Wedding Etiquette Forum

jop etiquette

Hey all,
What are the etiquette rules of a private jop wedding then a reception with close family and friends on the same day?

Some things have come up and I might want to hurry things up and keep costs down. I've searched the boards and have only seen things regarding ppds or a wedding celebration party a few months after.

Re: jop etiquette

• Well having a small ceremony is not really going to save you a lot.  The main cost of any wedding is the reception (typically 60% of your budget should be put towards food and beverage and reception venue).

• If it's you & FI & JOP because of size limitations at cermony location, I think it's ok. But if you are doing it from a cost saving point. If you have the JOP come to where the reception is planned, you can have them perform the ceremony there for probably no additional cost or very little. Because you have to pay the JOP no matter where you have the ceremony. For the venue, if you have ceremony there, you may have to pay for an extra 30-60 minutes for having the venue, but you could always cut the reception shorter to compensate. Even if you need to have guests sit at their dinner tables to help reduce costs of set up, that would be acceptable too. Even if you plan on doing a dinner at a local resturant, if you do it at one that has a private room available, that would work nicely too.
  • DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    Well having a small ceremony is not really going to save you a lot.  The main cost of any wedding is the reception (typically 60% of your budget should be put towards food and beverage and reception venue).
    good point.

Edited to add: I said Private Jop wedding because if we go to the courthouse it is standing room only and I would not my guests to stand. 
  • DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    Erikan73 said:
    If it's you & FI & JOP because of size limitations at cermony location, I think it's ok. But if you are doing it from a cost saving point. If you have the JOP come to where the reception is planned, you can have them perform the ceremony there for probably no additional cost or very little. Because you have to pay the JOP no matter where you have the ceremony. For the venue, if you have ceremony there, you may have to pay for an extra 30-60 minutes for having the venue, but you could always cut the reception shorter to compensate. Even if you need to have guests sit at their dinner tables to help reduce costs of set up, that would be acceptable too. Even if you plan on doing a dinner at a local resturant, if you do it at one that has a private room available, that would work nicely too.

Thank You!!!!   You're brilliant. It would only cost me 87$  dollars extra to do that.  

• The reception is the expensive part of the day, not the ceremony. 
  • If it is a truly private ceremony, it is OK to have a larger celebration after, though if you can get the JOP to your venue so your guests can witness your ceremony, I think that would be ideal. (I love ceremonies!). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards