Wedding Etiquette Forum

Hair and Makeup for Bridemaids

Hi,

I know this might be a little late in the game. My wedding is on Oct 10th, 2015. 

I wanted to know is it too late to ask the bridesmaids to pay for the hair or makeup?

I guess I should have asked originally but I didn't.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Hair and Makeup for Bridemaids

• Hi,

I know this might be a little late in the game. My wedding is on Oct 10th, 2015. 

I wanted to know is it too late to ask the bridesmaids to pay for the hair or makeup?

What are your thoughts?

Are you requiring them to get their hair and make up done professionally? If so, it's not appropriate to ask them to pay for it at all, because it's part of your vision.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Typically if you are requiring them to have their hair and makeup done then you should cover the cost. You can make the option available to them, and then they're responsible for the cost, but they may also opt to do their own.

I've started looking at easy hairstyles for various hair lengths and textures, since I know some of my maids won't want to pay for their hair, and it's not in my budget to pay for it either.

• If you are asking your bridesmaids to get their hair and make up done for their wedding, you need to pay for it.  If you do not require this of them and they choose to get it done, you do not have to pay for it.  

If I were you, I would not dictate any hair or make-up. 

I did pay for my bridesmaids to get their hair done but not make-up.  I just asked if any would like a blowout or style and they all said yes so I obliged.  Everyone did their own make-up and I paid for mine to be done.  The blow-outs/styles were just a gesture/gift from me as I didn't require it and didn't ask them to wear it up/down/sideways.  
  • Did you ask them each privately what their budget was for not only a dress but also for hair and MU? If you had told them they  were having their hair and MU done that day but did not make any mention of them having to pay for it they may not be pleased. Would you be ok if they did (or wanted) to do their own hair/MU if they cannot/will not pay for this?

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I don't think it's appropriate to require them to pay an extra $100 or whatever just to get hair and makeup done.  It's one thing for a dress, but hair and makeup can easily be DIY.

For me though, I'm paying for my MOH to have hers done, just to be nice.  If she had said she wanted to do her own, I'd be fine with that.  I offered to pay for my moms too but she said she will just do her own makeup, but is having her hair done.  Since I had the person coming anyway, I opened it up to FI's mom and sister (who isn't in the wedding, just a guest), and they are having theirs done too, but at their expense.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Hi,

What are your thoughts?
    To me, it depends on what has already been communicated and planned.  If you've already made the appointments, and have already announced that hair and make-up is at X time/place, without any discussion of this being optional or what price point your party would be comfortable with, then I think you've implied you are covering this cost and you need to stick with that.

However, if you are just now making arrangements, I think you have some flexibility.  The key is that if your party members are paying, you can't require them to use the service.  You need to present all of the information to them - "I'm looking at hair and make up appointments.  I'm going to use X salon, where it will be Y for hair and Z for make up.  If you want an appointment for one or both, let me know by Whatever Date so I can finish booking everything." - and let each person decide individually what is best.

So, I guess, yes it might be too late if you've already set everything up and are locked into a contract and/block of appointments.  But if there is still time to let everyone make an individual decision based on preferences and budget - without feeling compelled or pressured - then maybe not.

Anniversary

• I'm a little confused. Are you saying you want to tell them now that they need to get their hair and makeup done at their own cost? If so, you can't do that. 
  • Are you requiring them to get hair and makeup done?  What has been communicated about hair and makeup up to this point?

• I am not requiring any of that for my bridesmaids. Not hair, not makeup, not nails. I am getting my hair and nails done and doing my own makeup. I let them know where I will be getting these things done and said we can all get appointments at the same time, but they are fully aware that they do not have to participate if it isn't in their budget.

• If you're requiring your bridesmaids to have their hair and makeup done professionally, or styled a particular way, you need to pay for it.

Otherwise, you can leave it up to them.

• What have you already told them up to this point about hair and makeup?

If you previously said you'd cover it, I think it would be hard to change that now.  If you previously said you are requiring it, and will still be requiring it, you MUST pay for it.  If you've just mentioned that there will be hair and makeup services available if anyone wishes to use them, but did not require them to do it nor tell them you'd be paying, then the assumption should be that they are paying their own way.

Really, whatever you've said or implied about hair and makeup up to this point will determine the answer to your question!

• What the PPs have said.

No, you cannot ask your BMs to pay for their hair and make up. As in, "Ladies, you all need to come at X time to get your hair and make up done with me". Which is different from, "I'm getting my hair and make up done at X salon, if anyone wants to get theirs done too it will be Y dollars". 
  • I did the same as a PP did, Hey girls, this is where I'm getting my hair and makeup done, this is the cost for each, if you want to come to the same salon, let me know so I can have them reserve a stylist for you, if not, please meet me at the church at x:xx for brunch & getting dressed.
  • I am having my stylist come to the venue to do my hair and make-up. She offered to do hair and make-up for the bridal party if they wanted and is giving a discount. I just needed to give her a headcount. I let my bridesmaids know that she would be there, the cost, and if they were interested to let me know. Some took me up on the offer and some didn't. I also offered my mom and FMIL, both of them opted to do their own (I was going to pay for them).

I have been in weddings where it's been covered by the bride and those where it wasn't. With the wedding where the bride paid, I hadn't been sure so I had money with me, just in case.

I definitely wouldn't wait to give your bridesmaids a heads up one way or another depending on previous conversations you've had with them. As PP's have said, at this point, I think it's going to depend on what information you've given or how you have worded the invite to get hair and make-up done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards