Nevada-Las Vegas

Opinions of Dollar Dances?

Every wedding I have gone to has had a dollar dance, except my sisters. What are people's opinions? I sort of feel weird about it as people are already paying money to be at our wedding. I do like the concept of having a few moments along with guests though.

Re: Opinions of Dollar Dances?

• Eh if you don't feel comfortable with it, don't do it. For instance, I know the "garter" thing is a big tradition with weddings I've been to but the whole thing just creeps me out. I'm still throwing a bouquet though! It's your wedding, do what makes you (and your groom) feel comfortable. 

If you like the idea of people pinning money but don't like the idea of them spending for it, why not just get some fake money for them to pin your dress? 

I actually have a ton of fake money leftover from my Bat-Mitzvah (that was Vegas themed), so I plan to do a "money shot" and have everyone throw the bills up in the air so we can take some pictures with it. I think it will be fun. Not so much fun to clean haha.
  • That would make an awesome photo! Great idea!
  • Two high school friends of mine made it a dollar dance for charity. Dollars for the bride went to an adult literacy charity (she's an English teacher), and dollars for the groom went to the American Cancer Society (his dad passed from cancer the year before). 

They also gave out a shot of whiskey for every dollar, but I'm sure that part's optional XD
  • I have never heard of a dollar dance before joining these boards. To me, I think it's kind of uncouth, especially when guests are already paying to travel and take part.
  • Dollar dance seems to have its roots in certain areas of the country and/or certain cultures.  I personally find it tacky and it makes me think of strip clubs lol, others wouldn't have a wedding without it.  

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I've never heard or seen one of these dances before, but I googled just now and it looks like any other kind of fun/funky tradition. As everyone said, if you feel awkward about it, skip it... I did like the idea of doing a charity dollar dance though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards