Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Am I being crazy?

Out of three photographer we contacted, the one who is least expensive (aka $2k less than the most expensive), took about 10 days to respond to the initial inquiry. This made me suspicious about her reliability, because she continued to post online during this time. BUT our friends used her for their wedding and they did not have any problems. I'm concerned about the whole "you get what you pay for" adage being true in this scenario. So, am I being crazy? Is 10 days really not that big of a deal?

Am I being crazy? 17 votes

Yeah, you're being crazy.
29% 5 votes
No, I'd pass on her.
70% 12 votes

Re: Am I being crazy?

• What kind of things was she posting online?  Did it seem like she was on vacation?  Or maybe working a lot?  Sometimes emails can get lost in the shuffle and she have realized she missed yours and responded later then she wanted (happens to everyone now and then).

I would talk to your friends who used her before.  See what kind of time between communication they had with her.  Ten days, to me, seems pretty long especially when it comes to email.

You could always write her back to ask her additional questions and see how long it takes her to respond.  If she answers right back then the first time may have just been a fluke, but if she takes long again I would trust your gut and pass.

• What kind of things was she posting online?  Did it seem like she was on vacation?  Or maybe working a lot?  Sometimes emails can get lost in the shuffle and she have realized she missed yours and responded later then she wanted (happens to everyone now and then).

I would talk to your friends who used her before.  See what kind of time between communication they had with her.  Ten days, to me, seems pretty long especially when it comes to email.

You could always write her back to ask her additional questions and see how long it takes her to respond.  If she answers right back then the first time may have just been a fluke, but if she takes long again I would trust your gut and pass.
    Good idea. FI did just email back asking to set up a time to speak over the phone, so we will see how long it takes to hear from her. She was traveling for work, but posting pictures from her travels on her professional instagram and whatnot. FI was being a total creeper and looking, because after about 4 days we were kinda surprised we didn't hear back. What really rubbed me the wrong way was that we didn't even ask for any nitty gritty details, all we wanted to know was if she was available on our date! 
  • abcdevonn said:
    What kind of things was she posting online?  Did it seem like she was on vacation?  Or maybe working a lot?  Sometimes emails can get lost in the shuffle and she have realized she missed yours and responded later then she wanted (happens to everyone now and then).

Good idea. FI did just email back asking to set up a time to speak over the phone, so we will see how long it takes to hear from her. She was traveling for work, but posting pictures from her travels on her professional instagram and whatnot. FI was being a total creeper and looking, because after about 4 days we were kinda surprised we didn't hear back. What really rubbed me the wrong way was that we didn't even ask for any nitty gritty details, all we wanted to know was if she was available on our date! 
    Agree with Maggie and regarding the bolded - see how long it takes to get a response to this one.  I tend to give the benefit of the doubt during busy season since wedding photographers are usually pretty non-stop in the summer.  I would definitely have a bad feeling if this was happening in February.

After the 2nd email if you don't get a response within a week or so, I would probably move on.

• I don't think 10 days is super long for someone who is traveling for work.  Just because you can post a picture online doesn't mean you have them time to read and respond to every single email efficiently.  I'm assuming your email is not the only one she has received.    

If after a week you do not hear from the 2nd email then I would be concerned.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Does she have a phone number posted on her website that you could call?  Some just have a contact form, and others list their contact information.
  • Does she have a phone number posted on her website that you could call?  Some just have a contact form, and others list their contact information.
    She only has her email address on her site. Thankfully, she did respond to our request for a phone call within about two days. Plus, we checked with our friends who used her for their wedding and they said she was great, but really slow to respond via phone or email.
  • abcdevonn said:
    Does she have a phone number posted on her website that you could call?  Some just have a contact form, and others list their contact information.
    She only has her email address on her site. Thankfully, she did respond to our request for a phone call within about two days. Plus, we checked with our friends who used her for their wedding and they said she was great, but really slow to respond via phone or email.
    That is good she got back to you quickly the second time.  And it is also good to know that this is typical behavior so at least you know for the future if you go ahead and book with her.

• abcdevonn said:
    Does she have a phone number posted on her website that you could call?  Some just have a contact form, and others list their contact information.
    Well, you now know that she's slow to get back to you, so you can choose someone else or otherwise plan accordingly if vendors getting back to you right away is important to you.
  • I would check with your friends to see how long it took them to get their photos. Also ask her that before signing any contracts. The reason that some photographers are cheaper is because when they are starting out (and sometimes well into their careers), they are doing the photography work along with another full time or part time job and juggling their personal/family life. This takes away from their avaibility to edit & get your photos to you in the time frame you are hoping for. I know a friend of mine ran into that situation and didn't get any photos for 5 months after their wedding. Which was in the contract, but they didn't think she would actually take that long. While other photographers who do photography as their full time job, typically charge more because this is their full time job & income but since they are dedicated photographers, can get your photos to you in a much quicker time frame.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards