Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Coming from the UK - are you/did you get your dress steamed?

Hi all,

My dress will be packed into one of those dress boxes and after a 11 hour flight I am wondering if I should get it steamed to be on the safe side?

I will be arriving on the Saturday afternoon and getting married on the Tuesday so wondering if hanging it up in the closet will be enough for all the wrinkles to drop out - it is lace all over!

What did you do/or planning to do? :)

Re: Coming from the UK - are you/did you get your dress steamed?

• Options
    I was wondering something similar. I'm planning on wearing a chiffon dress & linen jacket. Said outfit will have been carted round several states in my case for a month before the wedding (we're travelling round before finishing up in LV for the wedding).

My cousin & his wife are flying in from Phoenix & have offered to bring our outfits with them as we're having a few days with them when we first arrive in the States. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that 24 hours hanging up will do the trick, don't want to risk an iron.
  • Options
    I used TuxOne to steam our dress and suit after travel, and they did a great job. $75 including pickup and drop-off service (I just left them at the bell desk and got them back later that same day) for a two-piece suit and a short, relatively simple dress. Vicki, the owner, was lovely to work with. She will send you a quote by phone or email if you send her pictures of your dress or a link to it online.

You could also use the hotel laundry wherever you're staying. I didn't want to do that because I've had unbelievably bad luck with clothes disappearing or getting damaged in hotel laundries, but plenty of people do it and don't have my problems! XD
  • Options
    I had my dress pressed at Creative Bridal Wear, they also do pick up and drop off.  My dress was silk and had to be hand pressed so it was a little pricey ($145) but if your dress is less involved it would be less.  Kelly was great to work with.

www.creativebridalwear.com
  • Options
    Hi,
    Also went to Vegas from UK, when we finally arrived I just hung my dress up in the bag, then the night before I hung the dress near the bathroom and ran the shower and the steam seemed to get out all the creases.
    Good luck!
    xx
  • Options
    I also came from the uk and hung my dress and veil up in the bathroom to steam with the shower of full heat, this worked really well no need for a professional steam x
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also came from the uk and hung my dress and veil up in the bathroom to steam with the shower of full heat, this worked really well no need for a professional steam x
    Totally plan on doing this, depending on what I end up wearing!
  • Options
    Il give this a go as well but I'm not sure how well it will work as mine is a form of lightweight silk with a pattern printed on. Totally didn't think I would go for that fabric but ironically when I was trying dresses on, on a hot August day that was the dress I felt coolest in plus was the lightest as it doesn't have petticoats. Was so weird and completely not what I was expecting :)
  • Options
    Thanks all - my dress is all lace so think I will give the shower thing a go.
  • Options
    If it's any help to anyone we used the hotel laundry service (travelled from the U.K) we had 5 kilts, jackets and waistcoats which I think worked out about $20 per set. The bridesmaid dresses were around $15 each and brides dress (mine) $75. We arrived the Monday and were married the Wednesday. You can get a one day rush which was what we did. Just make sure you tell them steam/press only!! If you feel you have a little time in the miracle mile mall there are stall selling the portable steamers which look amazing if you wanted to do a bit of DIY. The kilts were done at Planet Hollywood and MGM for the brides stuff.
  • Options
    Il give this a go as well but I'm not sure how well it will work as mine is a form of lightweight silk with a pattern printed on. Totally didn't think I would go for that fabric but ironically when I was trying dresses on, on a hot August day that was the dress I felt coolest in plus was the lightest as it doesn't have petticoats. Was so weird and completely not what I was expecting :)
    Can confirm. Silk is heavenly in the heat and torture in cold.
  • Options
    Ugh still on the fence about steaming. But if I do, TuxOne seems like the best. They quoted me $50 for a steam if I drop it off and pick it up myself (+$25 if I want to have it picked up and delivered). I hate paying $50 for a dress steam but my dress is one layer or chiffon and satin underneath, so I don't know how well a shower steam would look.
  • Options
    adverb said:
    Ugh still on the fence about steaming. But if I do, TuxOne seems like the best. They quoted me $50 for a steam if I drop it off and pick it up myself (+$25 if I want to have it picked up and delivered). I hate paying $50 for a dress steam but my dress is one layer or chiffon and satin underneath, so I don't know how well a shower steam would look.
    When in doubt, try it at home! You've got a couple days before you fly out. :)
  • Options
    @xoeden - Actually the dress is in the bag now since we left home and are staying at his parent's house before the wedding. I'll probably just bite the bullet and pay the $50 for steaming. I know it's not that bad compared to what other vendors I was looking at would charge.
  • Options
    @adverb - $50 for steaming is really cheap from what I've seen on the boards! So excited for you!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards