New Jersey

Venue with Windows/Natural Light

My fiance and I originally wanted to do an October wedding with an outdoor ceremony, but it seems like that might be outside our budget. Instead, we're thinking of sticking with the fall theme but moving it to the off-season (so November) and bringing the ceremony indoors. However, we would really like to find a venue with a lot of windows/natural light so we can still have some of the outdoor feel and autumn prettiness. Any suggestions? We're planning on having about 75 guests and would like to stay below $100 pp. Thanks!

Re: Venue with Windows/Natural Light

• Try the Tides Estate or The Place on the Lake. Both are absolutely gorgeous. 
  • The tides is absolutely gorgeous! We are getting married there.. But the upstairs room will be above your budget for Novemeber if you want a Saturday (not sure about Friday or Sunday or Saturday day time though!). Also the upstairs room has a high minimum (200 for a Saturday night , I'm sure it's less for Friday or Sunday but i can't see it being as low as 75).
  • How about the Madison Hotel? There is a conservatory that is all glass. I'm not sure of the price per head, though. It looks like a bridal show is coming up in November. When I went to it, they were giving discounts for those who booked that night. Might be worth a shot. Oh and there is a video of a ceremony in the conservatory too. Good luck! http://www.madisonhotelweddings.com/weddings.html
  • Thanks everyone! I checked out the tides and it is beautiful, but the indoor ceremony space is kind of basement-y. We're considering spending a little more to have the outdoor wedding we really want, and if we do, the tides is definitely high on the list. One issue is that the room for our size wedding is also kind of basement-y, but we'll see. We're also checking out Doolan's Shore Club this weekend - it seems nice and affordable - as well as the Neshanic Valley Golf Course and the Channel Club (though I think that's over our budget). The Madison Hotel seems beautiful but sadly is out of our budget, at least based on the quote I received over email.

Do any of you have an idea in general how much venues typically come down in price when you actually meet with them? The tides came down and included some things, but we were talking about a November indoor wedding, so not sure any of that will stick if we try moving it back to early October so we can have it outdoors.

Thanks again for the help!
  • I'm in a similar boat! We actually visited Doolan's this past weekend, definitely affordable, but looks rundown on the outside. The ballrooms are nice but very dark, but the atrium has a lot of light. The thing that really turned me off to them is that they walked us right through someone's cocktail hour and into their wedding pictures. 

The Mill at Spring Lake Heights has a nice facility and is only a few minutes away from Doolan's.I LOVED their downstairs room, lots of windows and natural light, goes right out to a porch overlooking the lake. They unfortunately only use the downstairs for daytime weddings, but if you're open to Saturday afternoon or Sunday, I believe that area only holds a max of 80 guests so it could be right there for you! Their pricing is right on their website and 2015 is still good for 2016, and includes service charge. They're pretty popular and book up fast, so stop in if you have a chance before or after Doolan's, it can't hurt! The banquet manager there seems pretty willing to work with you, especially off season. 
  • You also might be able to get Buttonwood Manor in Matawan to work with you, their packages are $85-95 pp in the peak season ( I think May-Mid October ), but drop $10 pp in the off season, so if you're willing to do end of October they might work! They're also on a lake and do only 1 wedding at a time. I think the minimum is 100 adults in the peak season on a Saturday night and they're willing to work with you on numbers. 
  • Thanks! I worried that Doolan's might be lacking in nice-ness - I've read reviews that seem to suggest that, but I figured I'd keep an open mind. I am pretty sure I reached out to Buttonwood but haven't heard back - I'll have to call them (I try using email and online forms so I can sneak it in during work, but obviously not all places are super efficient). I'll look into The Mill but I think that's a little more than we want to spend - we're hoping to only go as high as $100 pp with fees.

Thanks again!!
  • I recommend The Mill in Spring Lake Heights.  We went and looked at Doolans as well and we did not like their rooms at all as the previous poster said it is older and though the atrium has a lot of light the ballrooms are very dark!  We chose the Mill as it is full of light very large windows overlooking a lake.  You can google it and they have photos online. 

• The Mill looks beautiful but it is also out of our price range for an October wedding. We really want to be able to do an outdoor fall wedding, which wouldn't be possible in November. Did you have any luck negotiating with them?

Thanks!
  • No :( I had to settle for March when I was really hoping for spring, HOWEVER I'm not sure if they are still doing this and I don't know if you should base your choice on this but the day we went to view it, they were having a bridal show and they offered a 10% discount if you booked at the bridal show, so of course we went back for it and booked then as we loved the space.  So I'm not sure if that is something they do for every show or if there are any coming up and you could try that. 
  • Oh also, I saw that you are having 75 guest, they do have a smaller room the Seinna room I believe it's called.  There is a separate menu for that room, it's not upstairs but downstairs but I believe it has large windows and there is a deck attached to it overlooking the lake.  I believe there is a different menu/price for that room and I think it's up to 85 guests.. Not sure if you looked into that or not. 
  • Okay, thanks. I just reached out to them - figured it couldn't hurt to ask. And I can look into the bridal show as well.

Thanks again for your help!
  • You're welcome!
  • KnotConciergeKnotConcierge Venue Concierge
    First Comment
    Hey Knotties!

Check out Venue Concierge by The Knot! It's a brand new (free!) service that connects brides like you to their dream wedding venue. 

We have experts in each city that will work one on one with you and recommend gorgeous venues in your area. Kelsey is our New Jersey expert, and she would love to help you! Feel free to email her directly at kelseyo@theknot.com or head over to theknot.com/concierge for more info.

Best of luck!!

XO,
    Molly

• Hey Knotties!

Check out Venue Concierge by The Knot! It's a brand new (free!) service that connects brides like you to their dream wedding venue. 

We have experts in each city that will work one on one with you and recommend gorgeous venues in your area. Kelsey is our New Jersey expert, and she would love to help you! Feel free to email her directly at kelseyo@theknot.com or head over to theknot.com/concierge for more info.

Best of luck!!

XO,
    Molly

How do you select your "experts"?  Does the NJ "expert" actually live in the state?  Are only venues that advertise with TheKnot recommended or are all venues considered?  Just curious. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards