Wedding Party

Bridesmaid in a suit???

My fiance and I are going to have two people of each gender on either side of the aisle, (so I'll have two girls and two guys, and so will he), because it just worked out that he has two close female friends and I have two close male cousins. We're hoping for a non-traditional wedding with a nod to tradition, so this is perfect for us. 

We also decided that I would have the say on what the ladies wear.  I had planned on putting them all in matching navy blue dresses, but decided that for their pocketbooks' and my sanity's sake that I'll just let them all chose their own dress as long as it's dark blue or navy and floor length.  The guys will all be in matching grey suits.  

One of my fiance's female attendants would prefer to wear a pantsuit to a dress.  I want her to be comfortable, and I'm non-traditional enough that I'm considering letting her do it.  I'm totally okay with a non-perfectly-matching bridal party as long as all the colors and everything work alright together, but I'm worried that having five people in suits and three people in dresses would make it look funny.  

So my question:  do you all think it would look okay to have her in a navy blue women's pant suit to match the rest of the ladies' navy dresses?  She would still walk down the aisle arm-in-arm with a man in a grey suit.  

Thanks!!  

And PS, she's totally willing to wear the dress, but I'm a lot more worried about everyone having a good time than I am about exactly what everyone is wearing.  The more casual and fun my wedding is, the better.  :)   And my photographer is amazing so she'll make the photos look great no matter what!!! 

Re: Bridesmaid in a suit???

• overthinking.  She will look great.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yes, it will be fine.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Absolutely pant suit.

I would probably say navy suit to match the other ladies rather than grey to match the men, or do as PP suggested and have everyone on groom's side in grey and bride's side in navy. 
  • cwatne said:
    My fiance and I are going to have two people of each gender on either side of the aisle, (so I'll have two girls and two guys, and so will he), because it just worked out that he has two close female friends and I have two close male cousins. We're hoping for a non-traditional wedding with a nod to tradition, so this is perfect for us. 

We also decided that I would have the say on what the ladies wear.  I had planned on putting them all in matching navy blue dresses, but decided that for their pocketbooks' and my sanity's sake that I'll just let them all chose their own dress as long as it's dark blue or navy and floor length.  The guys will all be in matching grey suits.  

One of my fiance's female attendants would prefer to wear a pantsuit to a dress.  I want her to be comfortable, and I'm non-traditional enough that I'm considering letting her do it.  I'm totally okay with a non-perfectly-matching bridal party as long as all the colors and everything work alright together, but I'm worried that having five people in suits and three people in dresses would make it look funny.  

So my question:  do you all think it would look okay to have her in a navy blue women's pant suit to match the rest of the ladies' navy dresses?  She would still walk down the aisle arm-in-arm with a man in a grey suit.  

Thanks!!  

And PS, she's totally willing to wear the dress, but I'm a lot more worried about everyone having a good time than I am about exactly what everyone is wearing.  The more casual and fun my wedding is, the better.  :)   And my photographer is amazing so she'll make the photos look great no matter what!!! 
    If the bolded statement is true then you've answered your own question. Let her wear pants. 
  • Absolutely pant suit.

I would probably say navy suit to match the other ladies rather than grey to match the men, or do as PP suggested and have everyone on groom's side in grey and bride's side in navy. 
    I was going to suggest exactly this.  
  • Casadena said:
    Absolutely pant suit.

I was going to suggest exactly this.  
    Or just tell them, "Gray and/or Navy, whatever you like.  Gray suit with a navy blouse, navy dress, gray dress with navy belt, gray suit with sassy navy shoes, gray dress with navy lace overlay; whatever you like."  Who cares their gender or whose side they're standing on?  If you're being easy, be truly easy.
  • edited August 2015

Another option for them instead of a traditional suit (unless that is what they want) would be a formal pants outfit. I think this style tends to be advertised more as mother of the bride wear, but I think it gives the women an option of the comfort of pants, but dressier then a regular business suit. And I agree with PP, that have everyone one your side, no matter gener in navy blue & everyone on his side in gray no matter the gender. I think it helps to better identify whose side they are on and will also make more sense to the guests. The photos when they are paired up, will look awesome!!!

http://www.dhgate.com/product/actual-picture-elegent-mother-of-the-bride/195053570.html#s1-4-1a|226699525

• LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    I asked my SIL (then-FSIL) to be a bridesmaid, and then when her mother pulled funding from her, she asked if she could wear her military dress uniform because she suddenly couldn't afford the dress. (She was in military college)

I had wedding-brain and said no. I was being an idiot, and it's one of my biggest regrets from my wedding.

I think the bridesmaid in a suit would be awesome.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards