Chit Chat
Options

WWTKD? Something special for SIL

Hi all!  I'm looking for ideas for something special to do for my SIL and her FI.  DH and I are going to miss their wedding because we're expecting and due, because Mother Nature's fun like that, the same day as their wedding.  We're OOT from the wedding and the timing means we can't travel.  I'd like to do a little something for them in the week ahead of their wedding to let them know we're thinking of them.  It's the first family wedding DH and I will have missed in the 10 years we've been together.

I was thinking about doing something like an edible arrangement or snack basket.  If I do something, I'd like for it to be something I can pre-arrange in the next few weeks, before I reach the any-day-now point, but I'm not necessarily looking for something that is wedding themed.  I'd appreciate suggestions or thoughts - or to know if this would be one more thing for them to deal with in a potentially busier week.  TIA!
Anniversary

Re: WWTKD? Something special for SIL

• Options
    I often send flowers in the wedding colors/style if I know what that is.
  • Options
    That sounds really nice! My suggestion would be (if you do food) to do something that would keep. That way they can enjoy it anytime without having to worry about it around the time of the wedding.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Is there someone close to them that can do some delivering for you?

I've had my mother deliver flowers and a bottle of their favorite wine to someones house before.
  • Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    SIL gave H and I a gift certificate for a couples massage leading up to our wedding (she knew which spa I liked that's in the town we both live in)

She said her thought was that we could use it to get rid of that pre-wedding stress. It was such an amazing gift, and so appreciated! It gave us a chance to take a time out and get pampered and just relax. 

However, to be honest, we ended up using it when we got back from Italy to kind of extend our honeymoon a bit. It was still awesome, though. After all that time sitting on a plane it felt great to get the knots out of my back. 

ETF word fail 
  • Options
    Thanks, all!  I'll do some sleuthing to see what local options are available/they like.  I'm not really familiar with where they live and we don't have other family there so it may be a bit challenging but that's what Google is for!
    Anniversary

• Options
    lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2015
    Maybe do like a date night box that you could ship. 

An easy one would be an italian themed one b/c you could put in spaghetti sauce, pasta, and a nice bottle of wine (thought I think you might not be allowed to technically ship wine but say it's pickels or something if they ask you). Those are all things you could get now and they'll be fine in a few weeks. 

Or you could do like a movie themed one, dvd or blu-ray, popcorn bag, candies. 

Or maybe just a gift certificate to a nice restaurant in their area so they can go out.

Or a gift certificate to a local activity place like bowling, go-carts, ice-skating, roller skating, etc...

That's very sweet of you to want to do something for them. We knew my FI sister and her husband were TTC and were joking that they'd prob be due during our wedding but turns out it's a month before! So exciting! Congrats on your soon to be baby as well. 

EDIT: forgot a couple key words
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015

I'd probably stay away from flowers, SIL will be probably having some for the wedding, then she may have too many flowers in her house afterwards.  I know that some of my BMs didn't take their bouquets after the wedding (they were our sweetheart table decorations), I encouraged them to take them, but they didn't.  So I went home with a bunch of bouquets I ended up putting around the house.

I think the edible arrangement would be nice.  It would be something good that can be snacked on throughout the week.  The spa gift card is a great idea too, if you think SIL's FI would be into that kind of thing, I know my H wouldn't use his half.

• Options
    Normally a lurker, but I thought I'd share an idea on this one:)

For my friend's first anniversary they took a long weekend trip.  So I asked her husband which hotel they were staying at, and had a fruit and snacks basket sent straight to the hotel to be in the room when they arrived.  We kept it a surprise for my friend and she loved it.

If they're doing a honeymoon soon after, that might be a fun idea, and then you don't have to worry about if they'll be able to use it the week before the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards