Chit Chat

Touch of Death

edited August 2015 in Chit Chat
On our wedding website my fiance asked me to list things to do in the area where we're getting married, and in our town (about an hour away) since some people may actually stay in our town for a few days before the wedding then switch hotels closer to the day.  Okay, fine. 

We picked some of our favorite places and listed them... and then they started dropping like flies- ha ha!

We listed 2 restaurants in our town that have since closed (one moved to another town b/c of a bad rent deal w/ the city, and the other was supposed to move to a building just down the block from us but rumor has it they couldn't come to terms on a new lease- the owner had already opted out of the lease at the OLD place; they've got their equipment in someone's garage!). 

We listed a really fun store in our town that does awesome window decorations for all the holidays / seasons / etc; and it's a fun place to browse in.  The owner announced she's retiring in September.  We listed our favorite bookstore, and they'll be closed during people's visit b/c they're moving to the vacated location of aforementioned store.  I mean, at least she's not completely going out of business, but SHEESH!

Anyone else have weird stories like this?

Re: Touch of Death

• HA! Maybe you should list a bunch of places you DON'T like, and they'll mysteriously close. You are clearly cursed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • HA! Maybe you should list a bunch of places you DON'T like, and they'll mysteriously close. You are clearly cursed.

I said that too!
  • My sister had Sam's Club memberships with three people who have since died. She is no longer allowed to go to Sam's.

I went to a concert at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway this summer and warned everyone that the last two people I went there with had died. So far, so good on that.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We had a hotel disappear on us for our wedding. We booked a block there as well as our own rooms and WP rooms and my parents booked a room. We printed it on all our accommodation cards and listed it on our website. 

Then a few months before the wedding a guest tried to call and the number was disconnected. Their website was gone, couldn't find them on hotels.com, nothing. They were just gone. 

My dad had the cell phone of the sales manager from booking the block or something like that so he was able to track her down and find out that the hotel had been bought by someone else and was shut down for renovations. 

Luckily invites hadn't gone out yet, so we booked a block at a different place, reprinted the accommodations cards, and then the WP ended up renting a beach house, and H and I rented another beach house, and then his family rented yet another beach house. We figured that way we'd at least all have a place to sleep lol (it was out of town for all of us). 

It was a bit stressful for a while but it all worked out. It was just weird, though. I've never experienced a hotel spontaneously shutting down with no warning. (Like we had just booked the block a couple months before that and there was no word on the hotel potentially being bought and closing) 
  • We had a hotel disappear on us for our wedding. We booked a block there as well as our own rooms and WP rooms and my parents booked a room. We printed it on all our accommodation cards and listed it on our website. 

Then a few months before the wedding a guest tried to call and the number was disconnected. Their website was gone, couldn't find them on hotels.com, nothing. They were just gone. 

My dad had the cell phone of the sales manager from booking the block or something like that so he was able to track her down and find out that the hotel had been bought by someone else and was shut down for renovations. 

Luckily invites hadn't gone out yet, so we booked a block at a different place, reprinted the accommodations cards, and then the WP ended up renting a beach house, and H and I rented another beach house, and then his family rented yet another beach house. We figured that way we'd at least all have a place to sleep lol (it was out of town for all of us). 

It was a bit stressful for a while but it all worked out. It was just weird, though. I've never experienced a hotel spontaneously shutting down with no warning. (Like we had just booked the block a couple months before that and there was no word on the hotel potentially being bought and closing) 
    That's super strange that they didn't notify you either!  Just up and closed.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I have the touch of death to employers in my town. Literally every place I have worked previously in this town don't exist anymore. From national chain hotels to ice cream shops, they all closed. Not bought out by a different company, just gone. The buildings sit vacant. This all happened years before the great recession too.

It followed me to my current company too. We do customer service for various major telecom companies. Projects that we have handled for 15 years closed 6-9 months after I transfered to them. My company has been in business for over 75 years, so luckily my curse hasn't taken down the company as a whole yet. The entire company would have to close before my current job would go away, so I feel more secure now.

That's super strange that they didn't notify you either!  Just up and closed.
    Yeah, not even a phone call. Nothing. And the sales manager told my dad that there had been another wedding block there for the same weekend as me, so I kept wondering if the other bride knew or how she would find out and what she would do about it. How do you not at least call the people who already have reservations to let them know?! 
  • We've visited a few countries in the past that are now having issues, whether with financials, revolutions, war, riots, etc.  First Greece, Egypt, then Turkey and now Russia (with their problems with Ukraine and such).  I think when the riots in Turkey popped up we both commented that we've taken down another country by visiting it.  

• I'm not allowed to buy jerseys for myself with player names on them for teams and players we like and root for.  After I bought my first football jersey, the player on it retired... and went out in a blaze of critical, jerky, anti-team statements.  My "replacement" jersey/guy then had a series of injuries and a non-football injury that resulted in him not being on the team anymore or even playing anymore.  DH won't let me consider a third player specific jersey for football and asked me (nicely!) not to ever get one for our baseball team or his basketball team.  It's strictly team logo tshirts for me from here on out, though I do have a personalized football jersey that seems less cursed.
    Anniversary

• JaxInBlue said:
    I'm not allowed to buy jerseys for myself with player names on them for teams and players we like and root for.  After I bought my first football jersey, the player on it retired... and went out in a blaze of critical, jerky, anti-team statements.  My "replacement" jersey/guy then had a series of injuries and a non-football injury that resulted in him not being on the team anymore or even playing anymore.  DH won't let me consider a third player specific jersey for football and asked me (nicely!) not to ever get one for our baseball team or his basketball team.  It's strictly team logo tshirts for me from here on out, though I do have a personalized football jersey that seems less cursed.
    Yeah, DH is convinced that I'm the reason his football team (Tennessee Titans) sucks.  They were in the playoffs the year before we met each other (when I started rooting for his team with him)... they've been horrible ever since then. Also, each player jersey I've bought, the player was gone before the end of one season.  I even had one that got unexpectedly traded before the season even started, so I never even got to wear the jersey. So, this year I got a generic jersey with "00" and "Titans" on it, instead of a specific player, so it should last me longer than a year. Although, knowing my luck, they will shut down or move the team now.

• JaxInBlue said:
    I'm not allowed to buy jerseys for myself with player names on them for teams and players we like and root for.  After I bought my first football jersey, the player on it retired... and went out in a blaze of critical, jerky, anti-team statements.  My "replacement" jersey/guy then had a series of injuries and a non-football injury that resulted in him not being on the team anymore or even playing anymore.  DH won't let me consider a third player specific jersey for football and asked me (nicely!) not to ever get one for our baseball team or his basketball team.  It's strictly team logo tshirts for me from here on out, though I do have a personalized football jersey that seems less cursed.
    See, that's why I am hesitant to buy a jersey at all - I almost bought a Nick Batum (Portland Trail Blazers) jersey, then changed my mind and wanted a Wes Matthews jersey. Glad I didn't do it, though, since both of them, and two of our other starters, all got traded this year.

If I buy a Seahawks jersey with a player name, I guess it would be Russell Wilson, since he just signed a 5-year contract. But with my luck, he would get injured right after I buy it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited August 2015

JaxInBlue said:

See, that's why I am hesitant to buy a jersey at all - I almost bought a Nick Batum (Portland Trail Blazers) jersey, then changed my mind and wanted a Wes Matthews jersey. Glad I didn't do it, though, since both of them, and two of our other starters, all got traded this year.

If I buy a Seahawks jersey with a player name, I guess it would be Russell Wilson, since he just signed a 5-year contract. But with my luck, he would get injured right after I buy it.

*boxes???*

Same for me- no jersey / hockey sweaters unless they are generic. I wanted a Sharpe sweater so bad- so glad I didn't pull the trigger.
  • FeeleyToBe After not being able to decide which Seahawk to represent, I bought a sweatshirt that just has the Seahawks logo on it.  But I did forget one last option for me, jersey-wise: the Seahawks have a #12 jersey, but no #12 on the team. Centurylink field is "The Home of the 12th Man" (well technically it's the Home of the 12s now, because they don't want to pay Texas A&M to use their trademarked "12th Man" slogan anymore). Team members are not allowed to choose 12 as their number, since it's the fans' number. So I could do that, I guess.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When daughter and I saw the venue, we were enchanted.  It was within our budget and had everything she was hoping for.  The manager gave us a long interview and prices.  Then she told us she had an appointment, and we could get back to her about the plans.
    The manager walked out of the club and never returned.  I was frantic, trying to reach someone because I had to fly back to Colorado in a few days .  Nobody would tell us the truth.  Finally, I got through to someone who promised to honor the agreement.  It took a week. 
    They hired a new manager, and she did a fabulous job on daughter's wedding reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Staying on the sports theme.  Any Chicago Blackhawk's game.  I went to 3 last year and they lost all 3 (yet won the cup?).  I'm trying again next year, but if they lose that one I may have to put a kibosh on all games.  I'm bad luck for them. 

• Staying on the sports theme.  Any Chicago Blackhawk's game.  I went to 3 last year and they lost all 3 (yet won the cup?).  I'm trying again next year, but if they lose that one I may have to put a kibosh on all games.  I'm bad luck for them. 
    That was me during the playoffs last year. Went to three playoff games and they lost them all. My sister went downtown on the day they won (didn't have tickets though) and I was not allowed to go. Luckily my circle believes that bad luck doesn't carry through to the next year. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    The opposite was for me... whenever I'd go to an Avs game without FI, they would win.  He started calling me his "little good luck charm" for awhile there.
    Married 9.12.15
  • edited August 2015
    Staying on the sports theme.  Any Chicago Blackhawk's game.  I went to 3 last year and they lost all 3 (yet won the cup?).  I'm trying again next year, but if they lose that one I may have to put a kibosh on all games.  I'm bad luck for them. 
    I went to my first ever Hawks game last year.  They lost.  It was the one where Crawford literally watched a slow moving puck go right under his stick and into the net.  Ugh.

ETA:  Ironically, I think they were playing @Julieanne912 's team, the Avs.
  • Watching them in an official NHL team bar is JUST as fun.  And when I say "fun" I really mean "cheaper".

• Watching them in an official NHL team bar is JUST as fun.  And when I say "fun" I really mean "cheaper".
    Yeah, I enjoy sports but I'm just not usually willing to pay much to see them live.  I got my tickets through a work event so they were about $35 each and we sat in the upper-most deck.  It was fun, but I don't know if I'd pay full price for a seat that high.
  • I'm totally ok with all the Seahawks fans buying personalized jerseys and jinxing the games when they go in person .. 49ers fan here ha ha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards