Wedding Etiquette Forum

Rehearsal dinner plus ones

We are obviously inviting SOs of the wedding party to the rehearsal dinner but what about plus ones (not SOs)? For example one of my bridesmaid's boyfriend cannot make the wedding so she asked me if it was okay to invite her friend to the wedding instead, which I said was more than fine. Does this friend also need to be invited to the rehearsal dinner? Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Rehearsal dinner plus ones

• peachy13 said:
    We are obviously inviting SOs of the wedding party to the rehearsal dinner but what about plus ones (not SOs)? For example one of my bridesmaid's boyfriend cannot make the wedding so she asked me if it was okay to invite her friend to the wedding instead, which I said was more than fine. Does this friend also need to be invited to the rehearsal dinner? Thanks!
    IMO, no.

• Are they from out of town? Although not strictly necessary, if this BM is bringing a friend for a long trip to stay over for the weekend, it would be a nice gesture to invite them to the RD, particularly if that friend doesn't know anyone else in the area.

But otherwise? No, I wouldn't.
  • I wouldn't think so, since they aren't a social unit obviously. If you could afford it, it would be a nice gesture, but not really a necessary one.
  • If they are coming from OOT, then I would say yes.  If they are local, then I say no.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree. If they are just going to be sitting in a hotel room, then yes, it is nice to invite them. But if it is a local friend, then not necessary. 
  • OOT yes, local no.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ditto the others.   If this is a traveling companion then yes.   If it's a local buddy it's not necessary. 
  • Yep, I agree with PP's.  If it is an OOT guest then I would be polite and invite them, if local then I dont think it is necessary.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    peachy13 said:
    I don't think it's necessary and I myself wouldn't unless the friend is an out-of-towner who is traveling to your area with the wedding party member in question.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agree with the above. Not required (because it is a separate event from the wedding day), but nice gesture if the friend is coming from OOT.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards