Chit Chat

Shirt advice

Hey guys,

I got a shirt in my first StitchFix last month that fit great and felt good, but because it was long sleeve I kinda just stored it away. Today where I live it's rainy and cool so I busted it out excited to wear it. It's got a lace top, so rather that show any bra straps I threw a strapless bra on and put the shirt on... only to find that it's kinda see through in the bust, which I hate. So my question is.. what are my options? I know I could throw a cami on and just deal with the fact that you can see the straps through the lace, but does anyone have any strapless options? 

I can only find one photo of this damn shirt and it's of someone else wearing it for their stitchfix review blog... You can see on her that it's see through too.

Any ideas?

Re: Shirt advice

• Wear a strapless bra the same color as the shirt so it is less noticeable? It is not too bad in the photo, so I think it would be harder to tell it was see through that way.
  • My best suggestion is a nude bra that is close to your skin tone. Then you won't really see the straps at the lace. It will still be kind of sheer in the bust but not as much if it were white. You could also where one of those bandeau stretchy tops underneath.

• emmaaa said:
    My best suggestion is a nude bra that is close to your skin tone. Then you won't really see the straps at the lace. It will still be kind of sheer in the bust but not as much if it were white. You could also where one of those bandeau stretchy tops underneath.

Agreed - definitely wear a nude bra - doesn't even have to be strapless. And then a bandeau top in either black or nude would look great.

Super cute top!

• emmaaa said:
    My best suggestion is a nude bra that is close to your skin tone. Then you won't really see the straps at the lace. It will still be kind of sheer in the bust but not as much if it were white. You could also where one of those bandeau stretchy tops underneath.

Agreed - definitely wear a nude bra - doesn't even have to be strapless. And then a bandeau top in either black or nude would look great.

Super cute top!

Thanks guys! It's literally the softest top in the world so I know I'm going to love snuggling up in it this winter. The strapless bra I put on this morning WAS nude, which is why I was so disappointed that you could see it. A black bandeau top would MAYBE work.. I think if the fabric was darker/more uniform it might not be as see-through. hmm, now where to find a bandeau in September? haha
  • emmaaa said:

Super cute top!

Thanks guys! It's literally the softest top in the world so I know I'm going to love snuggling up in it this winter. The strapless bra I put on this morning WAS nude, which is why I was so disappointed that you could see it. A black bandeau top would MAYBE work.. I think if the fabric was darker/more uniform it might not be as see-through. hmm, now where to find a bandeau in September? haha
    CLEARANCE! Haha

• I would probably go with the strapless bra and a spaghetti strap navy tank/cami underneath. I don't think seeing the straps would look bad if they're thin. 

• I always wear a cami under lace tops like that - never looks bad to me. I see it often on other women as well. But I agree that a bandeau would probably work pretty well too. Also - love that skirt? Is it from Old Navy? I feel like I just saw it recently.
  • @swazzle I definitely agree that showing some strap wouldn't be the end of the world, I think I just like the idea of leaving the lace be.... Worst comes to worst I'll definitely cami it up.

@cupcait927 I got the photo off of someone's blog but when I skimmed her review I'm pretty sure I saw it was from Old Navy!

• I have a few shirts that are lace at the top and pretty sheer and I just wear a nude bra and cami with thin straps that's the same color as the shirt. It always seem to work out fine for me. But then again I'm the type of person who refuses to be uncomfortable for the sake of fashion so take that with a grain of salt. 
  • So I'm going to Target tonight after work anyway.. Maybe I will look for a black (oh or maybe a navy?) bandeau as well as a navy cami for backup.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
  • the girl in the picture has straps but they aren't noticeable unless you really looks so I think a nude cami would be ok

• You can try tucking the straps of a cami down to make it "strapless." I do that sometimes if I'm concerned about straps! Depending on the thickness and material of the straps, it can be itchy, so if you plan to do that just keep it in mind.
  • I always wear a cami under lace tops like that - never looks bad to me. I see it often on other women as well. But I agree that a bandeau would probably work pretty well too. Also - love that skirt? Is it from Old Navy? I feel like I just saw it recently.
    That skirt is def Old Navy- I saw it there yesterday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards