Chit Chat
Options

Wording- only inviting guests over 19 yrs of age

How do I word the invites when we only want to invite people who are 19 years of age or older? We have way too much family to not cap it somewhere so we have chosen 19 (that way everyone can drink)

Re: Wording- only inviting guests over 19 yrs of age

• Options
    You only put the names of the people invited on the envelope.   

If you want let the big mouths of the families spread the word.   Every family has one.  You can somehow slip it into a conversation if the wedding comes up.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    The wording you use is the address- you only address the invitations to people who are invited.
  • Options
    So basically you're saying you want a no-kids wedding (which is totally fine). People who are 19 are legal adults, so they should get their own separate invite anyway. (For example, if one of the 19 yr olds you want to invite still lives at home with their parents, and you're also inviting the parents, you address one invite to the 19 yr old and another invite to mom & dad, and send both invites to the same address). 

As lynda said, address the invites to those who are invited and leave off the names of anyone who's not invited. I also agree with her that the family gossip can spread by word of mouth that kids are not invited. 

If someone RSVPs for their kid anyway, you'll just have to call them and say "sorry for the misunderstanding, but we aren't able to accomodate little Susie." Don't give excuses cuz that leaves room for arguing. 
  • Options
    How do I word the invites when we only want to invite people who are 19 years of age or older? We have way too much family to not cap it somewhere so we have chosen 19 (that way everyone can drink)
    As PP said, you do not put anywhere on the invite who is not invited. Address the envelope only to those guests who are invited.

If you're worried people will RSVP and add their children/18 years and younger, you could put on your RSVP card something along the lines "We have reserved ___ seats in your honor" and fill in the number of guests in addition to addressing the invite envelope to only those invited. If they still don't get the hint, then you will have to call and explain who the invite was for.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Just because I am curious, where do you live where 19 year olds can drink?

• Options
    I think parts of Canada have a 19 year old drinking age.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm guessing Canada
  • Options
    I'd guess Canada.  I grew up in Michigan and my friends and I often took weekend trips to Canada between the ages of 19-21, so we could barhop. 

• Options
    Probably Canada, most of the provinces are 19, a couple are 18. We live in Ontario where it's 19 to drink, so we used to cross the border to Quebec to drink at 18. 

It's a pain though when we used to go down to the States because I would always forget the drinking age was older. Thank goodness for fake ID :)
  • Options
    Yup.  Canada is 19, except for Alberta and Quebec which is 18.  Quebec, cos of the French tradition I assume, and here cos we're rednecks who brew our own moonshine. JK  ;)

• Options

Yup.  Canada is 19, except for Alberta and Quebec which is 18.  Quebec, cos of the French tradition I assume, and here cos we're rednecks who brew our own moonshine. JK  ;)

Manitoba is 18.

• Options
    I'll be the voice of the minority here and say that to me, personally, it's weird to do a cut-off based on who can drink. I understand you need to cap it somewhere though and I guess that's as good a spot as any.

Anyway, as others have said, just address the envelopes to those invited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards