California-Los Angeles
Options

FH too involved? Is feeling irritated normal?

Vent!

My FH and I had a fight yesterday because I bought some stuff for the wedding without asking him his opinion.  They are for the centerpieces!  Keep in mind, we have a strict $10,000 budget for 175 guests, so I was going to use a combo of free centerpieces at our reception site, spruced up with some water light cubes and a few purple clear rocks.  I spend $100 (in the budget) for this stuff, and he freaked out yesterday.  I sware we had several conversations about it (because free+$100 for 20 centerpieces is a freaking steal).

On top of that, I had discussed with him a cake toper, either the initials or a crystal engraved heart with our names and the date.  He said he liked the crystal better than the monogram, so I bought it (for $14.96 including personalization), and yesterday, he tells me that was not an approval to use it.

I was apologetic yesterday, but the more I think about it, the madder I get!  He says he wants to be involved and have an opinion, but when I say its time to go to LA to buy stuff, or meet with the florist, or address the Save the Dates, he complains and wants to stay home and not be involved.  Them when I do things without him, he gets REALLY mad!

I love my FH, and we have been together a long time.  But as it gets closer (we are 116 days away as of today) he is starting to irritate me.  He never gets mad, and in 6 years, I can count the times he is mad and we fight under ten.

Is this normal?  Stress of the wedding?  What should I do?  I think if I bring this up again, he is only going to get mad all over again before hearing me out.

Re: FH too involved? Is feeling irritated normal?

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The bickering is completely normal.  DH and I were just talking last night how we haven't bickered since before we got married.  It's a stressful time, even if you don't mean it to be.  You should sit down with him and have a little chat.  Let him know that although 116 days seems far away (trust me, he's thinking you guys have plenty of time), it's time to get everything you need because you don't want to be scrambling to pull it all together a week before the wedding.  

When it comes time to purchase wedding items tell him a week before.  Then remind him a couple of days before.  Then the day of let him know that you're going to go purchase X,Y, and Z.  If he then says he doesn't want to go then tell him he has to be happy with whatever you bring back.  He's not allowed to complain if you two had discussed it before you left.  I know it seems like a lot but men need a ton of reminders or they'll say you never talked about it.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    gmjpeachgmjpeach member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks Jagore08!  I had this converstation with him, and I am feeling better.  He seems to be open to more converstations regardsing this rather than fighting about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards