Wedding Etiquette Forum

Guest Book and Thank yous

A couple of questions. Other than to let the B&G know who attended their wedding, is there another purpose for the a guest book? Is it necessary to have? Additionally, not that gifts or cards are required to attend a wedding, but if you notice that someone attended that did not give a gift or card, should they still be sent a thank you card? 

Re: Guest Book and Thank yous

• pennydl said:
    A couple of questions. Other than to let the B&G know who attended their wedding, is there another purpose for the a guest book? Is it necessary to have? Additionally, not that gifts or cards are required to attend a wedding, but if you notice that someone attended that did not give a gift or card, should they still be sent a thank you card? 
    No need for a guestbook and thank yous only for people who have given gifts. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I don't think it's necessary to have a guestbook. I am going to have a print with a tree where the guests sign their names on the leaves, just because I know that if I have a traditional book, it will wind up in the attic gathering dust, whereas I plan to hang the print in the house after the wedding. As far as thank you notes go, if a guest doesn't give a card or a gift, it's not necessary to send a thank you note. Thank you notes are for gifts, the reception itself is a thank you for attending.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • pennydl said:
    A guest book is definitely not necessary.

Thank you notes are only sent to people to thank them for gifts.  They should be sent within a couple weeks of your receiving a gift.  So don't wait until after your wedding to send gifts that you get at your shower or get mailed to your house prior to the wedding.  The Reception is the Thank You to people for attending your Ceremony.  So, no, you don't send a Thank You for coming to your Thank You party.
  • A guest book isn't necessary. We had a really cool board that everyone could sign, and I have it hanging in our dining room. I love it. Everyone wrote such nice personal messages. 

Yes, I had people attend that did not give a card. You only have to sent thank you notes to people that gave you gifts. 
  • Thank you all for the advice.
  • Thanks OP for the post. For the near future, I had wondered about guests who attend and do not bring gifts as well, helps to see I'm not the only one!
  • edited September 2015
    The only people who attended our wedding and didn't give gifts were 2 of our bridal party members. I sent them thank you cards anyways to thank them again for being a special part of our special day. .
  • Erikan73 said:
    The only people who attended our wedding and didn't give gifts were 2 of our bridal party members. I sent them thank you cards anyways to thank them again for being a special part of our special day. .
    They did give you a gift, by standing with you in your wedding party! Being in a wedding is not an inexpensive endeavor - time AND money. 

I'm sure that's not what you meant, but I wanted to make the distinction, as I'm a little sensitive about the BP gift thing. I've been in several weddings where my pockets were wrung dry by the obligations, and I could only afford a couple of the $10 and under gifts, or one wedding where I couldn't afford anything. My gift was the dress, shoes, PTO (or in one case when I was younger, unpaid time off work), and time investment. I hope it meant a lot to my friends!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Erikan73 said:
    Bridal party members are a different situation. You should have given them thank you notes anyway. 

Also OP, the reception is the the thank you for attending your wedding. The TY notes are for gifts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards