Honeymoon Discussions

Airbnb Honeymoon in Italy

Hey! So with about 13 months to go and the major plans made, we are thinking about the honeymoon now. What we want is a trip to Italy, 3 days in Rome, 3 in Florence, 2 in Venice, and one night in Milan before flying home. I know this sounds like a lot but we really want to see as much as we can but also why we want to plan it ourselves so we can have as much or as little free time as we wish. Now originally we were going to use a travel company to book everything but now I am thinking about using Airbnb. I have found some really great places for less than a hotel. So I am posting this because I am just wondering if this is a little crazy? Has anyone out there done this before? Any suggestions? Oh and here are a few of the places I have looked at. https://www.airbnb.com/users/13735139/wishlists

Re: Airbnb Honeymoon in Italy

• I would seriously advise you to limit yourself to two locations.  Rome and Florence would be a good combination.  They are very different.  Rome has more emphasis on ancient history - the Colosseum, the Forum, and the Renaissance Vatican.  Florence is all about art and  the Renaissance.  The cities are connected by train.  Both are expensive.

Buy a copy of Rock Steves Italy guidebook.  He writes for budget travelers.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Well we are spending the most time in those two but I have been to both before as well and so Venice is the place I really want to go as I have never been there. I realize that it is very touristy but I think it will still be fun to see. Milan is just to fly out of because of the flights I was looking at. 
  • You might look at open jawed flights.  Fly into Rome and out of Venice.  It saves money and time.  I liked Venice, but be careful about the time of year.  Flooding is a huge problem.  I still think you are trying to cram too much into a week.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would skip one of the 2 cities you have already seen. Honestly I don't care much for Rome aside from the ancient history, so if it were me that would be the one to go since I've already been there and seen those things.

As @CMGragain said, do be mindful in Venice of the flooding, but I really really love Venice and think it would be absolutely worth having on your itinerary. If you were to ditch one of the other cities and have a few more days there, there are some lovely day trips you can make from there. (http://www.initaly.com/regions/friuli/friuli.htm)

As for your original question, we are going with Airbnb for our honeymoon. Because of the flexibility this, we haven't even booked the middle section of our trip because we are actually considering whether we think we need an extra night somewhere. We are flying into Brussels, and have booked an Airbnb there for 3 nights that is within walking distance of Cantillon, and we have booked 3 nights at an Airbnb in Paris (Montmartre) and then flying home from there. Our plan was to take the train from Belgium and spend two or three nights in the Champagne region in between there and our time in Paris. I've already located some great options for bed and breakfasts that are inside the Champagne houses, but I am wondering if I am going to want an extra day or so in Paris so I'm leaving that middle section open until we make up our minds. Because of the everchanging availability of air B&B, new things become available frequently so I am less worried about early booking. Also, worst case scenario we'll just stay extra time in Paris as our host for that leg of the stay has told us that her home will be available at least the night before we arrive.

I am actually staying at an Airbnb this evening, as I am taking a one night trip to Wichita. I will let you know how it goes, since it will be my first time to actually stay in one.

Good luck!
  • edited August 2015
    I don't think using Air B&B for a honeymoon is crazy at all. Everyone I know who has used ABB has been pleased. 

This does mean you have to be self-sufficient. Cook for yourself or eat out, get your guidebooks in order and maps, etc. EDIT: And clean up after yourself... eh. One of the nice things about staying at a hotel is being able to talk to the concierge. I find that especially helpful when staying overseas, so personally doing ABB overseas isn't something I'd do. EDIT- plus I like housekeeping services, so there's that. 

If it suits your travel style, have fun! I second the recommendation to get Rick Steves' books. 

• We rented an apartment through Airbnb for our HM in Florence last year. We had a great experience. The hosts were wonderful and the apartment had everything we needed. We cooked a few meals at our place, as there was a market just down the street. We were a little further out from the city center, but getting around was very easy. Our hosts also provided us with a great deal of information on the area and how best to get around. 

I also would cut out a city, mostly because of travel time. We did quick trips from Florence since that was our home base, and IMO it worked out great. We rented a car and drove to Pisa, then stayed overnight in Cinque Terre. On the way back we stopped in Lucca. We also took the train to Venice for an overnight. I feel if we packed in any more, we would have been exhausted. And trust me - we're active people. 
  • Hi!
    I use airbnb almost every year and there was never problem. This year we was in London, but for our honeymoon we've chosen hotel :).
  • Hi! My husband and I took a similar trip to Italy in 2013 and stayed in Airbnb throughout. It was perfect!

We booked an open jaw ticket flying into Venice and out of Rome, and were in Italy for 2 weeks. We started in Venice, took a train to Cinque Terre, stopped in Pisa on the way to Florence, then hopped another train to Rome. It's definitely doable. It's a busy trip though, so depends on what you're looking for. Rick Steve's Italy guide book was a God send.

Some thoughts:
    - Venice is like Disney Land and super touristy. You could get away with 2 days there
    - Cinque Terre is beautiful and great hiking! We only spent a day and a half there and it was perfect
    - Pisa - completely unnecessary stop/ waste of time
    - Florence - this was our FAVORITE! We spent 4 nights there, and had time to take a day bike trip through Tuscany and a day trip to Sienna. We never wanted to leave.
    - Rome - we spent 5 nights here. You really only need 1 day for ancient Rome, plus maybe 1 day sight seeing everything else and a day in the Vatican are enough/ museums/ shopping. We live in NYC, so outside of ancient Rome it kind of felt like any other city. We did a day trip to Pompeii which was pretty cool too.

Our airbnb options were amazing. PM me if you want the details and I'll happily share the links to the places we stayed.

Have an amazing time!
  • Planning gets me so excited! Too bad it is still a year away. Thanks for you comments. I am feeling much more confident about booking airbnb now. 
  • we are using airbnb for our hm in Florence in 5 weeks, I will let you know how it goes! But I felt strongly about using it, I wanted a kitchen and to be autonomous. Got a great apt with roof deck too, not that expensive!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards