Registry and Gift Forum

Undeposited Check Gift

I'm hoping for some guidance.

I attended a wedding over a month ago, and gave a check to the newlyweds.  They've been back from their honeymoon for over 3 weeks, but the check has yet to be cashed.  I've never given a check as a gift before, so I have some questions.

1) How long did you wait before cashing checks you received as gifts?

2) Is it normal for this to take so long?

3) Should I reach out to the couple to make sure it wasn't accidentally discarded or there wasn't confusion on the bank's side?

4) If I do reach out, how do I approach it?

Thanks!

Re: Undeposited Check Gift

• We gave a check at my cousin's wedding a couple of years ago and they took about 4 weeks to deposit it.  I was feeling nervous as well that it was lost or stolen, etc.  Not sure whether they were just super busy after the wedding and honeymoon and it took them a while to get around to it.

They never did get around to writing a thank you note though, so they must have been SUPER DUPER busy! 

I would let it go a little over a month probably before I would ask about it.  My step-sister does this constantly, too.  If we go in on a parent gift for Xmas or something and I give her a check for my half, its WEEKS before I see it deposited.  I don't get it!

All that to say, I don't think it's terribly out of the ordinary, just super annoying.

• Who did you write the check to?  If it was to both of them, it may take longer to cash because it's more of a pain to cash a joint check if they don't have a joint account set up.  Also if you assumed the bride was changing her name, and put that new name on the check, it could take a good long while.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Who did you write the check to?  If it was to both of them, it may take longer to cash because it's more of a pain to cash a joint check if they don't have a joint account set up.  Also if you assumed the bride was changing her name, and put that new name on the check, it could take a good long while.
    Yep.  I always only write the check to one person, usually the one we know better.  If it's the woman, I use her current name.

But sometimes people are just bad at this.  FH has held checks for his 'on-the-side' job for long after the 90 day expiration, then crossed his fingers that they'd go through.  People are dumb.  And inconsiderate of people who like to know how much money they actually HAVE.
  • Thanks for all of the advice! I honestly can't remember how I filled the check out, so now I am wondering if they weren't able to cash it yet.  I remember debating how to make it out, but don't remember what I decided on... Will not be making that mistake again.  I will wait probably another 2 weeks, and if nothing, I will call to make sure that it wasn't lost or there wasn't trouble at the bank.
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2015
    I didn't take a honeymoon and have to admit it still took me awhile to cash the checks. I was busy with work and other things and didn't get to the bank right away.  Since many of the checks were made out to my new name, I had to first change my name with the bank before I could deposit them.  I probably still had them cashed within a month or so. 
  • We cashed our checks within a week of the wedding.  It annoys me to have uncashed checks because I know people can't balance their checkbook.  We had checks written all different ways - one bank wouldn't take my new name, but fortunately another did.....we only had to show the temporary marriage certificate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards