Chit Chat
Options

Student Loan Refinancing - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

So I have four separate student loans from each of my four years in college. Unfortunately, at the time I did not know enough about finance or loans of any kind; and my parents were equally uninformed about the student loan process. We ended up selecting a group that kinda looks like it's public/federal, but it's not, and their interest rates are extremely high (off the top of my head 7%+ on each individual loan). I have been out of college for over two years and paying on these loans monthly, but due to the high interest rates, I am ending up only paying down interest and not actually paying off the loan. The loans are in my parents' name, but I tend to make many of the monthly payments (when I can afford it). It is not remotely feasible for me to pay over the monthly bill and actually take a chunk out of the loans, because they are so expensive that I am paying MORE than what I pay in rent monthly on these monsters. It is extremely disheartening because I had an academic scholarship AND went to a state school, but my yearly tuition was still over 20k for the first two years, then around 13k when I moved off campus. College tuition costs are so gross.

My question is this: Do any of you have experience in refinancing private student loans, and if so, what bank do you recommend and why? Because the loans are not in my name, I can't do much other than gather info and lay it at my parents' feet. They are not particularly motivated to refinance the loans, since they aren't making all of the monthly payments, but I have brought it up and they are open to doing it if I can find some good options.

I keep getting mail from SoFi, which sounds like a potentially good option with low interest rates, but I am always skeptical when I get spammy ads in the mail, so I'd love to hear some real experiences.

Re: Student Loan Refinancing - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

• Options
    I refinanced mine about 10 years ago.  I originally used a company called Nelnet, but they recently switched me to another servicer, Firstmark Services, so I don't know if they still do the consolidation loans.  

It was super easy to do if I recall correctly.  My rates before were crazy high, like well over 10%, even though I had never paid late.  I think I'm around 5.25% now.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    SoFi is extremely popular with my friends. It tends to require that you have a substantial income, but it's worth a shot.
  • Options
    SoFi is extremely popular with my friends. It tends to require that you have a substantial income, but it's worth a shot.
    Ah that's good to hear. I guess it will remain in my parents' name, and they have a pretty good joint income, so I don't see it being a problem. 
  • Options
    Hey there, 
    I work in higher education so I can try to offer some insight, but I have questions based on what you said. I know federal aid options have changed over the years too so it's tough to figure out what someone may have had from years prior. 

Have you ever read through this site: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/

What should happen at the undergraduate level is that you would try to get federal loans first before taking on actual private loans. Dependents qualify for x amount per academic year (check the site). There have been loan servicers, meaning while your loan may be handled by a private company (mine was Sallie Mae, now I use Navient) the money would be still federal. Do subsidized and subsidized ring bells to you?  

If you do have federal loans, you can consolidate them using the loan consolidation program (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/consolidation). You still choose an independent service provider but four loans would turn into one loan with a new interest rate and payment plan. 

Look into that. 

If I'm understanding you wrong and you really do have all private money, then, wow... I'm sorry. That blows. But even so, your school should have had financial aid exit counseling. I suggest you go back to your school's FA office and make them help you figure this out. 

• Options
    Hey there, 
    I work in higher education so I can try to offer some insight, but I have questions based on what you said. I know federal aid options have changed over the years too so it's tough to figure out what someone may have had from years prior. 

What should happen at the undergraduate level is that you would try to get federal loans first before taking on actual private loans. Dependents qualify for x amount per academic year (check the site). There have been loan servicers, meaning while your loan may be handled by a private company (mine was Sallie Mae, now I use Navient) the money would be still federal. Do subsidized and subsidized ring bells to you?  

If you do have federal loans, you can consolidate them using the loan consolidation program (https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/consolidation). You still choose an independent service provider but four loans would turn into one loan with a new interest rate and payment plan. 

Look into that. 

If I'm understanding you wrong and you really do have all private money, then, wow... I'm sorry. That blows. But even so, your school should have had financial aid exit counseling. I suggest you go back to your school's FA office and make them help you figure this out. 
    Ah thank you! I am almost positive it's all private money. It was through a company called the Higher Education Assistance Authority. They service loans to students in NJ. Their site looks like a state site, but from everything I've been able to find, they don't offer anything that normal federal loans do. I might just be completely wrong, and I didn't even know most schools had financial aid counseling, so I'll have to get in touch with the FA office and see what they have to say.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    These are valid reasons to refinance

1.  Lower the interest rate.  Bear in  mind that you will pay the interest off first, and gradually pay more of the principle as the loan payment progresses.

2.  Lower payments.  If you consolidate 4 loans into one, you will have lower payments.

3.  Faster payoff.  This probably isn't an option for you.  As older homeowners, refinancing our mortgage for a lower rate wasn't a good move for us if it extended our payments over more time.  We financed our current home with 70% cash (rolled over from our previous home) and a 15 year loan, which we paid off early.  We are now completely debt free.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I did a consolidation loan through the website that @thisismynickname mentioned. It saved me hundreds monthly

• Options
    I did a consolidation loan through the website that @thisismynickname mentioned. It saved me hundreds monthly
    I'm actually almost positive I don't have federal loans, so I don't think I will be able to consolidate that way. :(
  • Options
    I'm going to present some of this information to DH.  He has private loans and is paying out of his @$$ each month.  The company, I believe is Nelnet, they won't work with him so maybe switching companies and refinancing might be better for him.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:
    I'm actually almost positive I don't have federal loans, so I don't think I will be able to consolidate that way. :(
    Actually, go through the motions though anyway. Since I finished a grad program last year I just recently went through the process myself. If memory serves, it asks you a bunch of questions and can even pull information on your loans and tells you what's eligible. The worst you're going to find out is that it's a definite no. 

• Options
    abcdevonn said:
    Actually, go through the motions though anyway. Since I finished a grad program last year I just recently went through the process myself. If memory serves, it asks you a bunch of questions and can even pull information on your loans and tells you what's eligible. The worst you're going to find out is that it's a definite no. 
    That is perfect and exactly what I need hahah! Thanks so much for the help.
  • Options
    My loans are all federal from law school. I went through SoFi. I did basically no research - I was lucky enough that a trusted friend happened to be doing pretty extensive research on refinancing for herself, so once she picked a company to go with, I just went with the same one. :) They do require pretty substantial income, but my total payment went down by about $300 a month between the consolidation and the better interest rate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I'll also share how my went because I was rather... shocked. I had consolidated my undergraduate loans (federal) ages ago on 20 or 30 years for extremely low interest (luck of the times when I graduated). My recent grad school loans were all of average interest and were substantially higher principle. When I went through the consolidation worksheet, I should have been able to choose a 15 year payment plan with a monthly payment and interest rate I figured was average and reasonable. So imagine my surprise when I get my notification of my new plan and it's double the monthly payment I was expecting, but for five years and ridiculously low interest. 
    Luckily I can afford the monthly payment, and my grand total payback is far lower than I thought it would be because it's not accruing interest as long. I figure the government or servicer saw me as someone who can and would actually pay back what I borrowed and gave me the aggressive plan... maybe to balance out all the loans that are being deferred, forgiven, or placed in forbearance these days. It stung to have a higher monthly bill, but the long-term benefit of that is far better. And the good news is in a whopping 5 years I'll be student-debt free, which is exciting! 

Good luck OP! 

• Options
    abcdevonn said:
    Hey there, 

Look into that. 

Ah thank you! I am almost positive it's all private money. It was through a company called the Higher Education Assistance Authority. They service loans to students in NJ. Their site looks like a state site, but from everything I've been able to find, they don't offer anything that normal federal loans do. I might just be completely wrong, and I didn't even know most schools had financial aid counseling, so I'll have to get in touch with the FA office and see what they have to say.

Also in NJ and attended a state school.  I too got a few HESSA loans in my last few semesters over and above my federal loans.  I tried repeatedly, but not in the last 5 years or so, to try and consolidate my HESSA loans and my federal loans and have always been unable to.  Maybe it has changed since the last time I tried, but it never worked for me.  I have always had two different student loan payments to make each month.

I also needed to go into forbearance for some time since I was having some financial difficulties when the economy crashed.  HESSA would not allow me to stop payments, like my federal loans (up to 3 years!) did.  I had to at least pay the interest each month. 

• Options
    abcdevonn said:
    Hey there, 

Look into that. 

Also in NJ and attended a state school.  I too got a few HESSA loans in my last few semesters over and above my federal loans.  I tried repeatedly, but not in the last 5 years or so, to try and consolidate my HESSA loans and my federal loans and have always been unable to.  Maybe it has changed since the last time I tried, but it never worked for me.  I have always had two different student loan payments to make each month.

I also needed to go into forbearance for some time since I was having some financial difficulties when the economy crashed.  HESSA would not allow me to stop payments, like my federal loans (up to 3 years!) did.  I had to at least pay the interest each month. 

I truly feel like HESSA is the worst group ever...but I can't tell if I'm just mad because they are taking all my money! lol
  • Options
     And the good news is in a whopping 5 years I'll be student-debt free, which is exciting! 

Good luck OP! 

**Stuck in the gosh darn box!**

I'm throwing a huge party when I pay off all of my loans. I figured it was a legitimate reason to celebrate.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards