Attire & Accessories Forum

Seeking suit advice...

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right place!

I am getting married in 15 days. My FI is in charge of finding/deciding on suits for himself and his groomsmen, and he has yet to make a decision. I haven't pushed him about this but I'm pretty sure now is the time for pushing lol.

We've weighed our options, and with our limited amount of time I was thinking it might be a good idea to buy a suit from Kohls. They are cheap and they'll be shipped quickly. This is not really ideal in my opinion, but I don't know what else to do. 

So my question is, is this a terrible idea? Does anyone have experience with Kohl's suits? Do you think there are other options for us?

Thank you for any help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Seeking suit advice...

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I don't have any experience with Kohl's, but I do with JC Penney.  They make really nice suits for affordable prices, and have lots of size options.  We aren't doing suits, but we bought FI and his BM's vests, shirts, and ties from JC Penney.  Total cost for all of it was under $200.  

I would think your other option is to do rental suits from somewhere like Men's Wearhouse.
    Married 9.12.15

• I don't have any experience with Kohl's, but I do with JC Penney.  They make really nice suits for affordable prices, and have lots of size options.  We aren't doing suits, but we bought FI and his BM's vests, shirts, and ties from JC Penney.  Total cost for all of it was under $200.  

I would think your other option is to do rental suits from somewhere like Men's Wearhouse.
    We went with JC Penney as well. We are not doing suits either, just vests, a button up shirt, tie, and suit pants. They had an excellent selection for really good prices. All FI's groomsmen are happy with this choice.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2015
    My husband and my son both own a Kohl's suit.  They don't wear them often, so they are fine.  DH is retired.  They have them for funerals, weddings and (for son) job interviews.
    If someone were buying a suit to be worn to work often, I would suggest a higher priced suit, but for occasionally wear, Kohl's is fine.  Ditto J. C. Penney's.
    I would also check Men's Wearhouse for sales.
    A jacket and pants is all that is needed.  Vests are an optional accessory, and not a substitute for the jacket.  White shirts and a nice tie completes the look.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you all for your help! We're hoping to have them buy instead of rent, since where we live the cost of renting a suit and buying a cheap suit are very similar. JC Penney's sounds like a good idea, and I'll keep looking at Kohl's as well.

I feel sort of bad because I know at least one of the groomsmen was hoping to buy a really good quality gray suit for the wedding, but then we also have guys who are on a strict budget. Seems like this is our best option (besides letting them wear their own suit, which FI doesn't want).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited August 2015
    Thank you all for your help! We're hoping to have them buy instead of rent, since where we live the cost of renting a suit and buying a cheap suit are very similar. JC Penney's sounds like a good idea, and I'll keep looking at Kohl's as well.

I feel sort of bad because I know at least one of the groomsmen was hoping to buy a really good quality gray suit for the wedding, but then we also have guys who are on a strict budget. Seems like this is our best option (besides letting them wear their own suit, which FI doesn't want).
    The groomsmen do not have to wear matching suits! If the others are wearing a gray suit, then your groomsman can buy a gray suit that is as nice as he wishes.  It will look fine.  As long as they are all wearing suits, it is perfectly proper!  I think you are being too nit-picky.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Thank you all for your help! We're hoping to have them buy instead of rent, since where we live the cost of renting a suit and buying a cheap suit are very similar. JC Penney's sounds like a good idea, and I'll keep looking at Kohl's as well.

The groomsmen do not have to wear matching suits! If the others are wearing a gray suit, then your groomsman can buy a gray suit that is as nice as he wishes.  It will look fine.  As long as they are all wearing suits, it is perfectly proper!  I think you are being too nit-picky.
    ----box-----

Haha, actually it's my FI who doesn't like the idea of them wearing different suits. My bridesmaids are wearing whatever coral dresses they want, so I suggested that the groomsmen wear their own suits, or all buy different gray suits, but FI isn't into it. It's one of the only things he feels strongly about.

All is well though, this weekend we found a really sharp looking 100% wool suit at Macy's for $200. Within everyone's budget and looks great :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think @novella had her guys all wear gray suits of their choosing and it looked nice.  Novella, maybe post a pic that OP can show her FI?
    Married 9.12.15
  • I think @novella had her guys all wear gray suits of their choosing and it looked nice.  Novella, maybe post a pic that OP can show her FI?
    I saw @novella's pictures and loved how it looked! Believe it or not, I actually already creepily showed my FI those pics to try to convince him... but he was not having it. Eh, you win some, you lose some ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We used Boscovs, paid $120 for each, and the quality was great.  Not much experience with Kohls, but I had an ex who really liked their suits.  I would imagine they are of a similar quality to Boscovs and JC Penney.
  • OMG!  A groomzilla!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

OMG!  A groomzilla!

I don't think this is fair at all... We never call brides who prefer to have their BMs in the same dress a bridezilla... It's her FI's personal preference to have them all in the same suit. If they are sticking with everyone's budget and finding a good option, how is that being a "groomzilla"?
  • It is the first time I have ever heard of any groom insisting that his men all wear identical suits.  This is very, very unusual!  Identical ties, yes, but suits?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • H did JCP - I suggested kohls but he said JCP had better quality shits. His was like $125 and they had cheaper ones too as long as a sale is going on 2 weeks away though it might be you get what you get, especially if some GMs already own a suit might be better that way
  • kvruns said:
    H did JCP - I suggested kohls but he said JCP had better quality shits. His was like $125 and they had cheaper ones too as long as a sale is going on 2 weeks away though it might be you get what you get, especially if some GMs already own a suit might be better that way
    I know this is not what you meant to type but I'm really glad it happened. 
  • justsie said:
    kvruns said:
    H did JCP - I suggested kohls but he said JCP had better quality shits. His was like $125 and they had cheaper ones too as long as a sale is going on 2 weeks away though it might be you get what you get, especially if some GMs already own a suit might be better that way
    Yep. Giggling outloud almost uncontrollably in my cube right now.

• CMGragain said:
    OMG!  A groomzilla!
    Hahaha. He's totally chill in real life, don't worry.

CMGragain said:
    It is the first time I have ever heard of any groom insisting that his men all wear identical suits.  This is very, very unusual!  Identical ties, yes, but suits?
    That's really interesting, I actually thought that matching suits were the norm. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • justsie said:
    kvruns said:
    Yep. Giggling outloud almost uncontrollably in my cube right now.
    This is a way more entertaining topic of conversation. From now on this thread is about shit quality
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards