Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Inviting someone involved with the day

I've got a question about etiquette for inviting people involved in the wedding. An acquaintance from church has offered us a post-ceremony carriage ride. Do you think I should invite her to the reception? An open invitation will be issued to the whole church, so she is welcome at the ceremony anyway. Is it too awkward to say yes, we want your carriage ride, but no, we don't want you at the reception?
I don't know her that well, so I wouldn't be considering inviting her otherwise. Also, she has a husband and two young kids, who I would have to include on the invitation. I'm happy to have kids there, but I'm hesitant about inviting 4 extra people because of a carriage ride.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!

Re: Inviting someone involved with the day

• Options
    No I don't think you have to invite her.  I would, however, give her a nice thank you gift for donating her time.

• Options
    Well, you don't have to accept the carriage ride. If accepting it doesn't work for you, you could write her a nice note of thanks but declining the ride.

But even if you accept the ride, I don't think that obligates you to invite her and her family. I do agree that a nice gift as thanks for the ride would be appropriate.
  • Options
    Agree with the above.

I don't think you are required to invite her to the reception, she did offer the carriage ride of her own volition. But I agree with sending her a thank you and gift for the ride. 
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Do you get the impression that she expects to be invited? Does she offer this routinely to fellow members getting married?

You don't have to invite her, but is it possible she thinks you two are closer than you think?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards