Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Need help, looking for clothlike paper for invites

Hi everyone,

So we are doing a Jane Austen themed wedding, 1800s vintage, etc.  For our invites we want to print them on a cloth type of paper that will be folded and sealed with gold wax.  Here's an idea of what I imagine the paper to look like the attached image. 

We have ordered samples of "linen" paper from a few companies as well as purchased some from Staples, but none of it has that cloth like texture we really want.  Does anyone know where I can find this paper or what kind of paper it really is?

Based on my timeline, our invites have to go out 09/18, so I'm running out of time.  Thank you for any help!

Re: Need help, looking for clothlike paper for invites

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Why would you want cloth like paper for a 19th century wedding invitation?  Invitations were never written on cloth.  They were engraved on white or ecru heavy duty paper.  Here is an example from Crane's, one of the oldest companies in the USA:

http://www.crane.com/product/hand-engraved-pearl-white-royalty-wedding-invitation/165IN

These are very pricey.  You can get something similar more cheaply (with raised thermography letters) from Invitations by Dawn.

Colors and designs were not permitted until the 1970s.

If you want something else, that is fine, but if you are doing a period theme wedding, then the above would be correct.  Wax seals don't do very well in modern postal machines.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

I am a freelance graphic designer so I am doing all of the design work myself, just looking for the paper to print on.

All paper from Ancient Egyptian times until more recently was more of a clothlike texture as opposed to the modern card stock we now print on. 

Also, we used wax seals on our save the dates and had no problem with the post office.  That doesn't really matter anyway because the invitation once sealed is going to be mailed in a box. 

• Options

I am a freelance graphic designer so I am doing all of the design work myself, just looking for the paper to print on.

All paper from Ancient Egyptian times until more recently was more of a clothlike texture as opposed to the modern card stock we now print on. 

Also, we used wax seals on our save the dates and had no problem with the post office.  That doesn't really matter anyway because the invitation once sealed is going to be mailed in a box. 

Do you mean linen paper? Ancient Egyptians used papyrus, and then the majority was parchment/vellum pretty much up until the 18th C. But definitely not cloth. 

I suggest you look on etsy if you want handmade paper, but really, regular linen paper would be the most Regency accurate. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards