Chit Chat

Being Late On the Uptake

So I feel like a ton of the time, I'm "discovering" some super cool thing that has, um, been around a while. It's kind of hard to rave about how awesome this new great gadget is when, well, you're late to the show. I really hope I'm not alone in this but...
I just discovered Stitch Fix. I mean, like, I'd heard of it before, but it was not something I really looked into until a couple weeks ago. And man I love it. And then I went to rave to my mom about it.... And she goes "yeah I just ordered my second fix." And apparently this thing has been around for years.
We also just discovered Friday Night Lights, which is, by the way, a TEN YEAR OLD SHOW. They were interviewing the writer on Fresh Air (not a recent discovery, lol, I've been listening to NPR for most of my life) and I decided to check out the show on Netflix. OMG I love it. And now I'm wanting to like, rave and discuss the show with people, but um.... You can't really do that with a show that old that's off the air.
Does anyone have any amazing "discoveries" that they were super late to the party on? It can be whatever- TV shows, memes, cool gadgets, etc.

Re: Being Late On the Uptake

• Start a Friday night lights thread, I'll glad discuss the show and how much I miss it!!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Wegl13 said:

We also just discovered Friday Night Lights, which is, by the way, a TEN YEAR OLD SHOW. They were interviewing the writer on Fresh Air (not a recent discovery, lol, I've been listening to NPR for most of my life) and I decided to check out the show on Netflix. OMG I love it. And now I'm wanting to like, rave and discuss the show with people, but um.... You can't really do that with a show that old that's off the air.
    Does anyone have any amazing "discoveries" that they were super late to the party on? It can be whatever- TV shows, memes, cool gadgets, etc.
    I heard that same interview and it made me all nostalgic for FNL.  Clear minds, full hearts, CAN'T LOSE.  Texas forever, Wegl13.

I was the same way with The West Wing and Parenthood.  I found both on Netflix--in WW's case, after the entire series was over and done with.  (I think Parenthood was in its last season, but not technically over.) 

And FTR, I have been seriously eyeing Stitch Fix but reluctant to take the plunge, so if I decide to try it, I will be joining up even later than you did.  ;)
  • Stitch Fix is amazing. I just signed up for it last month and loved my first box. Got my boss and coworker to try it out as well. 

@Heffalump I didn't get in to Parenthood until just after the series finale premiered. I watched the whole series in about two weeks once I started. All the tears and feels. 
  • WE'RE GOIN' TA STATE!!!

I need to get Netflix asap
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• FNL has been coming on Pivot on our TV (which I didn't know was a channel) and DH and I have been watching every night. Texas Forever.

I  just now started watching Scandal

• I'm in season one still (episode 20, I couldn't sleep AT ALL last night ) and it's just.... So amazing. And I lurved my stitch fix!! Omg I could spend all of my money at all ever those clothes, they all fit super perfectly.
  • We just finished the first season of The Wire, and it's a great show.  It premiered in 2002... so yeah.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • When I was a kid I'd obsessively watch Nick at Nite and was especially obsessed with the Brady Bunch and the fashion surrounding that time period. I remember going with thrift stores with my mom as a kid and buying some 70s esque outfits and falling in love with them. So technically I discovered the Brady Bunch, Bewitched, the Munsters, etc. far far later than others ;)

But really I definitely discover things very late as well. The Walking Dead being FH and I's latest obsession. We got into it when season 5 was airing.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I just started watching Supernatural, and they are starting season 11 this season. In the middle of season 3 now and I love it.
  • hellohkb said:
    When I was a kid I'd obsessively watch Nick at Nite and was especially obsessed with the Brady Bunch and the fashion surrounding that time period. I remember going with thrift stores with my mom as a kid and buying some 70s esque outfits and falling in love with them. So technically I discovered the Brady Bunch, Bewitched, the Munsters, etc. far far later than others ;) But really I definitely discover things very late as well. The Walking Dead being FH and I's latest obsession. We got into it when season 5 was airing.
    Considering you were not born (I'm assuming) when these shows were in their first run, there is nothing you can do about that.

I watched breaking bad after it was over. I still have to finish the last season.

• hellohkb said:

When I was a kid I'd obsessively watch Nick at Nite and was especially obsessed with the Brady Bunch and the fashion surrounding that time period. I remember going with thrift stores with my mom as a kid and buying some 70s esque outfits and falling in love with them. So technically I discovered the Brady Bunch, Bewitched, the Munsters, etc. far far later than others ;)

But really I definitely discover things very late as well. The Walking Dead
    being FH and I's latest obsession. We got into it when season 5 was airing.

Considering you were not born (I'm assuming) when these shows were in their first run, there is nothing you can do about that.

I watched breaking bad after it was over. I still have to finish the last season.

Oh I know! I'm just joking around. Still fun to get interested in things that have been around for so long. It's a lot easier to find information, merch, etc.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Fiance and I were late to the party with GOT.
  • I've been late to so many shows... Breaking Bad (I refused to watch it at first, actually), The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, Game of Thrones (both the show and the books)... But I guess it's not like I hadn't heard of them, I just fear new show commitment.

One thing I am on top of, for all you Walking Dead fans, is the new spinoff, Fear the Walking Dead. Completely stupid and lazy show title, but two episodes in and I'm hooked.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We just finished the first season of The Wire, and it's a great show.  It premiered in 2002... so yeah.  
    We have been looking for this all summer and can't find it.  Not on Netflix and DH can't find a download anywhere.  :(

• Start a Friday night lights thread, I'll glad discuss the show and how much I miss it!!

I was late to the FNL party too. I watched the whole series last summer in a matter of about 4 weeks. Would stay up way too late watching it...but LOVE!
    We have been looking for this all summer and can't find it.  Not on Netflix and DH can't find a download anywhere.  :(
    It's an HBO show, so you can pretty much only get it on HBO go.
  • hellohkb said:
    When I was a kid I'd obsessively watch Nick at Nite and was especially obsessed with the Brady Bunch and the fashion surrounding that time period. I remember going with thrift stores with my mom as a kid and buying some 70s esque outfits and falling in love with them. So technically I discovered the Brady Bunch, Bewitched, the Munsters, etc. far far later than others ;) But really I definitely discover things very late as well. The Walking Dead being FH and I's latest obsession. We got into it when season 5 was airing.

That's my childhood right there sister!  I always wanted Spot from The Munsters, or Rosie from the Jetson's for that matter.  I still want Rosie.
    It's an HBO show, so you can pretty much only get it on HBO go.
    Boo HBO.  I'll have to check into that.  DH got us an American IP address last night, so we can at least get US Netflix now.  So much more choice!!!!

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    We just finished the first season of The Wire, and it's a great show.  It premiered in 2002... so yeah.  
    We watch it on Amazon Prime instant video... we're in the states though, not sure if it's different for you up there in Canada.

ETA just saw the post above this one where you said you got a US IP address.  So hopefully you can get it on Amazon!

Another ETA... need more coffee.  Amazon Prime has a deal with HBO so they have most of the HBO shows.  We also watched Deadwood on there.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I should look into that.  I do have 6 months fee with student Prime, but again, Canadian Prime doesn't have streaming (I think).  It's just no shipping charges.  Not sure how it would work with a CDN Prime but US IP.  

• I watched The West Wing WAAAAAAY after it was off the air. I was late to the party on Breaking Bad, as well. Both great shows. FNL is on my list.

StitchFix is great, I am actually wearing a top from there now. I have gotten 3 boxes. The first one, I kept 2/5 items, the second 5/5 items and the third, it all went back. Link it to your Pinterest acct and make sure to provide notes/details and they usually get it right!
    Texas Forever :)

seriously, I rewatch this show on repeat. 
  • WE'RE GOIN' TA STATE!!! I need to get Netflix asap

I am now watching FNL for the 5th time!! And I have NO shame. None whatsoever.....

Ugh. Tim Riggins for live

• WE'RE GOIN' TA STATE!!! I need to get Netflix asap

I am now watching FNL for the 5th time!! And I have NO shame. None whatsoever.....

Ugh. Tim Riggins for live

I love Tim Riggins.

• Download the popkey app. Only a few of my friends have it. It rocks. (a GIF keyboard - just like emojis except it's a ton of GIFS). It's super fun and I think.. still new. :)
  • This is my first summer wearing maxi skirts. Last winter was my first winter wearing leggings.

I was very angry at myself for not discovering these two gifts from god earlier.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • This is my first summer wearing maxi skirts. Last winter was my first winter wearing leggings.

I was very angry at myself for not discovering these two gifts from god earlier.
    I didn't discover the magic of maxi skirts/dresses and leggings until recently either. I've lived in my maxi dresses this summer and am currently stocking up on more yoga leggings for the winter. I never knew I could be so comfortable all of the time. 

I didn't discover the magic of maxi skirts/dresses and leggings until recently either. I've lived in my maxi dresses this summer and am currently stocking up on more yoga leggings for the winter. I never knew I could be so comfortable all of the time. 
    I just started wearing shorts regularly. Also, skirts to work. I used to wear pants every day, but damn if skirts aren't more comfortable. I never jumped on the maxi skirt trend, though, since I am pretty sure I'm too short for that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I resisted leggings for a very long time. That wasn't smart. Leggings are a gift from above.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Ever since I learned about the Gold Bond anti-chafing stick from this board, I've been wearing the shit out of skirts and dresses.  They are so comfy when it's hot!
    Married 9.12.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards