Wedding Etiquette Forum

family/bridal party transportation from house to ceremony?

Hi everyone!

Hoping someone could help.  My fiance (Jason) and I are getting married in March and here are the details:

- all the ladies and my dad will be at my parents' house getting ready

- all the men will be with Jason at our house getting ready, which is only 1.8 miles from my parents' house

- we are doing a "first look" at our house, so we will need to leave my parents' house, stop at Jason & my house, do the first look, then go to the venue where the ceremony and reception will both be held (interfaith marriage). 

My question: who goes with who in what car/limo!?!?

The cast of characters are:

- bride

- mother & father of bride

- maid of honor/bridesmaids/jr bridesmaids/flower girl

- groom

- mother of groom, grandmother of groom, and grandmother's nurse

- best men/groomsmen/jr groomsman/ringbearers

Thank you!

LG

Re: family/bridal party transportation from house to ceremony?

• LGJB2016 said:

Hi everyone!

Hoping someone could help.  My fiance (Jason) and I are getting married in March and here are the details:

- all the ladies and my dad will be at my parents' house getting ready

- all the men will be with Jason at our house getting ready, which is only 1.8 miles from my parents' house

- we are doing a "first look" at our house, so we will need to leave my parents' house, stop at Jason & my house, do the first look, then go to the venue where the ceremony and reception will both be held (interfaith marriage). 

My question: who goes with who in what car/limo!?!?

The cast of characters are:

- bride

- mother & father of bride

- maid of honor/bridesmaids/jr bridesmaids/flower girl

- groom

- mother of groom, grandmother of groom, and grandmother's nurse

- best men/groomsmen/jr groomsman/ringbearers

Thank you!

LG

You could rent a limo or party bus or people can drive their cars. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • marie2785marie2785 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2015
    We have parents in the cars, and the bridal party, including flower girls/ring bearers in the limo.

Remember if you provide them transportation TO the wedding and mandate they use it, you need to help them get home at the end of the night. We rented a shuttle for everyone using the limo to get back to the hotel at the end of the night. Had we not also been renting a shuttle for venue/hotel transportation, I wouldn't have rented the limo. It's mean to get people stuck at a venue, especially if it's not a city with tons of cabs/uber/public transportation. 
  • We had the same kind of set up as you - girls at one house, guys at another house, first look was at the church, then off for pictures.

It's not really that big of a deal.  Everyone just gets into a car.  My dad came and picked me up from where we were getting ready, so he and Mom and I were in one car to go to the church.  My sister's husband and my brother also came at the same time as Dad, so some of the girls went with them.  My BFF had my car, so she took whoever was left.

After the first look, J and I were in his car together wherever we went for the rest of the night.  Everyone else was in charge of their own transportation.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • We essentially had a "bride's limo" and a "groom's limo". The bride's limo picked up me and my family at the hotel where we were getting ready and took us to a picture location (where we also did a first look) and then the venue. The groom's limo picked him up at our house where he was with his family, and too them to the picture location and then the venue. It worked well for us. Essentially we had everyone we wanted in pictures just meet us at the hotel our house, and took them with us. 

We had a shuttle for other guests to get from the hotel to the venue, and we all (bride and groom included) took the shuttle back at the end of the night. 
  • You can have whoever you want, or no one in the car with you. The thing to keep in mind is for the people you have come in the vehicle with you, you need to plan ahead on how they will get home later that night. For us, we the men getting ready at our house which was 2 miles from the reception hall. So they got ready & each drove their cars to the reception hall & that is where limo picked them up from. Basically we did the same with the girls who needed to have cars at the reception hall. We did arrange to have the limo pick up the girls and then take us to the church & then go back for the boys later so we didn't see each other (we didn't do a first look). This way we didn't have to pay for a vehicle to take anyone home (groom left our car at reception hall) and no one had to find rides back to their cars either. I'll be honest, I didn't want any cars left at my house since that is where we were going after the reception. Didn't want anyone asking to spend the night.
  • Everyone in our wedding party drove themselves or carpooled with other wedding party members.

So my one BM drove with me, my Mom and my sister/MOH.  After the wedding my BM went home with her boyfriend and my sister/MOH went with her H back to the hotel.  My Mom and Dad drove me and my H to the hotel.

For the GM, those with dates/SOs at the wedding carpooled with those who didn't bring a plus one. Or they drove themselves if they were staying at the nearby hotel.

Remember these are adults so they are certainly capable of figuring out their own transportation if you cannot afford to provide any.  But like PP said, if you provide transportation to the wedding then you need to make sure that they have a way to get home.

• The one rule of thumb is that any transportation you provide needs to be two-way. If you're transporting them to the ceremony and reception then you also need to arrange for their transportation home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards