Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Aisle Crisis!

I'm getting married on an awesome old bridge, but theres a problem: the wood plank floor is full of nails that stick up. In normal clothes, this is no big deal, but my dress is all lace AND has a long train. I'm really really concerned about it catching on a nail as I walk down the aisle. 

My fiance has offered to go hammer down the nails, but that's sort of an impossible task.... there are hundreds!! 

So, the solution would be an aisle runner, right? Except that since this is an outdoor ceremony, I don't want to use a lightweight runner, because it will probably blow all over the place. Additionally, my guests will be mingling on the bridge before the ceremony, so if we were to nail or tape down the runner in advance, by the time i actually walk down it, it will be covered in footprints and dirt. 

I've looked at carpet by the foot, but it's not cheap. The best thing I found was a 24' white runner made from cheap fuzzy carpet that sort of looks like the material that's used car floormats. Its pretty ugly, but maybe my best option??? 

HELPPPPP! 

Re: Aisle Crisis!

• An aisle runner is not going to make the nails go away. It will just turn them into bumps to be tripped over. Bustle your dress or have someone carry your train.
  • Are your guests going to have to walk down these planks that have nails sticking out? This sounds a little dangerous. 
  • I feel like hammering down the nails is a really good option. If the two of you do it, the task shouldn't take too long. One of you start at one end and the other starts at the other, meet in the middle. It sounds like it will be dangerous for guests as well.
  • Starla14 said:
    I'm getting married on an awesome old bridge, but theres a problem: the wood plank floor is full of nails that stick up. In normal clothes, this is no big deal, but my dress is all lace AND has a long train. I'm really really concerned about it catching on a nail as I walk down the aisle. 

My fiance has offered to go hammer down the nails, but that's sort of an impossible task.... there are hundreds!! 

So, the solution would be an aisle runner, right? Except that since this is an outdoor ceremony, I don't want to use a lightweight runner, because it will probably blow all over the place. Additionally, my guests will be mingling on the bridge before the ceremony, so if we were to nail or tape down the runner in advance, by the time i actually walk down it, it will be covered in footprints and dirt. 

I've looked at carpet by the foot, but it's not cheap. The best thing I found was a 24' white runner made from cheap fuzzy carpet that sort of looks like the material that's used car floormats. Its pretty ugly, but maybe my best option??? 

HELPPPPP! 
    The nails weren't considered when you first looked at this as a possible venue?  I hope you're letting your guests know so they wear the proper footwear (i.e. steel toed boots) because I would not like to get tetanus from attending your wedding.
  • Could you put some kind of padding down (I was thinking carpet padding) under the aisle runner to beef it up without changing the material on top? If your guests will be sitting at the end of the bridge, you could just rope it off before the ceremony. Otherwise, if the guests will be sitting on the bridge you may want to consider an insert indicating as such, so that they can plan their footwear accordingly.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • hammer down the nails.  do not have a long trail.   Find another place?

I get you are worried about your dress.  I would be worried about people tripping.  

Where is this bridge located?   Are you even allowed to hammer down the nails?  (I'm thinking if it's historical there would be cetain restrictions).   Can you get married on the end of the bridge as to not have to walk very far?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I am sure the bridge looks very cool but the hundreds of nails sticking up out of the planks would lead me to move my ceremony elsewhere on the property, like at the end of the bridge or off to the side where the bridge is in the background.  

Rusty nails and guests walking around in strappy sandals don't really go well together.  Unless you want to have a paramedic on hand to give out tetanus shots.  I mean, that would be one unique favor.

• I am sure the bridge looks very cool but the hundreds of nails sticking up out of the planks would lead me to move my ceremony elsewhere on the property, like at the end of the bridge or off to the side where the bridge is in the background.  

Rusty nails and guests walking around in strappy sandals don't really go well together.  Unless you want to have a paramedic on hand to give out tetanus shots.  I mean, that would be one unique favor.

Suggested footwear:  Steel bottom boots.

Carpet and a runner may help your dress, but it will still be uneven tarain and not keep people from tripping.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Am I the only one picturing a bunch of people milling about on an old, unsturdy bridge and the whole thing collapsing?!  This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Wow. Tetanus, paramedics, rope bridges, tumbling guests and collapsing bridges. This is all extremely helpful! Geez, I think I'll just figure this one out myself. 
  • Starla14 said:
    Wow. Tetanus, paramedics, rope bridges, tumbling guests and collapsing bridges. This is all extremely helpful! Geez, I think I'll just figure this one out myself. 
    Hey I gave good advise. You and your FI hammer down the nails!
  • Starla14 said:
    Wow. Tetanus, paramedics, rope bridges, tumbling guests and collapsing bridges. This is all extremely helpful! Geez, I think I'll just figure this one out myself. 
    We're trying to help you. It's a shame you can't see that. Good luck to you. I hope none of your guests are injured by your decision to have your ceremony on a bridge that has nails sticking up. 
  • The fuck kind of logic is it that you're concerned about your dress train but not the safety of your guests?  I would be so incredibly angry to show up at your wedding and find out that it's being held somewhere with hundreds of nails sticking up.  That is DANGEROUS.  How do you not see this?

• Starla14 said:
    That works for me.  You are, after all, clearly the only person in which you are interested.  Your post was all about YOU, YOUR vision, and YOUR dress.  The only time you even mentioned guests was in relation to them potentially muddying up your vision.

You need to figure out that you chose a risky and dangerous ceremony location. 
  • Make sure you have a good lawyer for when the lawsuits come.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    Make sure you have a good lawyer for when the lawsuits come.
    If this thread becomes part of the discovery, (I am so using my TV Law show vernacular), the OP won't stand a chance!  It is clear that she is aware of the potential dangers, and is knowingly putting the safety of her guests second to her wedding vision.  Her request for help is NOT for the sake of her guests, but for the integrity of her precious dress.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    Starla14 said:
    I want to apologize.   You see my dad is an international speaker on workplace safety.  Safety is alway first and forefront in our lives.   I forgot we are the weird ones who actually care about other people's safety.     

Please by all means, don't give the safety of you or your guests another thought.    It is your wedding after all.   Safety should not even be a consideration.   The only things important are you and your dress.   Who really care's if someone else might get hurt?

It's your day!

• nyyanks1 said:
    Since it is outdoors and rustic, possibly a burlap runner?  Check out www.weddingdecorboutique.com.  They may have something that can help you.
    Is this your own website that you keep promoting?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards