Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

To harlem shake or not?

My fiance and I really love the Harlem Shake flash mob idea somewhere during our wedding day festivities.  He and I are considering just playing it during the reception because my dad even said, "Isn't that a little dated?"  So my question to the knot community is should we do a surprise Harlem Shake or should we just accept that it is too old now and everyone will hate it? 

Re: To harlem shake or not?

• My fiance and I really love the Harlem Shake flash mob idea somewhere during our wedding day festivities.  He and I are considering just playing it during the reception because my dad even said, "Isn't that a little dated?"  So my question to the knot community is should we do a surprise Harlem Shake or should we just accept that it is too old now and everyone will hate it? 
    Everyone will probably hate it. 
  • People still do that?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I guess it depends on how "old" you're willing to go.  But, it's an internet meme.  So, basically, those are popular for like a few weeks and then die.

Personally, I had to look it up to remind myself what it was again.  I watched about 15 videos.  I didn't think it was all that funny or amusing, which is why it didn't stick in my head the first time, I guess.
  • I've always hated the harlem shake...if I was attending a wedding and I heard it come on at any time during the reception I would pick up my stuff and leave right there and then. It wasn't ever even funny and I'm kind of hoping that the world just forgets that it ever happened.

That being said, if you and your future husband have your heart set on it, go for it. Just don't be too surprised if you get a lot of eye rolls and blank stares.

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    Only if you also do the macarena and electric slide.

This has been done and a fad that has died a death. Don't resurrect it. No one will be happy to sit through watching other people do a choreographed dance to an old song. 

Flash mobs are annoying and the harlem shake isn't a song that is likely to get anyone else involved who wasn't conscripted into doing this for  you. 
  • donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    Yes - go for it!  Call it old school.  Call it throw back.  Call it cheesy - but own that cheese, make it a fun little moment.  Why not?  

It's not choreography.... it's a few seconds of one person dancing (if OP is to recreate the original Harlem Shakes) and then a few seconds of everyone having fun.  

I don't understand why this would be anything other than a tiny little piece of fun for the bride and groom ... and guests.  :-)  

#lightenup
  • Our DJ played Gangnam Style, and a few people did the choreography to it - but it wasn't a 'thing'.  They were just dancing to it - just like the people in the next circle who were dancing but not doing the choreography. 

I wouldn't care if you played the Harlem Shake music, but I would roll my eyes if you made a spectacle out of it.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I've always hated the harlem shake...if I was attending a wedding and I heard it come on at any time during the reception I would pick up my stuff and leave right there and then. It wasn't ever even funny and I'm kind of hoping that the world just forgets that it ever happened.

That being said, if you and your future husband have your heart set on it, go for it. Just don't be too surprised if you get a lot of eye rolls and blank stares.

You would walk out on a reception if they did a Harlem Shake? That seems unnecessarily dramatic.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Our DJ played Gangnam Style, and a few people did the choreography to it - but it wasn't a 'thing'.  They were just dancing to it - just like the people in the next circle who were dancing but not doing the choreography. 

I wouldn't care if you played the Harlem Shake music, but I would roll my eyes if you made a spectacle out of it.

I think this sums it up pretty well. If you want, play the music and see what happens, but don't make a big, staged ahead of time thing of it. It's more fun when things like that just happen naturally.
  • I wouldn't quite know what to do for the Harlem Shake.  But I agree w/ others, you could probably just play the song and see what happens... but don't try to make it a filmable flash mob.
    Married 9.12.15
  • It's so dated, and considering that for most (white) people doing the Harlem Shake means "flailing around arrhythmically" it's not really timeless either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards