
    Nope! I like the fair skin I was born with. 

Maybe I could demand all my darker skinned bridesmaids bleach their skin to match mine. Because apparently asking photo props people to change their skin color is perfectly reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards