Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Thank you notes for gifts arriving in multiple shipments

We recently received a shipment for one item out of a registry order that included two items. Apparently the other item is currently on backorder and won't ship for another month. Do I send the thank you note now or do I wait until both items have arrived? I don't want to be rude and wait too long but I also don't want to confuse the gift giver into thinking that we already received both items. I'm leaning toward shooting her a quick text message to tell her that we received the first item and thank her for it and write a thank you note once the other item arrives.

Re: Thank you notes for gifts arriving in multiple shipments

• Options
    This happened to us as well.  I would write the thank you note now - and I think it's ok to acknowledge that part of it is on backorder and you can't wait to get it and put it to good use, etc.  My FMIL bought our china and all of the bowls were backordered.  I thanked her in person, then sent a thank you note, then a nice text once the bowls came in a few weeks later.  I think it's always best to lead with the thank you note rather than wait - JMHO. 

• Options
    I would send one now for the item that you received.  Besides thanking the giver for the gift it also lets them know you received it which is important.  They most likely know that the other item is on back order.  Then once the other item arrives just send a follow up note and say "Yay so excited that the other item arrived! Blah, blah, blah..."

• Options
    Could you write your thank you note thanking the person for both items, then mention how one is on back order and can't wait to receive it? 
  • Options
    We recently received a shipment for one item out of a registry order that included two items. Apparently the other item is currently on backorder and won't ship for another month. Do I send the thank you note now or do I wait until both items have arrived? I don't want to be rude and wait too long but I also don't want to confuse the gift giver into thinking that we already received both items. I'm leaning toward shooting her a quick text message to tell her that we received the first item and thank her for it and write a thank you note once the other item arrives.
    Send the note now thanking them for the part of the gift that arrived.  There's always a chance that when the gift-giver realizes part of the gift is backordered that they might cancel the order and possibly get you something else.  Is it really the worst thing in the world to thank someone multiple times?
  • Options
    This happened to us as well.  I would write the thank you note now - and I think it's ok to acknowledge that part of it is on backorder and you can't wait to get it and put it to good use, etc.  My FMIL bought our china and all of the bowls were backordered.  I thanked her in person, then sent a thank you note, then a nice text once the bowls came in a few weeks later.  I think it's always best to lead with the thank you note rather than wait - JMHO. 
    I think this is a good way to respond.  Let them know you received the first item know, via thank you note, and say that you are anxious to receive part 2, which is on back order.  Then when the other part arrives, send them some acknowledgement that you received it and how much you appreciate it.  Even if the second one is something less formal, like text or e-mail, since you already kind of thanked them officially in the first note. 

• Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will send one thank you note now, mentioning the backordered item, and contact her again once we receive the other item.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards