Not Engaged Yet

Books

Hey guys! I need some good book recommendations for my upcoming travels, please! 

I REALLY want something that I just can't put down. The kind that you stay up way too late because you have to know what happens next and you don't even regret it when your alarm goes off for work 4 hours later because it was that worth it. 

My favorite books are like suspense/mystery/twists, I'll read the occasional chick-lit type book. 

I'm willing to check out anything that's recommended and especially if it's cheap or I can download it for free.

(FYI: I've read and liked all 3 Gillian Flynn books, the 'popular' Liane Moriarty ones, 'The Girl on the Train', HP, HG, Divergent trilogy. Currently reading The Maze Runner and not sure that I like it, maybe a little to sci-fi for me, so far at least.)

Re: Books

• Sign up for book bub.  They send you an email with deals based on your reading preference.  Most of the books they have sent me are $1.99.  I signed up for a daily email. 
  • "13 Reasons Why" by Jay Asher
    "The Future of Us" by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
    "Inferno" by Dan Brown
    "Eleanor and Park" by Rainbow Rowell
    Anything by Francesca Lia Block {danger angels series is good}

quick read: "Rhymes with Witches" by Lauren Myracle (more high school idea but very short)

I'm sure I can find more if you want :)
  • You should definitely read The Circle by Dave Eggars like @AlPacina and I told you to already.

For an easy read, I really think "The Taming of the Queen" by Phillippa Gregory is going to be good. It comes out August 25th so you can pre-order it and have it ready on your Kindle when you 

• I just got into Ciji Ware.  I have burned through several of her books that are available on Amazon Unlimited.
  • 7 Deadly Wonders by Matthew Riley
    The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
  • "13 Reasons Why" by Jay Asher

I second this one. I read it a couple months ago in one sitting. 

The Raising by Laura Kasischke is good. It's a suspense, mystery book. I picked it up in the clearance section of a bookstore when I was on vacation and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

Outside by Shalini Boland is pretty good. You can get the Kindle version for free from Amazon. It's a post-apocalypse, mystery book.

I'm currently reading The Stand by Stephen King which I'm really loving. But it's been out for a long time and is one of his most famous books and I know you've read Stephen King so you might have read it already.

I'm sad you don't like The Maze Runner, I really loved it! It pretty much just gets more science-fictiony as the series goes on though.

• @bethsmiles did you get super absorbed into the book? I couldn't put it down even if I tried!
  • I recommend 11/22/63 by Stephen King, but I know you read a lot of Stephen King, and, in fact, you might have recommended that one to me.
  • @MissKittyDanger - I did! I was way more into it than I thought I would be in the beginning but I couldn't put it down! 

• I really love the Isaac Bell or Dirk Pitt Series by Clive Cussler. The last two Cussler's I read were from the Isaac Bell series, and I could not put them down. They are called The Wrecker and The Striker. But I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the books from those two series. 

• @speakeasy14 - I forgot about BookBub! I'll definitely look there for cheap/free books today. 

@MissKittyDanger - I've read '13 Reasons Why' (gave it 2 stars) and 'Inferno' (I love the Robert Langdon books but this was my least favorite). I'll check out the others. Thanks!

@labro - It's up first on my list of trip books :) I added 'The Taming of the Queen' to my to-read list. Apparently the only other one I haven't read is 'The Other Queen' so that's on the list now, too! I'd love to go back and re-read them all in order. PS - Goodreads is having a giveaway for 'The Taming of the Queen'!

@CocoBellaF - My Amazon Unlimited free trial ended today. I'm debating on whether or not I want to join and pay the monthly fee. Have you found enough good books to make it worth it? Especially with my commute now, I've been reading a LOT so something like that might be useful. I just worry that the books available are very limited.

@thespeshulestsnowflake - Those sound a bit too sci-fi for me but thank you!

@bethsmiles - 'The Raising' sounds really good! Looking to see if I can find it cheapish anywhere. I added 'Outside' to my list! I haven't read 'The Stand' yet. I've actually only read one book by Stephen King (11/22/63). I should read more of hi and I think I'll start with this one! I don't dislike 'The Maze Runner'. I'm pretty into it now, 72% done. Depending on how it ends I might need to get the rest of the series. Thank you for all of your suggestions! 

@KeptInStitches - I loved that book! It was long but I could not stop. 

@AuroraRose41 - Thank you! 

• @Swazzle - I still find lots of good books to read.  I'll keep it until I start slowing down, but I go through more than a couple books a month (sometimes I read 2 or 3 a week!) so it's worth it to me.
  • @swazzle, 11/22/63 was my airplane book for the flights out. I was surprised by how easy a read it was - usually books that long are kind of a slog, but this one flew by!
  • @swazzle No problem.

Though neither are really sci-fi. The City of Bones is more fantasy, part of it was based off a fan faction of HP. Seven Deadly Wonders is more Indiana Jonesian in nature; more historical, action/adventure fiction.
  • @Swazzle I'm not actually a Robert Langdon fan, but loved 'Inferno' and I have no idea why
    Curious on '13 reasons' for 2 stars
  • One Step Too Far (I CANNOT put this down)
    Reconstructing Amelia
    Crooked Little Lies
    The Good Neighbor (I just got this one free from Prime, and haven't read it yet, but it sounds great.)

I didn't like Inferno either. I love the other Robert Langdon books, but that one annoyed the shit out of me. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ooh keep reading maze runner. It's really good.

Another one might be Wayward Pines. They made it into a TV show after, and its really good.

Another non trilogy was 'The beautiful Land' by Alan Averill. It's kind of about alternate universes, but not like a superhero/sciency one. More suspenceful like divergent.  

• @bethsmiles, @teddygirl9 - I finished The Maze Runner! And immediately bought and started The Scorch Trials. I'm hooked! I keep wondering if I should stop reading it on my commute and save it for the plane but I need to know what happens!

@teddygirl9 - I watched Wayward Pines and really liked it so I definitely want to check out the books. Thanks!

• @swazzle I really enjoyed The Maze Runner series glad you are too.

Anniversary

• I may or may not be on Amazon right now looking to add some of these to my kindle 
  • @speakeasy14 - What kind of books do you like? Are you on GoodReads? Are we friends?

• @swazzle what is this good reads you speak of? I really don't have a specific genre, I'll read anything.  When I got my kindle I loaded it with a ton of free books, so trying to read all of them.  They're usually hit or miss though, so I'm stealing some of these recommendations so that I have good books along with the freebies. 
  • @speakeasy14 - You can make a list of already read-to read-currently reading books. Rate them when you're finished. Get book recs from them and your friends. Stuff like that. 

• @swazzle glad you liked the maze runner! I think they just get more addicting as it goes. There is also a prequel book (kill zone something or other) which I found difficult to get into after reading the others, but if you like the series you can look into that one too.

I LOVED wayward pines as the books (i read first). The TV show is a bit different, which is nice because the story will be slightly different.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards