Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Trouble with a Bridesmaid

We are getting married on October 17th of this year. My partner and I are both women, so there aren't too many wedding traditions that we are stringently abiding by. My partner and I each asked five attendants to stand with us at our wedding in October. They all agreed. I asked my ladies this past fall about two or three months after we got engaged. Just after the first of the year, I told them what color/length dress and type of shoes to wear, but I did not pick a specific one- I wanted them to choose what would be in their budget, and flattering on their respective figures. No one had any objections to this at the time. I created a private facebook group for the girls to discuss some of the details. Several of them shared pictures of the dresses they chose. Now, I am having some trouble with one of my friends, who I will call "E." I have been checking in with them as we go to talk to them about their dresses (some of us live far apart). E is the only one who has not gone to choose and order her dress. I have asked her to go several times when I went with other girls, or offered to go with her one on one. For weeks, she kept telling me that she would go when she next got paid, and that she did not need me to go. I have not talked to her about it directly for almost a month- I know she hasn't forgotten because I can see that she has read the other posts and comments on the page, and even commented on a few. At the beginning of the week I asked her if she would like to go look at dresses on Friday. She told me she was unavailable. I asked if she had gone yet, and she said no. I asked instead if she had time to go next week, and that some dresses were taking up to six weeks to get in. It is now only eight weeks to the wedding. She became very short-tempered and told me that I should have given her a budget and a timeline. I found that odd considering I had told them eight months ago what the price range was for dresses (and have discussed it several times since), and when they needed them by. She indicated that the money might be a problem.

I have been trying to call her, but she will not answer the phone. At the risk of being rude, I tried to drop by her apartment for a one-on- one talk, but she wasn't at home. I didn't know what to do so I texted her and asked her if she still wanted to be in the wedding party. I told her that I want her up there with me (and I still do), but that I understand if she isn't financially able. I told her I wasn't offended if that was the case, that I understand that she is doing me a favor by being a part of it. I tried to work it in a way that sounded non-aggressive, but I also wanted her to know that I care about her, and want her to be a part of it if she can. She immediately sent me back a hateful response, saying she "does not have time to talk/text this out right now. I will text you tomorrow." Four days later, I still had not heard from her. I wanted to give her a few days, so I left her alone. Yesterday I went with a different bridesmaid, the last other than E, to pick out her dress and was told that some of the dresses would not be in until October 7th, depending on size and style. Again, our wedding is October 17th. I texted her again and simply asked if she had time to talk. She never answered. Today, a mutual friend of mine and E's told me that E has another friend getting married that weekend out of state, and that she said she would rather be at that wedding, but that since I had asked her to actually be IN mine, she felt obligated to go to mine. I hate that she only agreed because she felt she had to. If that is true, she would be spending more to travel out of state than she would on the dress, so that makes me question whether the cost is truly the problem, as she's led me to believe.

My feelings are incredibly hurt by her behavior. I have tried to be as informative and accomodating as I can, but I feel like she is being selfish at this point. I do not want to dis-invite her, but I don't know what to do. I am concerned that she will not order her dress in time, which I suppose would be her passive-aggressive way of saying she does not want to be in it. I don't know whether I should offer to help her pay for it, or what, since I do not know for a fact whether that is the problem. I have not paid for anyone else's, except the flower girls. Honestly, I do not have the extra money. My fiancee and I are paying for most of the wedding ourselves- our parents offered to pay for the honeymoon in exchange for a smaller, simpler wedding. The only cost to her other than her dress and shoes would be the cost of gas to get her there and back (it is about 90 minutes from home). My MOH assured me that the cost of the dress/shoes is not unreasonable, and that everyone who agrees to be in a wedding in general understands that they will have to spend that money. I've already arranged for her hotel room, as well as for someone else to do our hair and nails. I feel a little bit like she is holding me hostage. There are certain details of the planning that cannot move ahead without her- I need to know what she decides, if for no other reason than I will need to give her hotel room back. Obviously I would prefer an even number on both halves of the party, but I know it's not the end of the world if that can't happen. I am more concerned at this point about keeping the friendship together, even though I have been forced to take a good hard look at it. There is only about a ten day window from today in which she can still order a dress and have it be here in time. Other than offering to help E pay for it, the only other option I see is to wait until that window expires...but then, do what? What do I say to her once I know she has run out of time to get a dress by the wedding? She has stopped talking to me, more or less. Since she did not take the 'out' when I offered it, so to speak, I assumed she still wanted to be a part of it. But now that I know she would rather be somewhere else, I am not sure what her motives are. I am very non-confrontational and I do not want to argue with her about it. At this point, I just need to know where we stand. I have my doubts that she will come through for me. She can be very abrasive, and I know that no matter what happens, I will end up being the 'bad guy.'  I do not know what the appropriate response is here, or how to get through without making it worse. I realize I have made this sound like an ordeal, when really it's just a drop in the bucket, but she is important to me and I don't want to offend her. In retrospect I see that maybe she wasn't the best choice, but what's done is done. This is not important enough to me to lose a friendship over. Do I plan on her being there, do I not plan on her being there...Do I offer to help her pay, or wait and see what happens? How do I discuss this with her? What do I say when the timeline expires? Am I being unreasonable by asking her about the dress? Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with something like this?

Re: Trouble with a Bridesmaid

• Options
    Well, I'd stop bringing up the dress or even trying to talk about the wedding with her. All you can do now is wait and see if she shows up at your wedding in the dress. If she doesn't, she'll have taken herself out of the wedding party and I would discontinue the friendship at that point, because she'll have shown that she doesn't care about you as a friend. But I'd give her the chance to salvage it first.
  • Options
    Leave it alone. She doesn't have to order a dress. She can get one from a department store, and if she doesn't get one, oh well. She chooses not to be in the wedding, then.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I'm a bit unclear on the dress regulations. It sounds like you gave a dress style and colour and a shoe colour. No brand. No other requirement. This is fine. If you are expecting her to buy a dress from a specific store, knowing the prices, you should have determined her budget prior vs. saying "just so you know, you can pick any dress at X store in Y colour. They run between $200-300".

In the former case- let this be. She is an adult and knows how to buy a dress that is X colour. She can get that from anywhere. Even if you asked for the dress to be from a specific place, if the date runs past when it can be ordered, let her figure out where else to get a dress from.

I would leave her alone regarding the subject. The only requirement is that she shows up on time for the ceremony in the agreed upon dress (which you gave the specifications of). As said, if she doesn't show up dressed appropriately, she's removed herself from your wedding party, and there is your answer. You don't have to worry about "kicking her out" and you are not left the bad guy, when she has removed herself.

As for the hotel room- did she RSVP yes to your wedding? Then as of now she is still coming. Yes, I get that she could no-show, but that is the risk you take when you reserve a hotel room for someone else. She is an adult and can figure out her own travel and lodging. Yes, a nice gesture for you to get her a hotel room, but as a general rule, don't take on the costs of anything for anyone else unless you are prepared to pay those costs, whatever happens.

It's kind of shitty she felt obligated to be in your WP and is being crusty because she'd rather go to another wedding, but that part is on her (she is an adult who could have declined the offer). If you want to maintain the friendship, leave out the wedding talk. Give her some time to cool off, then try to talk to her as a friend only. Perhaps a "Hey, do you want to go out for a drink/coffee?" is more casual versus a "can we talk?" which sounds like you want to discuss the wedding.

• Options
    Did you ask your girls their budget first? You said you just wanted a dress in a color and length with a certain shoe, but then you said you'd given them a price range for the dresses. It might actually be the price if she's expected to purchase from a certain place.

I would drop it. You're basically stalking her so she obviously is dodging you. If she's not going to use the hotel room, maybe you could switch the reservation to your name and use it to store stuff or put up a relative or spread out some sandwiches to have the day of or something.

Then you can decide whether to pursue the friendship after the wedding.
  • Options
    bluebell42bluebell42 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    Okay, I'm confused. First you say you gave your bridesmaids the choice on what dress to pick: "Just after the first of the year, I told them what color/length dress and type of shoes to wear, but I did not pick a specific one- I wanted them to choose what would be in their budget, and flattering on their respective figures." But then later you imply that E needs to buy her dress from a specific shop, which should not be the case if you're allowing them to choose their own dresses based on their budgets. If you're expecting her to buy from one shop, every dress in that shop might be out of her budget. I've actually been in a similar situation before -- I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where the bride initially said she wanted us to pick out our own dresses in shades of one color, but everything else could be up to us. I was thrilled, because I was living on a very tight budget and was already having to save up to travel to the wedding (it was across the country). But then about six months before the wedding, the bride changed her mind and decided she wanted us all in matching, floor-length gowns from a specific company. She did not ask our budgets, and I ended up in a dress that was almost $500 after alterations. I was pissed. If it hadn't been a family member, I would have dropped out of the wedding immediately. It definitely affected my relationship with her, as I felt she was being incredibly insensitive. It sounds to me like E initially agreed to be a bridesmaid thinking that the dress would be in her budget because she got to choose it herself, and when you changed what you wanted, she felt awkward and didn't want to tell you. She's already indicated that money is tight, and you're hounding her relentlessly. If you're requiring your bridesmaids to buy a specific dress OR from a specific shop, you should have asked each one privately what her budget was before choosing the dress and/or the shop. If you didn't do so, this situation is on you. If that's the case, I'd write your friend a very sincere apology (you may need to mail this, as she is clearly not interested in reading your texts or answering your calls) and express to her that you value her friendship much more than a particular dress. And then tell her that she can buy a dress from any shop, as all you care about is having her stand next to you in your wedding. ETA: I swear there were line breaks...
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to continue to be friends with someone who fundamentally fails to communicate like an adult on so many counts. It is beyond rude and immature of her to be telling your mutual friends that she'd rather go to a different wedding than be in yours (though this statement does make me question your motives for asking her to be in your wedding- it strikes me as odd that you would ask someone to stand up for you who would be so ambivalent about the idea of not even being at your wedding, so either you thought you were way closer with this woman than she thought you were or you asked a friend you really shouldn't have just to have even sides) when she refuses to even talk to you about any of this stuff, despite you giving her an out. I would drop it completely and count myself lucky if I never heard from her again.  
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I appreciate all the responses. Just to clarify a few things...No, I have not changed what I wanted them to wear. That has stayed the same since the beginning. Yes, I talked to them about their budgets. When I first asked them all whether they would be willing to participate (and I traveled around and talked to them all individually), I told them what I was thinking about as far as dresses, and whether that seemed reasonable. They all said yes. We are having a very laid back type wedding- my own knee-length dress was $150. The dresses they can choose from range from $50-$150, which is what I told them, but there have been sales in which they can get them for even less than that. I did not want to have a high priced wedding. I made sure to check their budgets because their situations are all different. One is a single mom of two. One is expecting her second child with her husband. My MOH owns her own restaurant and pours all her income back into it. One has major student loans. E has been trying to go back to school and take classes. After they all said they could/would be part of it for me, I made the Facebook group and 'officially' confirmed what I had already discussed with them: I said what color, length, and store, and what shoe.No,  I have not been stalking, hounding, or harassing her. She and I have maybe only had three direct conversations about the wedding in the past year. The rest has been passing discussions on the FB group, or that she has had with other bridesmaids that I have been told about. Yes, I am asking them to get their dresses from a certain shop, but the purpose of that is color consistency. It doesn't really matter if she gets it from somewhere other than there, if the budget is a problem, but I am extremely annoyed that she waited until the last moment to do it. It's the principle of it. She is very independent so when she told me she would go by herself, I thought nothing of it. It was not until I went in the shop a couple weeks ago that I realized she hadn't been yet. For an independent person, E is very touchy about feeling left out. I know she does not want to go with the other girls, and that's fine, she just wants to feel welcome to go with them.  And yes, like I said, she was clearly not the best choice, but we have been friends a long time, and I never anticipated that she would react this way.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Also, to respond to some of the red questions I didn't get in my previous reply...The length of time it took me to ask them all was about two months. I had to travel around, as some of them live in different areas of the state. In January I posted the 'official' version of what I was asking them to wear- but I had already talked to them each about it. Most of the "asking" happened in the same fifteen minute span, earlier this week. E is the last one. The second to last one got her dress yesterday. Earlier, when E kept saying she would get it next time, next time...those were comments she posted in reply to things I had put in the group- nothing related or directed to her. My partner has two bridesmen in her party, husbands of two of her maids, and there has been a lot of discussion about what the guys are wearing, the girls own dresses they picked, as well as general wedding stuff. What am I supposed to think when she goes from commenting things like "I still need to get mine, I will do it next time I get paid," to this place she's at now.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Deleted because I answered before I finished reading your above response. Sorry!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It doesn't, really. Before I ever talked to any of them about it, I debated whether it would be easier to just tell them to get it anywhere. I decided to go with the one particular shop because I thought it would help them in the long run. Take some of the guess work out of it. I honestly debated with myself again later when one of my maids said she'd be 8 months pregnant by the time of the wedding, but she found something before I could discuss it with her. The part I care about is them all being there, until I was told she said she'd rather be elsewhere. I am just very miffed, because I thought everyone was on the same page. If she had come to me (or replied to me) and said "Hey, I'm going to get my dress somewhere else because my budget has changed, and I can find it cheaper somewhere else," I would have said "Okay, great." I would not care about that. Instead she's ignoring me. I felt like her animosity about it came out of left field- this is the first I'm hearing about this being a problem. Now I wonder whether she wants me to tell her not to come so that she will be free to go to the other wedding, even though I think she would be offended if I did. For the record, I'm not going to tell her that AT ALL. Just makes me wonder.
  • Options
    Ack. I should have just left my post because I see you saw it and responded before I had a chance to correct it. LOL I understand being upset at her. She is being kind of ridiculous, but seriously just stop worrying about it. Focus on the fun stuff and don't let these kinds of things stress you out. People can be weird sometimes.
  • Options
    I don't understand why you feel you needed to go to the store with her. She knows what she is supposed to pick out, she doesn't need you to hold her hand while she does it. Also, asking her to buy the dress from a specific store (and one that must be ordered) leads me to believe that you want her to choose a "bridesmaid" style dress. Perhaps that is part of the hesitation to spend the $. I'm sorry, but there aren't really any "bridesmaid" dresses that I would ever want to wear again. I hate having to spend money on crap that I will wear one time. Perhaps if you had simply stuck with the color and length parameters and allowed them to choose their dress from any store they wanted, she would be able to find something that she would like to wear on another occasion, and in her price range. I have never understood the concept of "honoring" your best friends by asking them to waste $ on something that will immediately end up in the Goodwill pile.

I understand that when you are paying for a wedding budgets are very tight, so helping this one out might not be an option for you, but if there is a way to do it, it might help. I am paying for one of my 6, because I know that it would financially burden her, & I knew from the get go that I didn't want her not to be able to participate because of money. I just factored that into my budget. I think it is perfectly OK to only pay for one. None of the other girls will ever know that I paid for her dress. It would be a dick move to tell any of the others that it would have been a hardship for her.

I told my bridesmaids "pink-ish" (I'm not going to get wound up about shades not matching). I don't really care what style or length, I just let them know that the wedding is in a field and the reception is in a barn, in case they didn't want to hassle with a long dress. A couple of them asked to see a picture of my dress before they chose. Mine happens to be knee length, so most of them have chosen shorter dresses. 3 of mine haven't bought their dresses yet, and my wedding is October 1st. I don't care if they buy it that week, as long as they show up in a dress.

Take a deep breath, and remember that it is just a dress, and if she bails the wedding will still go on as planned, and exactly zero people will remember that you had an uneven number of attendants on each side.

• Options
    Be warned, this advice is coming from my psych background, not from etiquette:

It sounds to me like the problem is less about the dress and more about how this woman is treating you, or possibly about the dynamics of the friendship overall. Is she lying to you (or are the rumors of her wanting to go to the other wedding false or overblown - was that what she told the other bride?)? Does she want to be your BM, or does she feel like she can't talk to you about a problem, or otherwise feels beholden to you to be a BM? Or is she just a flake who doesn't answer her phone and call people back, or a coward who can't admit when there's a problem?

Although it's true that your wedding is not as important to the people around you as it is to you, I personally wouldn't accept this kind of behavior - dodging calls, committing to do something in a week or two but never doing it, etc. - from a friend. I would generally figure out a way to ask them directly; although you stated that you'd rather avoid confrontation, assertive communication would probably help more than anything. In my experience, honest conversations tend to help more than ignoring behavior and allowing it to fester on both sides. 

When you do talk to her, if you do, I'd ask her point blank if something's wrong or if you've done something that's offended her. Don't make it about the dress - let that go, as PPs have said, and let her get a similar color at a department store or something if needed - but give her an out from the wedding again. See if there isn't something else going on, and work on improving the friendship from there. You'll probably come out of it with a stronger relationship as a result.

On the other hand, if she's still unwilling to talk to you or is clearly dishonest with you, I'd analyze the friendship. If she can't even give you the respect of saying "I can't afford this, I'm sorry" or otherwise responding to your calls, is she someone you want in your life? Is this a pattern in the entire friendship, or only as part of the wedding? If it's the latter, let it go - bad behavior happens sometimes, especially when it has to do with weddings. But if it's a pattern, this person may be a bit toxic, and you may want to start distancing yourself from her.
  • Options
    mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    I agree it seems like there are bigger issues here then not getting the dress in time (and ftr the rumour that she'd rather go to someone else's wedding is hurtful but you're hearing the info second-hand so it may be exaggerated), but if she doesn't want to communicate with you directly you're left with three options:

1. Keep asking her if she's getting the dress / coming to the wedding - This would be very stressful for both you & her and she still may not answer.
    2. Kick her out of the wedding - This includes an ultimatum like "If you don't order the dress by August ## don't bother coming" and it would make you look like a jerk.
    3. Do nothing - This leaves the ball in her court and either she bails (she looks like a jerk), she shows up in a random dress (whatever), or she shows up in an agreed-upon dress (hunky-dory).

Look at these possibilities and if there's something you absolutely could not live with, work to avoid it. But my suggestion is to drop everything.

The hotel issue is a bit tricky though, it sounds like you've already reserved a room for her? Are you paying for it? If the hotel has a date after which you'd incur a charge for cancelling, shoot off a message a few days before like "Please confirm whether or not you're staying at the hotel by October ##." And if she still doesn't reply take that as a 'not' and cancel or pass along your reservation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards