Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

First Dance etiquette?

My FI really wants to use "She's Everything" by Brad Paisley for our first dance song. I may be overthinking things, so I need opinions. If you haven't heard the song, here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjXaEbrLdw
If you don't feel like taking the time to listen to the song, it is the man singing about how great the woman is the entire time and how "she's everything" to him. 
My question is, would this be weird since it's more about one of us instead of us as a whole? Does this seem self-centered, disrespectful, etc..? Keep in mind that the guests at our wedding will have no idea that this was FI's idea and may think that I chose the song myself. Thanks in advance for your help! 

Re: First Dance etiquette?

• Options
    I think you're overthinking this. And I seriously doubt your guests are going to be analyzing the lyrics of the song, if they even bother to listen to them. Do yo like the song? If so, use it.
  • Options
    you are over thinking. It's a beautiful song IMO.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Overthinking.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Overthinking
  • Options
    Overthinking.  We are using "Soulmates" by Josh Turner.  I think you will find that a lot of songs like this tend to be about the singer and how he feels about the woman/man he loves (Then" by Brad Paisley for example also)  No worries, your song will be just fine!
  • Options
    Overthinking.

I did a fast google search about top wedding first dance songs. There are hundreds of lists. I posted the top 10 from one list below. Most of the lists have the majority of these songs on them in one order or another. As you notice most of them are one person talking/singing about another. I think you have a beautiful song. It will be lovely!

All Of Me
    Wonderful Tonight
    The Way You Look Tonight
    At Last
    Marry Me
    What A Wonderful World
    Marry You
    I'm Yours
    Can't Help Falling In Love
    God Gave Me You
  • Options
    Overthinking.  

I rarely notice the lyrics to a first dance song.  So I certainly won't be sitting their analyzing the song and thinking "this is too much about her and not enough about him!"

• Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Agreed, overthinking.  I think it's actually sweet that he picked that song for your first dance.  

If you really really are worried about it though, I think it could be a nice "walking down the aisle" song, although you probably wouldn't get to use the whole song that way. 

Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Any time someone wants to analyze songs played at the wedding reminds me of when HGF used to shriek in horror at the prospect of anyone using "Wonderful Tonight" at their wedding b/c the song was written for another man's wife. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Overthinking.
  • Options
    Agree overthinking.

But if it would make you really uncomfortable, you could look for an instrumental version. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Overthinking.

I doubt you will easily find with lyrics intended towards to people. Most songs are written from the perspective of the artist to someone else.

The song is beautiful.

A first dance song is also a personal choice- as long as it isn't morally or ethically offensive, no one has any reason to be offended by any song you choose.
  • Options
    Beautiful song and if you're both happy with it, go with it.

We're using the song we danced to on the first night we met, Darius Rucker's version of Wagon Wheel. Not necessarily a "normal" first dance song, but the meaning of it is more important to us.

• Options

Overthinking.

You're going to run into this with any song with lyrics - the gender of the person singing vs. the gender of the person they're singing to.

Our first dance was "Always In My Head" by Coldplay.  Just because it's Chris Martin singing it doesn't mean that I don't feel the same way towards my husband.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards