Wedding Party

Bridemaids Gifts at Bachelorette Party

Hi Ladies,

Is it out of the norm to give my bridesmaids gifts to my wedding party during the bachelorette party? I am making them all custom relaxation bags filled with kimono robes, wine, glasses, bath salts, candles, shower gel ans mani pedi kits. Things they can enjoy anytime.

Is it customary to do it during the rehearsal dinner or after? Or can I do it before? I'm not really sure.

Thank you!

Re: Bridemaids Gifts at Bachelorette Party

• I think it is out of the norm to give wedding party members gifts at a bachelor/ette party, especially if non-wedding party members will be present.  It is normal to do it at the rehearsal dinner, but you can do it at any time provided only members of the wedding party are present.  Otherwise, you could hurt the feelings of others present who don't receive gifts.
  • Are you having your bachelorette party a couple months before the wedding? If so, I would wait until the rehearsal, or the morning of your wedding to hand out your bridesmaids gifts.

Best of luck with your wedding planning!!

Just as a caution, posters on this board have a strong hatred towards robes as a gift.

• Thanks ladies!

Wow, hatred towards robes as gifts? Does it help that they dont say anything? I wouldnt wear a robe that said bridesmaids on it after the wedding day. Just satin kimono robes with patterns in their favorite color.
  • MissMed07 said:
    Thanks ladies!

Wow, hatred towards robes as gifts? Does it help that they dont say anything? I wouldnt wear a robe that said bridesmaids on it after the wedding day. Just satin kimono robes with patterns in their favorite color.
    I think it may be more geared to bride's who want their bridesmaids to wear the robes to get ready the morning of the wedding for pictures. You can see some recent posts on the subject if you're curious. :)

• MissMed07 said:
    Thanks ladies!

A lot of people don't like robes, and often robes people give out as wedding gifts tend to be cheap ones, so it comes off as a gift that doesn't have a lot of thought behind it. Most people advise (and I agree with) shopping for your friends like it is their birthday for a a gift. Buying the same thing for everyone doesn't leave a lot of individuality in the gift.
  • True. I am building them bags though with more than just a gift. Bottles of wine in their favorite varietals and spa kits for their different needs stress relief for my friend planning her wedding, sleep therapy for my sister with two toddlers, so on and so forth.

I'm trying to keep from being generic :)

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to sequester them after the wedding in my hotel room and give them gifts over a bottle of champange.
  • MissMed07 said:
    Thanks ladies!

Robes are intimate items, and unfortunately a lot of brides who want to give them out are coming from a desire to have their wedding party members be photographed wearing them while "getting ready."  Many bridesmaids and MOHs just don't want to be photographed in intimate apparel or a state of undress, regardless of how nice the robes are.  Even if photographs aren't involved, they'd just rather not receive robes as gifts because they'd rather acquire them for themselves.  This is not to say that they won't be polite and gracious when they receive them-just that their politeness and graciousness cover up unpleasant feelings about receiving.
  • MissMed07 said:

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to sequester them after the wedding in my hotel room and give them gifts over a bottle of champange.

That's not what anyone said at all. Do not wait until after the wedding! you really want to go back to your hotel room after the party's done and haggle al lyour BMs there?? PPs specifically said at the rehearsal/dinner or getting ready the morning of.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    I think it is out of the norm to give wedding party members gifts at a bachelor/ette party, especially if non-wedding party members will be present.  It is normal to do it at the rehearsal dinner, but you can do it at any time provided only members of the wedding party are present.  Otherwise, you could hurt the feelings of others present who don't receive gifts.

I have yet to attend a rehearsal dinner in which ONLY wedding party members are present, so this suggestion seems contradictory.  I would agree that traditionally gifts to the wedding party are given out at the rehearsal dinner, however.  I'm also on the fence about hurting the feelings of others in attendance who do not receive gifts.  As an adult, I am capable of seeing someone open a gift without getting bent out of shape myself, especially if I am aware there is a potential for gifts to be involved.  I have attended holidays where I have watched others open gifts when I am not a recipient myself.  Children watch peers open gifts at birthday parties.  As most people realize, members of a wedding party are often gifted.  A bachelorette party may not be the best choice for presenting gifts to bridesmaids, but I don't know that I would consider it unusual or hurtful.

MissMed07 said:

That's not what anyone said at all. Do not wait until after the wedding! you really want to go back to your hotel room after the party's done and haggle al lyour BMs there?? PPs specifically said at the rehearsal/dinner or getting ready the morning of.

I actually read this response with a "sarcastic font", which I thought was fairly funny.
  • MobKaz said:

Jen4948 said:

I think it is out of the norm to give wedding party members gifts at a bachelor/ette party, especially if non-wedding party members will be present.  It is normal to do it at the rehearsal dinner, but you can do it at any time provided only members of the wedding party are present.  Otherwise, you could hurt the feelings of others present who don't receive gifts.

I have yet to attend a rehearsal dinner in which ONLY wedding party members are present, so this suggestion seems contradictory.  I would agree that traditionally gifts to the wedding party are given out at the rehearsal dinner, however.  I'm also on the fence about hurting the feelings of others in attendance who do not receive gifts.  As an adult, I am capable of seeing someone open a gift without getting bent out of shape myself, especially if I am aware there is a potential for gifts to be involved.  I have attended holidays where I have watched others open gifts when I am not a recipient myself.  Children watch peers open gifts at birthday parties.  As most people realize, members of a wedding party are often gifted.  A bachelorette party may not be the best choice for presenting gifts to bridesmaids, but I don't know that I would consider it unusual or hurtful.

Which is lovely for you, but I don't think works with everyone else in the real world.

It's just plain more considerate to give gifts at times and places where no one would be excluded-regardless of who might or might not get their panties in a twist.
  • That was a typo. I meant sequester them after the rehearsal dinner, in my hotel room lol.

• I've received gifts at rehearsals, but more often just during the morning/day that we're getting ready. If anyone is concerned about giving gifts in front of people, doing it while you're getting ready is certainly an option. 

• My bacholorette party was two weeks before my wedding. I gave my girls their gifts at the bachlorette party, but before any of the guests showed up. Part of their was a thirty one bag in a print that fit that girls personality. The bag was used as a gift bag, but then the girls were able to use the bags to put their stuff in it they would need to take to the church for getting ready so all they would have to do is grab their bag & dress & head out the door. Then after getting dressed they had a bag to put their regular clothes in. Again, this was just part of their gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards