Outdoor Weddings
Options

To soda or not to soda...

Hi everyone,
  I'm going to be getting married and having my reception at a county park that doesn't allow alcohol. It's going to be a back yard bbq style theme complete with cookout and picnic style games (horseshoes, badmitton, etc).

Because our venue does not allow for alcohol, we're planning on serving iced tea, lemonade and a punch and having bottles of water available but i'm wondering whether I should go to the expense of buying cases and cases of soda for 250 people.

Should I buy soda in place of the lack of alcohol or will what we're already offering be enough?

Thanks!

Re: To soda or not to soda...

• Options
    I'd get pop if it were me. I'm a huge pop drinker and not a fan of iced tea or lemonade. But, if it would be too expensive (as I'm sure it could get), you could absolutely skip it. No one will leave your wedding because you don't have Diet Coke.

Plus it would be easier to mix pop with the rum in my flask. :) 
  • Options
    Instead of purchasing overwhelming cases of soda for 250 people you might look into renting a soda fountain machine. I would check with local party supply and equipment rental places on how much it might cost, will likely be cheaper than you think and you wont have the extra space of all those soda cases and possible extreme amounts of leftover soda! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would definitely do soda in some form. Some people are big soda drinkers, and it would be nice to offer that. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    2 liters can be less expensive then cans. I'm assuming you'll already have cups for the ice tea & lemonade so having cups for the soda wouldn't be any extra expense.
  • Options
    While it would be nice to offer soda, I don't think you have to.  You've got four different beverage choices, and everybody should be able to find something to drink.  While two litre bottles are less expensive, they're also more unwieldy and messy than cans.  And with cans, people tend to drink half a can, then leave it somewhere, and get a new one.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_to-soda-or-not-to-soda?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:01cab274-b6d6-4ad9-8432-c90a6df9a5b7Post:42747b50-87af-473e-a554-6ec0ffd38463">To soda or not to soda...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone,   I'm going to be getting married and having my reception at a county park that doesn't allow alcohol. It's going to be a back yard bbq style theme complete with cookout and picnic style games (horseshoes, badmitton, etc). Because our venue does not allow for alcohol, we're planning on serving iced tea, lemonade and a punch and having bottles of water available but i'm wondering whether I should go to the expense of buying cases and cases of soda for 250 people. Should I buy soda in place of the lack of alcohol or will what we're already offering be enough? Thanks!
    Posted by athairn[/QUOTE]

Agree w/ PPs.....can you do 2 liters of soda?  Also, don't forget coffee and tea!! 
  • Options

We are doing just soda and water bottles.. allthough it is a little expensive, we dont have to buy cups-ice to go in cups, etc... but I do agree with the above posters.. try the soda machine, because people will sit down their cans and just go get another one, which will get very expensive. 250 people.. is a lot.  I honestly think since you are having so much already, I wouldn't bother with soda. you wont be able to please everyone, and Im sure with all of the choices you are going to have they will be able to find something to drink.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards