Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Budget ceremony and reception

Edit: I think I posted this to the wrong board. I apologize :( I meant to post t to the Budgey board and it looks like I posted to Ceremony and Vow Ideas. I can't figure out how to move it on my phone.

Hi everyone! I am new to the boards but I didn't see anything similar to what I was wondering about. I am planning to get married in November and wanting to just do a courthouse ceremony or very small church ceremony with a small to medium party/celebration for close family and friends that evening or the following day. To give a little background, I was married once before so I'd rather not spend a lot of money this time around and I honestly don't want all of the attention and fuss. My parents have graciously offered to help finance a get together, but my older sister is getting married in September (her first marriage) and they're already paying a decent amount for her wedding so I really don't want to put a lot more of a burden on them. I have read a lot of suggestions online about having a barbecue, but I live in an area that won't accommodate that in November. I also live in a small area with very few restaurants that are nice enough or big enough to accommodate an event like this. I can think of a couple as a last resort, but I'd rather do something at one of our families' homes. I know I'd like a cake, but I don't know if I should do finger foods or an actual meal. Have any of you all done something similar? What exactly did you do as far as food/decorations/etc.? Did you send invitations or keep it more casual? I don't even know where to start. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!

Re: Budget ceremony and reception

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    When my late grandmother was married, weddings were very small, and almost alwas done at home.  The pastor would show up on time, and the couple would be married in front of close family and friends.  After the ceremony, everyone would congratulate the couple, and have cake and coffee or punch.   Cake can be homemade, and it doesn't need to be fancy, or get a decorated sheet cake from Sam's Club or the grocery store.  This is the most traditional kind of wedding.
    If you want to have a church wedding, then I did something very similar.  You plan a simple mid-afternoon ceremony (about 2:00 PM).  No huge bridal parties.  Afterwards, cake and punch in the church fellowship hall.  No dancing.  Reception lasts about an hour.  Very traditional, and very proper.  If you want to make it a little nicer, then add a tray of little tea sandwiches and veggies.
    HOWEVER - the reception must be on the same day as the ceremony!  No gaps allowed!  You may have a private courthouse ceremony, followed by a family celebration, but it is better if everyone is invited to both the ceremony and the celebration.  This is why church weddings work so well.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Hi everyone! I am new to the boards but I didn't see anything similar to what I was wondering about. I am planning to get married in November and wanting to just do a courthouse ceremony or very small church ceremony with a small to medium party/celebration for close family and friends that evening or the following day. To give a little background, I was married once before so I'd rather not spend a lot of money this time around and I honestly don't want all of the attention and fuss. My parents have graciously offered to help finance a get together, but my older sister is getting married in September (her first marriage) and they're already paying a decent amount for her wedding so I really don't want to put a lot more of a burden on them. I have read a lot of suggestions online about having a barbecue, but I live in an area that won't accommodate that in November. I also live in a small area with very few restaurants that are nice enough or big enough to accommodate an event like this. I can think of a couple as a last resort, but I'd rather do something at one of our families' homes. I know I'd like a cake, but I don't know if I should do finger foods or an actual meal. Have any of you all done something similar? What exactly did you do as far as food/decorations/etc.? Did you send invitations or keep it more casual? I don't even know where to start. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!
    First you need to talk to your parents and figure out how much money they are willing to give to you.  And remember, money comes with strings, so if your parents pitch in financially then they get a say over your wedding plans.  So not only do you need to discuss budget with your parents you also need to discuss their involvement (wants/needs) in your wedding plans.

If a small wedding is what you and your FI want that is perfectly fine.  If you get married at a non-meal time then you don't have to provide a full meal, but rather just cake and some very light apps such as veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, and maybe some small finger sandwiches.  But this party must follow your ceremony because it is a thank you to those guests you have invited to your ceremony.

And regardless of how casual this wedding will be, you should still send invites.  You will still need your guests to RSVP.  There are a variety of invites out there and if your event is more casual then a pick a more casual looking invite.  But this is still a wedding and it deserves mailed invites.

So your first step is talking to your parents.

• @artbyallie can move this post for you if you want, OP.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • You can have just a cake and punch reception in the afternoon. If you have the wedding and reception in the late morning, you can do brunch, which is your cheapest option for a meal.

DO NOT break up the ceremony and reception. It's rude to your guests. They have to then dedicate two days to your celebration instead of just one.
  • Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if just cake and punch would be okay so this makes me feel better.
  • Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if just cake and punch would be okay so this makes me feel better.
    As long as it's not at a normal meal time, you're good to go! :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    This is the wording for a cake and punch wedding, with the reception in the church fellowship hall:

The honour of your presence is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name

Day, date
    at two o'clock

First United Methodist Church
    Address
    Anytown, State

Reception to follow

I recommend Vistaprint.com for inexpensive invitations.  Sign up on their website for notices of their constant sales promotions.  You can save a lot of money with them, and they have lovely designs.

Ask the church secretary who runs the wedding receptions.  There is always a little old (bossy) lady in charge.  There will probably be a small fee for using the hall and clean up afterwards.  Many churches have glassware and silverware that can be used, but if not, then paper and plastic is OK.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would recommend checking into your city to see what venues they may have available for rent. Also don't forget your local/state/federal park systems. Another option is VFS halls or ethnic clubs like Italian American clubs. You may be able to rent out a small hall for a small amount. This way you can put up decorations and have a cake and punch ceremony to keep things simple or if you want to dinner, maybe you can get bring food in. Many pizza places can do full pans of pasta, salad and chicken which can make for a great affordable meal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards