Attire & Accessories Forum

Who pays for the grooms suit?

So this isn't a huge deal, but just something I 100% didn't think about but was curious what others did.

My fiancé was going to get a new suit for the wedding and assumed that we'd pay for it from the budget. Now the suit is over $600 and since it's linen, he probably won't be wearing it for work or very often. That being said, I spent slightly more than that for my dress which did come from the budget. It's just that we never talked about it before now and it caught me off guard. We will have some extra wiggle room in the budget to cover it, but it just feels like a huge shock to what I planned we'd spend.

Did you just pay for the suit from the budget? I haven't said anything to him about it yet since I assumed most couples do this, it would just be nice to hear some opinions if someone has/hasn't.

Re: Who pays for the grooms suit?

• If you included your dress cost into the wedding budget then you should have also thought about and budgeted for your grooms attire cost.  I mean it doesn't really seem fair to make him pay for his attire out of his own pocket while yours was covered by the wedding budget.

And is he really set on a linen suit?  Those things wrinkle like crazy when you just look at them, let alone when you wear it.

• I paid for my dress. My husband paid for his tux. 
  • Thanks! both are helpful! I figured it would only be fair to pay for it since my dress was covered and even if he only wear it once, I probably will only wear mine once too..

@Maggie0829yeah he's set on linen. We're getting married somewhere hot and he thinks it'll be a better option than his other suits. I tried to explain the wrinkling issue, but still set on it. We shall see...

• FI isn't wearing a suit, just a vest and tie and shirt with pants, but he paid for all of it... I didn't consider it part of the wedding budget either.

I also agree that linen may not be the best choice for looking nice all day.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • While FI got a suit that he can re wear many times we paid for it out of our wedding budget. It was a new suit specifically for the wedding, it just is great that he will get more wear out of it. My thing was, If I get a new outfit, why shouldnt he??

Although we consider all of our money 'ours' so we while we took money out of our specific wedding savings account, at the end of the day it never would have been him buying it or me buying it. It's our money. 
  • I put it into the wedding budget, with his accessories (not that I really know what those will be yet....but if he needs new shoes or cuff links or whatever else, we have a bit set aside). In the interest of fairness, I budgeted the same amount for both of our outfits and both of our accessories. I'm HOPING he spends far less than I do, but I'm not banking on it. 
  • In your case, I would say it should be a joint expense.  Honestly it's kind-of sad his attire was an after thought.

In our case, I think DH paid for his attire, but it wasn't like "you pay for this, I pay for that" type thing.    We thought of the money in terms of "ours", it was just his account that was used.    We were on our way to a bar and stopped in a shop for something when DH found the shirt he wanted.  He paid for the shirt, we threw it in the car and went to the bar. 

My parents bought my dress. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Who else would pay for it? Is the "budget" money for parents? Or did you both contribute to the budget? Are you keeping your finances separate when you marry?

I'm confused by this question.
    Kate71421 said:

So this isn't a huge deal, but just something I 100% didn't think about but was curious what others did.

My fiancé was going to get a new suit for the wedding and assumed that we'd pay for it from the budget. Now the suit is over $600 and since it's linen, he probably won't be wearing it for work or very often. That being said, I spent slightly more than that for my dress which did come from the budget. It's just that we never talked about it before now and it caught me off guard. We will have some extra wiggle room in the budget to cover it, but it just feels like a huge shock to what I planned we'd spend.

Did you just pay for the suit from the budget? I haven't said anything to him about it yet since I assumed most couples do this, it would just be nice to hear some opinions if someone has/hasn't.

My dad bought my dress as a gift. We paid for DH's out of the wedding budget that we set and paid ourselves.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Who else would pay for it?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • All fair questions. His attire wasn't an after thought- he was originally going to wear a suit he owned and then changed his mind a couple weeks ago. Honestly it isn't a big deal to cover it from our budget so we definitely will, just wanted to hear others opinions. Thanks.
  • When I made the budget I gave myself $700 including alterations and gave F.I. 600$.
  • Kate71421 said:

Thanks! both are helpful! I figured it would only be fair to pay for it since my dress was covered and even if he only wear it once, I probably will only wear mine once too..

@Maggie0829yeah he's set on linen. We're getting married somewhere hot and he thinks it'll be a better option than his other suits. I tried to explain the wrinkling issue, but still set on it. We shall see...

Consider looking into the Italian linen suits at J Crew.  My son wore a khaki colored version and he looked incredible.  It did not have the same wrinkle factor as other linen suits.
  • @MobKaz That's exactly what he did!  I assume the Ludlow? They just pulled them from stores (to put out fall merch), but we ordered online. Great to hear they don't wrinkle as badly. so excited to get it and see how it looks!!
  • He did. FI found a suit he fell in love with at Express, of all places (At our local mall Express has a section for suits). It wound up being on sale so he purchased the jacket, pants, and even a vest and it was about $200. I think it was a "buy one piece of the suit, get another piece free" or something.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Attire is attire, whether it's his or hers.  We would have budgeted for a suit if Fiance's mom hadn't offered to buy his outfit.

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Kate71421 said:
    @MobKaz That's exactly what he did!  I assume the Ludlow? They just pulled them from stores (to put out fall merch), but we ordered online. Great to hear they don't wrinkle as badly. so excited to get it and see how it looks!!

----BOXES----

I've attached a photo.  This is their first dance.  He has had the suit on for at least 4 hours by now.  They had an outdoor summer ceremony, he has attended the cocktail hour and had been seated at least an hour for dinner.  I think the suit wore extremely well.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    Kate71421 said:
    All fair questions. His attire wasn't an after thought- he was originally going to wear a suit he owned and then changed his mind a couple weeks ago. Honestly it isn't a big deal to cover it from our budget so we definitely will, just wanted to hear others opinions. Thanks.
    Well then it sounds like you want to "punish" him for changing his mind.    As much as we want budgets to be firm, fact is life it's always rarely that way.   Budgets are always been tweaked as thing pop-up. Or sometimes things are more or less expensive than we except.   

Your FI changed his mind.   Your choices are to add this category  to the budget.  Tweak other categories to pay for this new expense or make him pay out of his own pocket.  It's not a one size fits all answer.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Wow I definitely don't or didn't want to "punish" him. That seems slightly aggressive. Just looking for what other people did as it caught me off guard. Just to reiterate we ARE paying for his suit from the budget. Thanks
  • We had ours built into the budget, but we DID know that from the start. I can understand why $600 seemingly out of nowhere was a bit of a shock.
  • You keep saying it's not a big deal and that you were just curious what others did. I think that's odd, and I don't buy it. There would be no reason to wonder what others did unless it bothered you that you were suddenly having to help pay for his suit.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm wondering if this question is because many tux rentals offer the groom a free tux with the groomsmen's rental.

Did you expect us to say the groomsmen pay or its standard for his dad to buy it. I feel like you wanted us to tell you someone else should pick up the tab.

You are doing the most common thing, playing for his attire out of your budget with your (the couple's) money.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards